The Outbreak | Teen Ink

The Outbreak

By Shadowrealmbeast BRONZE, Lime Springs, Iowa
Shadowrealmbeast BRONZE, Lime Springs, Iowa

"Dying is Bad for your Health"
-Blake Gillman (2014)

The entire thing, it was unbelievable. There were bloodthirsty monsters trying to tear out your throat at every turn. You had to always watch your back. You were afraid to look around corners. But then it became a way of life. This was how we lived. This is how the outbreak started.

“Here you go, general.” Said Dr. Normand, the leading military scientist of the U.S. army. He was working on a viral infection that when released, it would enter the host’s body through bodily fluids and head for the cerebellum. It would partially melt away that part of the brain and infect the rest from there. The host would then lose all human instinct and become mostly animal. It will need to feed, but will never become full. The virus is known as virus Z-142. The goals of this new virus are that it would be released on enemy countries and ravage the population. It was genius.

“Thank you, doctor.” replied the general. He walked over to a captured terrorist leader. He screamed,
“Please, don’t do this!” he yelled. But his pleas for mercy went unheard. The general took the syringe that the virus started out in and injected it into a vein in his arm. The terrorist screamed in pain, then went limp.
“Doctor! This doesn’t work! I asked for a virus and you give me a syringe that kills people! I’ll have your head for this!” the general yelled angrily
“Hold on.” The doctor replied. About 5 seconds later, the terrorist started shaking and contorting his body in many different directions. He looked up and stared at the general. He started growling at the general and snapping his jaws at him.

“Genius! We’ll ship him out immediately.” The general said. He had some men load up Patient Zero onto a plane and was ready to take off. After about 10 minutes the plane was ready to take off.

About 10 minutes into the flight, the doctor went back to check on Patient Zero. He pulled back the curtain and walked into the darkness. The doctor shivered. It seemed colder in this room than in the rest of the plane. He took out a small handheld flashlight and clicked it on. It flickered a couple of times and then went out. He sighed, put the flashlight in his pocket, and looked further. He found the crate and looked around it. He was startled to find that Patient Zero was nowhere to be found. He quick turned around and tried to run towards the exit. The scientist heard a grumble and a growl. He whipped around and saw Patient Zero running at him. He screamed as he ripped into his jugular vein in his neck and started to tear at him. Patient Zero stood up and walked towards the cockpit.

The doctor started to shake violently. After about a minute he stopped. The now ex- doctor stood up and walked towards the cockpit, along with Patient Zero. There was a lot of screaming from the pilots as the infected ripped into them.
The general was hiding underneath a chair on the plain when the screams started from the cockpit. He had just saw Patient Zero and the Doctor walk to the through the aisle of the plane. Then the screams, now the plane started to drop. He felt it coming on. The breathing masks came down. He screamed for his life, and then quickly covered his mouth. The infected people on the plane started shambling towards him. He yelled as they overran him and infected him.
Robert was strolling through the countryside when his wife, Sue, called him in. The news had reported a plane crash in the small town of Collenside. There was mass chaos. Police had called the heath department to help haul the bodies out of the plane. Then it happened. 5 people ran out of the crash and lunged at the police and heath department officials. They tore into them and then left the bodies in horrible condition. After a couple of seconds the bodies started shaking. Then they stopped, got up, and ran at the citizens who watched the whole ordeal. The infected citizens started to flee and infect others.  After a couple of hours, the entire city was taken over. Robert and Sue discussed the issue.

“We have to leave and find a safe place for the kids.” Robert started
“We have to. We have no other choice.” Sue replied. Robert got the kids and jumped in the car. Sue ran out from the house and jumped in the vehicle. She had grabbed some stuff to keep the kids occupied.
“What’s wrong, Mommy? Why are we leaving?” The youngest asked.

“We’re going to a surprise place! Doesn’t that sound fun?” Sue replied
“Yay! A surprise!” All of the three kids yelled. Sue passed out the coloring books and snacks and told them that mommy and daddy need some quiet for a little bit. The kids agreed and started coloring.

About five hours into the drive to the military base in Colorado and they entered a town. The sign was so vandalized that they couldn’t read the name. When they checked the map, there was no town there. They ignored it and continued on through the town. The buildings were in ruin.

“We’re scared, daddy.” The youngest said. All of a sudden, a group of the infected ran out from the buildings and flung themselves in front of the vehicle. Everyone screamed as the car rolled over the group of infected. Everything went black.

Robert woke up a few feet from the burning wreckage of their car. He got up and ran towards the vehicle. He looked inside and saw his children and wife dead.

“No… please, please wake up! Please!” he cried as he fell to the ground. Three of the infected stumbled out from the buildings. They took a look at Robert and growled. They started to sprint towards him.

“Stay away from me!” Robert yelled, crying. He picked up a burning board on the ground and swung at the infected. A lucky swing hit one square in the back of the cerebellum. Its head drooped as a black liquid rolled out of its mouth and eyes. It then dropped to the ground, entire back of the head smashed inward. Robert realized that he has to hit the back of the head to kill them. He took out the other two and decided to notify the government so they can get rid of this menace. He searched around some buildings and found a minivan with about a half a tank of gas. He hopped inside and found that there was no key. He got out and looked in the gas cap. The key was sitting at the bottom of the cap. Robert got back in the vehicle and started it up. He got to the outside of the town when it broke down. He got out and looked under the hood. The engine was rusty and torn apart. It had claw marks all over it. Robert looked around and saw another car. He looked inside and saw that the keys were in it. He started to get hopeful. Robert pulled the hood open and looked inside. The engine was in perfect condition! Robert tried to open the door. It was locked. So he looked around, saw a rock on the ground, picked it up, and smashed the window. A loud alarm went off and a ton of the infected ran out from the buildings. Robert opened the door and hopped inside. He started the car and drove away.

