freak accident, chapter one | Teen Ink

freak accident, chapter one

January 14, 2014
By evekatrina BRONZE, Red Lion, Pennsylvania
evekatrina BRONZE, Red Lion, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Aden! Come downstairs or you’re going to be late for your first day!” My mother called up from the bottom of the steps. I slept in too late to look nice, but I don't think anyone is going to be concerned. My short dark brown hair stuck up awkwardly, I made a note to remember to stop going to sleep with my hair wet. It took me a minute to steady myself after I hopped out of bed, with blurry vision I reached for my black rimmed glasses. I felt sick thinking about walking those halls again, knowing that five students were gone, knowing that their deaths weren’t resolved. Going about my day everyday feels like I’m allowing this fallacious reality to continue, and in a sense I guess that’s exactly what I am doing.

“Hey mom, is it okay if I take dad’s car?” My mom was standing by the toaster in a greyish purple robe, she looked at me with wide eyes.

“Aden, you should really comb your hair.” She sighed and looked back down at the toaster anticipating her bread to pop up.

“The car, mom.” I quickly swung my empty bookbag over my shoulder.

“That’s fine. Have a good first day.” My mother smiled a practiced smile and blankly looked at me for a moment more. I looked at her, she looked like she didn’t get much sleep the night before. I smiled back though and made my way to the door. “Oh, Aden! I’ll be out late tonight, I’ve got a meeting in the square.” My mother called before I closed the door.

My father drives an old volkswagen rabbit but he left it here when he flew to my aunts house a week ago. My parents have been in a constant war zone lately. They won’t admit it. My mother tells me my father went to stay with my Aunt Barb because she’s been sick lately. I’m not sure if that’s the truth or just an excuse. And to be completely honest I don’t care either way. This car is crap, but it’s better than the bus.

Summer break felt like a complete wash after the second week. The sun beat down everyday and the tragedy that impacted the town of East Grove weighed everyone down. I'm going into my senior year. Five of my peer students were found dead two weeks into the summer vacation. “Nothing but a freak accident,” is what the reports said. One of the teens that was found dead was my friend Lucy Hayes, we sat on the bus together until she got her licenses last year. I was fond of her because she wasn't worried about her reputation. She was on the cheer squad and had a lot of friends by association. Yet, she was still humble enough to save a seat for me on the bus. I always felt so cool about that. When she got her licenses I didn't see her much. I didn't really think on it because it wasn't like we were great friends or anything. After the incident that caused madness in my town the summer felt like a silent reminder everyday that the deaths of the teenagers went unresolved. The whole town sweated sadness in the heat of the day. I saw the dark circles under their eyes when I walk through the square of my town, and nobody stays out late, the sheriff still patrols regularly. People have been scared shitless, that’s another reason why school this year feels so trivial. Everyone in this town has been affected and it kills me that there’s nothing I can do about it.

I’ve never really liked high school, I guess that probably goes for most kids my age. I mean, I’ve got some people who I’m friends with and it’s not like I have any enemies that make me want to ignore certain hall ways or anything. High school has always just been something I have to do, like it or not.
“Aden! My brother! How are ya?” Hudson Clark one of my my best friend from last school year put his arm around my neck jokingly. I hadn’t seen Hudson much during the summer, but in all reality I didn’t really see many of my friends. Hudson is a strong guy, he plays football, he’s really well liked at my school. He’s got it all. I never really understood why he likes hanging out with me, since we’re complete opposites.

“Hey man, I’m alright, not glad to be back here.” I pushed my way out of his hold.

“It’s weird, isn't it?” He didn’t wait for me to answer that, his stare was distant, he was scanning the halls for something or someone. “Well hey, find me at lunch! Senior year baby!” Hudson ran down the halls catching up with some other guys he plays football with. The halls started to clear out as the clock got closer to the bell. My locker wouldn’t unlock, I was rushing, it’s never good to be late to class on your first day, senior or not.

“Need some help?” This girl stood near my locker, I have never seen her before. She had her hair pulled back into a braid and she had carmel skin that matched her eyes. Holy cow.

“Uh, sure.” I moved out of the way for her to give it a try. The girl let me know that the locker was just jammed. She got it open pretty quickly, I felt lame for not being able to get it myself. “Thanks…Sorry, what’s your name? I don’t think I’ve seen you around.”

“Mia, and you’re welcome. I just moved here. Im pretty good with lockers.” she joked holding in a giggle. I couldn’t help but wonder why she moved to East Grove, why on earth anyone would move here beats me.

“Welcome to East Grove.” I said kinda sarcastically. “Anyways, thanks for the locker help, I’ll see you around.” I left and made my way to first period.

“Alright, alright, everyone settle down and find a seat.” A young, tall, lanky man with thinning hair stood in front of the classroom. Hudson, who was in this class with me sat in the corner with other varsity jacket wearing kids talking loudly about the incident from over the summer. It immediately aggravated me. Their voices died off when Mr.Scott started talking again. “Welcome back seniors, I know this summer was hard for some of us but I hope we can put all that behind us. I have a good feeling about this year.” Mr. Scott kept talking about how if we show him respect he would give it to us in return, stuff like no tolerance for slackers. I kinda felt bad for him because no one was falling for his strict front, teachers like him get bullied by students, no matter how many respect rules they mandate, no matter what tough act they put on the first week of school. I can’t blame him for trying though.

When the lunch bell rang I went outside to the the courtyard, where I’ve gone every other year for lunch. There was a little section in the corner with balloons and posters dedicated to the teenagers. There was a large picture of a smiling Lucy on one of the posters and looking at it made my throat tighten up. The five teens that were found dead weren’t friends with each other. Which made it strange for everyone to come together to mourn, it caused social groups to mutate and people connect through their losses. I watched as this happened in the courtyard. Lucy’s friends were sitting all together with another group as if they were all connected. In some sense I guess they may be, still though I wonder how long it will last. The courtyard filled up. I saw Mia sitting by a scrawny kid by the water fountain. I walked over to Mia.

