The Release | Teen Ink

The Release

May 19, 2014
By Serenah Covert BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana
Serenah Covert BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana
4 articles 3 photos 0 comments

He walked outside and felt the first breeze on his face after so long in the dark. He took Ella’s hand as they walked down across the freshly cut grass outside the facility. This was the first contact they had in a long time; therefore, this was a special moment. It was a perfect day, the sun was shining and all of their problems seem to float away in the wind. John and Ella had been waiting so long for this day; it was a privilege John had earned.
After the incident on the airplane, John was taken to a “resort”; at least that’s what the people at the “resort” called it. There he learned to control his urges out in society. John and Ella got in the car, ready to go home and start their lives over. Many people wondered why Ella would stay with a man like that. Everyone in Hollas knew to stay away from John Telker. He was known as the town nut for an unknown reason. Rumors and stories flew around that town like a kite on a windy day, but nobody really knew exactly why everyone feared him. As John and Ella drove down the street children ran inside, some yelled out “Mr. Telker is back!” Around the town of Hollas there wasn’t one person who wasn’t familiar with the tales of Mr. Telker. John and Ella pulled into the drive way with big smiles on their faces. John hopped out of the car and waved at the man next door. This was Mr. Thompson and he didn’t pay much attention to all of the stories because he was an old man in his 70’s. Mr. Thompson waved back and continued watering the lawn. John and Ella got settled into the house and went back to their normal routine.
For about a month everything was fine in the Telker house. Ella would make John dinner, his favorite meal. Although Ella was against John’s dietary habits, she went along with it. John stayed home all day in the basement, making all kinds of strange concoctions, while Ella went to work at the local grocery store. On the way to work Ella would take the long way so she could have some time to herself. Bobbing up and down on the windy roads and creating small beads of rain from the circles on her face. Everyday Ella did the same thing because she loved John, she truly loved him. When she came home one day John greeted her at the door with one of his new concoctions. “Honey look, isn’t it great? I came up with this all by myself!” John asked as he grabbed the groceries from Ella.
“Yes dear, but the resort people said you’re not allowed to do that anymore. They said that it encourages bad behavior; it’s not good for your health honey. “
“Ella! I can control I promise, I swear I can, I swear, I swear!”
“Well okay John; just keep you little “creations” in the basement.”
“Why don’t you ever support me? That’s what wives are supposed to. Ain’t you even the slightest bit proud of me; I made this all by myself. Who cares what the resort people say?”
“Well yah I guess…Honey?”
“Yah?”
“Would it be alright if I made I made something without meat in it today?”
“Dear, I know you against meat but could you please cooperate! Just support me! I don’t care what you or those dumb resort people say! You don’t know what you’re talking about! Maybe you should join my dinner tonight!”
“No…no, I’m sorry dear. You can eat whatever you would like. Do you want an arm or a leg?”
“An arm should be fine dear.”
“Okay, I’ll be upstairs.” Ell put John’s food in his cellar, grabbed the key’s off the hook and locked the gate to his cage. She then locked 2 more doors on her way upstairs. John and Ella didn’t want to take any chances so they make sure to keep John locked up when he feeds. Ella loved him, she really did. Although the “resort” told John not to eat meat he continued to do it anyway, and it was such a bad habit. Ella almost left him because of it, but instead she called the “resort” anonymously. She didn’t want to take the chance of John finding out that she put him in the institution, or he might do the unspeakable to her. She hadn’t seen him actually feed for years, but she definitely didn’t want to witness it again. The poor victim ended up in the hospital with almost half his face gone, but Ella covered for John and said a bear attacked him on a hike in the woods. John is a killer, a monster that rips and tears people apart. The “resort” John went to was an insane asylum to try and cure his condition. After getting out of the asylum John continued to eat in secret and the source of his food remains unknown.