Gladiator | Teen Ink

Gladiator

By Russell Chandler BRONZE, Weiser, Idaho
Russell Chandler BRONZE, Weiser, Idaho

I ran like I never had before. I ran fast, faster than anyone else but it didn't matter any more because I had just disappeared. I could still see my self but I was guessing that I had disappeared from earth. I had fell through the track like there had been a hole in the track; well there must have been some kind of hole in the track because I had fallen somewhere. I had time to think about all of this before I hit water. it felt like had just jumped from twenty feet onto cement. I held my pain. I needed to figure out where I was. I swam until I hit something. A wall, not much but still a discovery. I followed it but there was nothing. The room was round and I was trapped in some unknown space that no one even knew existed. My only choice now was to swim down. I dove under the water. I swam until I could no longer bear it. and then some. It seemed to go on forever and at the very bottom of there was some kind of light. But i didn't have time to think for much longer because I had just disappeared again.
This time it was different. It was like I was seeing myself move through the air from a third person view. it didn't last for long though. My body moved out of the water and passed right through the wall into a brightly lit room with bleached white walls. I puked once then again; then a voice said, "short range teleportation can be quite difficult for you humans; you are lucky you survived. Now that you have passed the strength test we will use you for the reason we brought you. To compete.
My body disappeared for the third time today. It must have also been short range teleportation because I puked when I reappeared. I was in a big open space. The ground was sandy, black dirt. I looked around at the gigantic space in front of me. Then it hit me; I was in an arena. There was no doors on the round wall which meant you probably only got out by teleportation because the walls were at least 20 feet tall. The thing that scared me the most was the being standing on the other side of the arena. It was a ten foot tall giant with an amphibian like body. It was holding a giant trident that looked like it was bigger than me and a fishermans net. I had no doubt that he knew how to use them. A spear appeared before me; it looked like a toothpick compared to the fish giant. I didn’t know who these aliens were but they were either crazy or really smart. The point of these competitions was probably to keep the populous in fear of being carried off to be a gladiator. The fish man charged. He crossed the expanse in a matter of seconds and threw his net at me. I had no chance of dodging it; no chance at all. It hit me with surprising force and the weights on the sides brought me down. The fish giant rushed me with his trident and as he was thrusting it down at me I pushed my spear through the mesh of the net and hit the fish giants hand right before his trident struck home. he made a horrid gurgling sound and dropped his trident. My spear, which was still lodged in his hand, was ripped out of my own. I squirmed with all my might to escape the net before the fish giant recovered. I escaped the net just as my opponent came rushing back and grabbed the trident. It was super heavy and I could barely lift it, but I was able to raise it up and stick it out in front of me right before the fish giant hit me. The trident impaled him all the way through. Then once again I disappeared.
I reappeared in a room that looked suspiciously like a jail cell. It had a plain bed a sink and a toilet. None of them were fancy but they weren’t dirty or broken. Also I it must not have been very close to where I was before because It had not hurt this time. I guessed they had decided that I was good enough to keep and so they would keep me here until they were ready for me again. I kind of felt proud of myself for a second, but then I stopped myself. Why should I be proud when I’m in a prison on some alien planet nobody probably even knows about. I sat down on my bed and thought. If I could win all of my gladiator battles maybe I could grow out of my position.
Six Years Later
I hadn’t lost a single battle since that day. They got me out frequently to fight frequently. The battle that was just started was number 362. The battles had gotten much harder, but my skills got better. I was planning on winning this battle with ease. My opponent was standing on the other side of the area just like the other 362 times. It was a pathetic citizen. One of the subjects of their king who had been abducted to come and fight. I rushed him with my spear that had appeared in my hands just seconds before. I crossed the arena in seconds the alien just stood there. It didn’t seem scared, but it just stood there. I stopped because I was puzzled. They usually either ran toward me or away from me. I didn’t strike; I would wait until they went first. Still they did nothing supposed opponent did nothing. I didn’t know what to do. Did I just stand here and wait or should I strike. I would feel bad if I killed him without him fighting back. I decided I could face it. I stabbed the alien through the chest. I wanted it to be a quick death for someone who was probably innocent. Before my spear could make contact I teleported. I reappeared in a room without my spear. The room was finely furnished and at one end was a large chair with a figure sitting it. It was obviously a man. This didn’t surprise me though. The thing that surprise me was that he was a human. He was the first human I had seen in 6 years. I went up to the throne like seat and stopped. Next to it was one of the machines that you used to teleport something. The man started to talk, “I am the ruler of this race and you have passed my tests. Now that I know that I have a trusting human being I can appoint you as the leader of my military. I have recently been to Earth and I have decided that I cannot find another better human.” I looked at the machine next to him and got an Idea. I would have to act quick. I ran to the machine and jumped inside. I hit the activation button and hoped that it was still set for Earth.