“Hey.” I stood near her waiting until she responded to step any closer.

“Oh hi, I never got your name?” I was relieved she sounded so friendly, I wasn’t sure where Hudson was and I wasn’t about to eat alone.

“It’s Aden. How’s your first day going?” I sat down beside her. Mia told me about her weird teachers, and about the one’s she has liked so far. She told me about getting lost almost every time she’s going to the next class. I assured her it gets easier.“So, where did you move from?” I was curious. Mia looked down at her water bottle and told me she’s from Pennsylvania, which was hours away from East Grove. She told me she is okay with the move because it’s nicer here. I let her know she would have to be truly insane to to think East Grove was nice. She just smiled and said that she’s been called worse.

“It’s just my dad and I that moved here.” Mia told me. I guessed maybe her parents got a divorce. “It’s been kinda rough, everyone is pretty welcoming here.”

“Where in town did you move?”

“It’s called The Silver Gate Gardens.” I was happy to hear that her development was so close to mine. I honestly kinda hoped that I could see more of her.

“Aden!” Hudson found me and pulled me away from Mia, but before he pulled me away I called for her to meet me here at the end of the day, she nodded and waved. Hudson and I walked around the courtyard and he introduced me to a bunch of his friends I’ve already met before. But, I knew he was introducing me for his friends sake not mine. Hudson was a smart guy, but in front of his other friends he played up the role of being a complete bone head.

The rest of the school day was repetitive. The teachers all made us fill out get-to-know -me worksheets and asked us about our summer. The teachers avoided bringing up the accident but I heard kids talking in low voices everywhere I went about it. When school ended I made my way to the water fountain I asked Mia to meet me at.

“I was thinking, I could give you a ride home today, since we live so close.” I offered.
Mia looked shocked that I asked her.

“My dad would flip if I got a ride home with someone he’s never met.”

“Oh, okay.” I wasn’t expecting her to say no. I immediately felt awkward, I wanted to apologize for even asking.

“But, if you’re not doing anything tonight you could come over and meet him, so we can avoid this issue in the future.” Mia suggested as an alternative, staring at my flushed cheeks. She gave me her address and ran to catch her bus. I was strangely excited to see her again.

When I got home my mom had left a note and some money on the counter for dinner. The house was silent which used to make me uncomfortable. Ever since then I’ve been leaving the television on in the living room. Today though I just decided to take a walk until Mia called me to tell me it was okay to come over. I’ve always liked going on walks. I live fairly close to the square of the town. In the square there’s a pizza shop and a coffee shop. There’s a few antique stores too, but that’s it. There’s not much else going on in the small and now silent town of East Grove. I walked in circles until Mia called me.

Her house looked identical to every other house in her development. Since I was young I made a promise to myself that I would never live in one of those houses. I can’t necessarily think poorly of Mia for her housing but I just don’t think I will ever understand why someone would want to live in a house in a development with those repetitious model houses. I rang the doorbell twice. I should have just rang it once she’s gonna think I’m being impatient. A massive dark skinned man opened the door. The man was about six foot five, maybe. I was just reaching five eleven, I felt intimidated just by standing near him.

“Hello, I’m Mr. Williams, would you like to come in?” He reached out his hand, with a firm grasp I shook it and he moved to the side and let me in. The house looked as if nobody had been living in it, maybe they just haven’t finished unpacking yet. The walls were white. The carpet was white. It was just immaculate as if it hasn’t had any living to it. Mia stepped into the foyer.

“Dad, this is Aden, Aden, my father.” she motioned at the man standing beside her.

“Dinner will be done soon, are you staying for dinner, boy?” Mr.Williams asked me. I looked at Mia and she nodded and smiled as if to say that she wanted me to stay.

“If you’ll have me.” I responded.

“I’ll call you down when it’s ready.” Mia’s father disappeared into the kitchen.

Mia turned to to face me. “He gets nicer, I promise. Do you want a tour?”

“Yeah, sure.” I smiled giving her the okay. Mia slowly lead me up the stairs, the white walls continued up onto the next floor.

“This is my room, I haven’t unpacked everything yet.” The room was painted a light green probably from the previous owner. I looked around her room. She had track metals, and stuffed animals on her dresser. I laughed at her collection of teddy bears. Mia hit my arm and laughed along with me. Mia’s dad called up from the foyer telling us that dinner was ready. Mia started out the door and I followed behind her. But, then I saw something I never could have thought possible. Laying on the top of an unpacked box laid a picture frame. The picture was of Mia smiling with a yellow sundress on, standing next to her with her mouth wide open in a burst of laughed stood a golden haired Lucy Hayes. Mia turned around realizing I hadn’t come out of the room yet.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I never put that away.” She took the frame out of my hand and put it in her dresser drawer quickly. “Ready to eat?” I didn’t know that Mia knew Lucy, it was so strange. Mia looked slightly upset about me seeing the picture.

“How did you know Lucy?” I started to question.

“Uh, we were just old friends, I don’t really want to talk about it.” Mia responded. I asked no more.

During dinner I was having a hard time thinking of anything else but how they might have known each other. Maybe they really were old friends, and when Lucy died they moved to East Grove for some sort of closure. None of it really made sense to me. But it gave me a spark of hope, because there’s a chance I’m not the only one who wants to get to the bottom of the “freak accident. There’s a chance Mia will help me figure it all out...


The author's comments:
chapter one