Unsinkable and Undead | Teen Ink

Unsinkable and Undead

November 4, 2013
By haleybruner BRONZE, Jonesboro, Arkansas
haleybruner BRONZE, Jonesboro, Arkansas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The amazing, Titanic was the huge ship everyone wanted to sail home to America on. During this period, 1912, the boat was separated between high, middle, and low class. High class had the very top floors, middle class had the middle floors, and low class had the very bottom floors. She was known to be the greatest ship of her time. “Unsinkable and Undead.”
As the boat was getting ready to leave, people who weren’t on yet started boarding in a hurried fashion. There were hundreds of people already on the top deck waving down to the crowd of people who were staying. The ship began to leave as a young man, Jack Dawson, and his two fellow friends ran towards the boat shouting, “Waaaait!! Wait! Here we come!” They had made it just in time after gambling in a near by bar earning enough money for the three to get tickets to board the boat. The three were very poor and were placed on the lower class floors, but they did not care as long as they were getting a ride home on the greatest ship in the world. Jack wandered around the boat, staring at all the great sights from the very tip of the ship. He stood at the top with arms wide open, letting the wind push back his silky hair. At this same time, a young woman by the name of Rose Calvert, who was very high class, roamed the ship as well after boarding with her snobby fiance, mother, and her mother’s sister. She stood at the opposite end of the ship, standing at the very tip, letting the wind push her long, red hair back. Rose was in a depression state from being forced to marry this wealthy man, who was very fond of himself and considered himself to have some kind of dictatorship over her. She stood on the railing of the tip of the ship, kicking one leg over, then the other. She gripped the railing and leaned over, gazing at the ocean water splashing together.

Jack begin to walk around the to the other end of the ship to finish his tour of the ship. He noticed her and began to talk her out of jumping and after a moment of her thought, he was pulling her back up to safety. The two created a great bond together and remained seeing each other as a secret due to his low class appearance. They tried to keep it a secret from her fiance, Billy, who would do anything to make sure he became hers. Later on the secret had been out and they were discovered. Billy paid a man so he could use him for help. The more angry he became at the two, he began to plot a way to kill Jack and make Rose all his again. The man who was helping Billy thought in his head, “This plan will never work. I must do think of something better.” He walked into the first-aid room to look for some sort of secret, hidden injection that he knew would give Billy some sort of superhuman powers. He broke into the class cabinet and snatched out the injection. He came around the corner to sneak up on Billy, because he knew he would never let him do it to him. Billy turned around and the man immediately injected the needle right into Billy’s chest, near his heart. Billy fell to the ground and the man stood in shock. He thought he had grabbed the wrong injection and killed him. After a moment, Billy grunted with pain and rose from the floor. His eyes had turned dark grey with a tint of a yellow-green color. His skin grew pale and began to tear in places. Blood rolled out of the open wounds that appeared from nowhere, it had seemed. The man backed away in fear as he watched Billy transform. As he tried to run away, Billy grabbed him by the leg and bit him as hard as he could. Suddenly, the same thing begin to happen to the man.

The two men begin to walk into the main dining area where everyone was eating. The people screamed as the watched the two walk around with limps. They bit anyone who was in their path, infecting more and more people. Soon to become, was a mass of zombie-like creatures who were on the hunt for anyone who was still human, but Billy had only two people in mind. Rose and Jack. Rose and Jack were standing on the deck of the ship. The guards, who watched from the top of the boat, noticed something in the distance, what had appeared to be an iceberg. They panicked and notified the captain and main men as soon as possible. They did everything they could to try and turn the boat in the opposite direction of the iceberg, but it was too late and it began to scrape down the side of the ship, creating a massive hole at the bottom. Rose and Jack stood in shock as they watched the ice fall beside them on the deck. They ran to find her family and find safety. The captain worried that the ship would sink, but was sure it could not. An engineer had informed him that it was definitely going to go down within an hour and a half. He sent out all his men to inform everyone to put on their life vests and prepare to be put on safety boats. Soon, they discovered that people had become infected and tried to escape but one after one, the people continued to bite. More people were infected and Rose and Jack began to notice as they were running past people.

Rose informed Jack that they could go to top floor where she was staying and find safety. They busted into the room where she found her mother and her mothers sister. She introduced Jack and suddenly after informed them both that the ship was sinking, along with crowds full of infected people. They begin to walk out of the room to get onto a safety boat. At that moment, Billy and his sideman were entering the room. They screamed and fought them so they could continue to get away. They made their way to the top deck where the people who weren’t infected yet were jumping into safety boats and getting into the water. Rose’s mother and aunt made it into the boat, but Rose noticed that Jack had gone back to save his friends. She left her mother and aunt in the boat and went back to find Jack. Billy caught Jack and almost bit him until Rose saved him. The boat was almost underwater, and Jack was yet to find his friends. They ran to the very top of the boat with other people, while trying to stay away from the infected zombies. The boat was in a vertical position and was headed to the ocean floor. Jack told Rose that if she held onto his hand and jumped when he did that they could survive. The boat was almost completely under and Jack shouted, “Jump!!” They jumped and along with others, they were able to find the surface. The zombies were still surrounding them in the water. Jack pushed Rose onto a broken door that was floating near by so she could remain warm from the freezing water. He held onto her as he stayed in the water. He promised her someone would come back for her and she would survive. The two fell asleep waiting for any safety boat to pick them up.

Jack woke up from something bumping into him. He turned around to see that it was Billy who was still on the hunt for him. Jack struggled to get away from Billy, but his hand was frozen solid to Rose’s. She was still asleep as he was trying to get away, but Billy got the best of Jack and bit right through his free arm. Billy fought to try and drown Jack, but couldn’t get him free from Rose. Jack used his right arm to pull Billy underneath him and held him down with all his power to make sure Billy would drown. Soon enough, he was sinking to the bottom of the ocean. Jack, barely human now, looked to Rose who was just waking up from all the motion. She looked into Jack’s eyes and saw the color change. She stared with fear as she was asking how this happened. There wasn’t much longer before Jack would form into a full zombie and bite her, so he mumbled and grunted words to her. She asked, “What Jack? What is it?” He said, “Let go..” She replied, “No, Jack! I will never let go, you will survive with me.” He moaned with pain, “Rose, let go of me. I will infect you if you do not.” She looked at him as a tear rolled down her right cheek. His skin started discoloring and his face grew ugly. He shouted, “Now, Rose! Hurry!” She pulled as hard as she could to free herself from his hand. It broke lose and she held his head under with all her strength. He tried to not fight back, but it was getting tough for him. A release of pressure felt upon Rose’s arm. She looked down to see Jack face up sinking slowly to the bottom. She whispered, “I’ll never let go.”

A sudden bright light came over Rose as she laid on the floating door, waiting. She could hear from a distance, “Is there anyone out there?! We can help you! Is there anyone? Anyone?” Her throat was numb, seeming almost frozen. Her voice couldn’t be heard from a foot away. She saw a man laying on a piece of wood with a whistle around his neck and jumped off to go grab it. She blew the whistle as fast and as loud as she could. The guards noticed her and made their way towards her. All she remembered was waking up in New York City. She stood at the top of a large boat, where the remaining survivors were recovering. She was staring at the Statue of Liberty as a man asked her what her name was. She replied, “Dawson, Rose Dawson.”


The author's comments:
My piece was inspired by the Titanic, along with my creative writing teacher.