Clairvoyant | Teen Ink

Clairvoyant

By neeka7 SILVER, Herndon, Virginia
neeka7 SILVER, Herndon, Virginia

"We do it because we're committed, because we're believers." -Christiane Amanpour

Some say it’s a gift, others say it’s a curse. Either way, I’m stuck with it.

As I walked into first period, I experienced a pang of disbelief. The door to the classroom was a daunting structure. This was it, I thought. The moment everyone had been waiting for, yet I had been dreading (for major reasons, I promise). Senior year.

You see I come from a long line of—je ne sais quoi—sorcerers? Maybe that’s not the right word. Well, each of my family members has a special power, and I’m pretty sure I got stuck with the worst one. To be perfectly fair and avoid being labeled as an ungrateful brat, I probably should tell you what this special power is. Only thing is I can’t. I’m sworn to secrecy.

The only way to get rid of this curse (yes, I call it a curse) is to find love. Then I’ll be free to live my life without the reigns of this blasphemy. Did that sound dramatic? That was what I was going for. Oh, and did I mention that I have to find this love before the end of my senior year? Personally, I find the whole “finding love” thing overrated. Men totally can’t solve all my problems, especially this one.

“Claire, that is your name right?” I was jolted back into reality as it finally dawned on me that the most popular guy at school was rolling my name off his tongue. In case you didn’t know, that’s Eric Wayne. The Eric Wayne, as in quarterback of the varsity football team and star student. No big deal or anything. Of course, he wouldn’t go for a girl like me.

“Yeah, that’s me.”

“Mrs. Watson has asked us to work together on this project.”

I probably shouldn’t have done so, but I read his mind. Any other girl in my place would have.

Wow, she’s super pretty. I think I’m going to like this project. As soon as he said that—or his mind I should say—I lit up, smiling back at this perfect guy.

Okay, so by now you’ve probably realized that I’m telepathic. But I’m also clairvoyant—and I must admit that I like what I see in the years to come.