Robert was far outside of the town. He looked around and saw a map in the vehicle. It had scribbles all over it. The one thing he could make out was a circle around a town and the words, “government safe zone” written near it. He shouted with glee. He finally had the directions to the nearest government outpost. He turned at the next intersection and headed for it. He saw the outpost. There was a piece of plywood with the words safe zone written on it. He turned off the car and walked inside. The place was empty.

“Hello? Is anyone here?”  He called. He heard a growling down a hallway. Robert turned and walked down it. He saw a pile of bodies in a corner. The pile of bodies moved. Robert was frozen in fear. Then all of the bodies stood up. They looked at him and screeched. They ran at him and tore into his neck. He screamed as he fell limp to the floor and died.

Robert got up and looked around. He was confused. He thought he had died. He shrugged it off and walked away. All he felt was hunger. It scared him. His legs were stiff and he walked awkwardly. He walked through the building and looked around. It was filled with infected. He quickly knew that they weren’t a threat. He didn’t know how he knew that; he just knew that it was true. He tried yelling to get their attention, but all that came out was a deep growl. It startled him. He tried speaking again. He could only growl. All of a sudden he could smell something. It smelled good. He slowly walked towards it. His legs felt better. He looked around and saw he doorway. That’s where the smell came from. He walked through the broken doorway.

Sarah was digging through a pile of trash looking for something to eat. She heard a footstep. She started panicking. What if it was an infected? She only came across an infected once, which was when the plane crashed.

She was walking to her apartment building after a long walk. She heard a loud buzzing and saw smoke. All of a sudden, a plane sailed low to the ground. There was a loud boom and smoke filled the air. The smoke was coming from about a block away. She ran towards it. Police were surrounding the area. All of a sudden, a group of people ran out from the wreckage. They lunged on top of the police. There was screaming everywhere as they tore into the policemen and women.  Sarah turned and ran as the infected police squad and civilians ran towards the city. Sarah got to her house and looked for the keys to her car. She couldn’t find them anywhere. She looked under the couch, on the key rack, and in the trash, just in case they fell into it. They were nowhere. Then she went to her garage. She looked under the tires and found the keys. She hopped into the car and started it. She shot through the garage door and just left town. And now she’s here.

Sarah hid behind the pile of trash as an infected walked out. She was in shock. How would she find her way around it? Did it already spot her? The infected humanoid looked in her direction, raised its nose into the air, growled, and then lunged at her. She screamed.

Robert was outside when he could sense the food behind that trash pile. He smelled the air and tried saying something, but it was just a low-pitched grumble. He ran towards it. He heard a scream but he didn’t care. He was so hungry. He lunged over the pile of garbage and saw a ratchet fly out from a young woman’s hand. It hit him square in the side of his head. All of a sudden, everything blacked out.

Sarah was covered in a black substance. She had just eliminated her first infected. She was shaking with fear at what had happened. She walked into the safe zone and looked around. She saw a horde of infected off to one side of the building. She gasped and jumped behind a stack of boxes. She felt a pain coming from the cut on the side of her arm. All of a sudden, her body started losing control. She dropped to the ground as the horde of infected smothered her. She tried to scream as she was infected.

Beginning from

The Outbreak

Full book in development.

Just what if?

ConnorWritesStuff BRONZE, Loveland, Colorado

Just because you started out bad doesn't mean you have to end horrible.

no problem.

"Dying is Bad for your Health"
-Blake Gillman (2014)

Yay!!! I found it!! Thanks for the help.

you should click on the see my stuff tab to bring you to your main profile, then you should scroll down just a little and you will see a thin box, click on that then type your quote, if you still need help I could skype you.

"Dying is Bad for your Health"
-Blake Gillman (2014)

How do you get the favorite quote on the bottom of your profile? I can't find it.

Thanks! I love your stories and how original they are, they flow really well!

"Dying is Bad for your Health"
-Blake Gillman (2014)

Thanks! I will read your stories, too! They are really interesting and I like the ideas.

I will definetly continue reading your stories!

thanks, I am writng a book too and this inspired me to continue (Simulation Demo is the beggining of that book)

"Dying is Bad for your Health"
-Blake Gillman (2014)

how I write is that an idea flows into my mind and I just write. If im stuck, then I just think for a day, then keep going, even if I don't have an idea.   I will continue!!!! Do not worry. I am still working on it.

CONTINUE WRITING!!!!

Great story! It flowed well and the grammar was very good, you need to give me some writig tips! (btw my name is Connor too!)

"Dying is Bad for your Health"
-Blake Gillman (2014)

Thanks for the compliment!!

Maambv said...
Maambv, Cresco, Iowa
Connor, you have rich vocabulary and expression! Keep going with this and be my first student to publish a full book!