The Jabberwock | Teen Ink

The Jabberwock

By Mushroom SILVER, Skagway, Alaska
Mushroom SILVER, Skagway, Alaska

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

"If God is for us, who can be against us?"
-Romans 8:31

As I rested in my father’s cabin surrounded by Tumtum trees my mind pondered over my assigned mission. The words of my father still rang in my head.

“Beware the Jabberwock my son, the jaws that bite the claws that catch!”

My mind thought of the Sword, the Vorpal Sword resting near the window. My quest is to seek the Jabberwock and take its head to see it there no more. I got up and searched around. Donning my coat, my hat, and my boots, I left the place behind my back. Hardly had I left when the Jubjub bird grabbed my hat. Throwing my sword at the foul game I shot it in the heart.

As a Bandersnatch appeared ahead I thought revenge would come to me; fourteen goats had he slain, nineteen pigs raised in vain. A burning desire had I to slay this foul beast. But as he looked at my sword and the slain Jubjub bird, he backed away and left me alone. My avarice deserted me. The image of him branded in my mind, a power came to me. A dozen feet tall and fangs like a tiger’s, the Bandersnatch had cowered and left me alone.

My self-esteem towered as I faced the Jabberwock, 20 feet tall with eyes of steel and wings like a bat’s; when it swooped, my sword snapped and coat tore by his claws. Then I assailed the beast and wrestled it down, my weight 10 times less. Though much stronger, it could not shake me. Wielding thence my sword remnant I slew the Jabberwock, severing its abhorrent crown.

Crown in arm, I returned home to my awaiting father.
“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock? Come to my arms, my beamish boy. Oh Frabjous day! Calooh Callay!” He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

My adaptation of Lewis Caroll's poem.

Mushroom SILVER, Skagway, Alaska

- General George Patton Jr

-Romans 8:31

Thank you for your feedback.

Honour SILVER said...
Honour SILVER, New London, Connecticut

Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ~John 15:13

"Give me liberty or give me death!" ~Patrick Henry

Be brave and steadfast; have no fear or dread of them, for it is the Lord, your God, who marches with you; he will never fail you or forsake you. ~ Deuteronomy 31:6

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" ~ Thomas Jefferson

So you did a good job, it's a cool story.  Is uggest using a little more...imagery when writing, you know leave some to the imagination but just describe a bit better.  Other than that good job!

Mushroom SILVER, Skagway, Alaska

- General George Patton Jr

-Romans 8:31

Thanks! 

GreekGoddess BRONZE, Andover, Connecticut

"The unprepared rebel dies in the fire."
~unknown

I love it, a take on the Jabberock poem... now I want to go write about the Jabberock...

Danny225 said...
Everybody Loves Entoligical Novels, And Withstanding Recovery Of Thusly Enigmatic, This Haven I Segrotiate.

Mushroom SILVER, Skagway, Alaska

- General George Patton Jr

-Romans 8:31

Thanks Danny!

Danny224 said...
This is great Rocky!