Sleep Walker | Teen Ink

Sleep Walker

October 21, 2014
By Himlen--Shellie GOLD, HotSprings, Montana
Himlen--Shellie GOLD, HotSprings, Montana
11 articles 7 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A tragedy's a fairy tale with an alternate ending."


My heart ached as I sat on the floor, holding my baby's head in my lap, running my fingers through his soft hair as his broken body lay there motionless. I'd seen him like this too many times, what with the wreck and all these horrible dreams. Part of me just wanted him to die already, that way I knew he wouldn't be hurting anymore. Another part of me just wanted to make everything okay, but I had no idea how to. The note had said that he would die each night. He would never be safe as long as the night proceeded to defeat the day. It had also said that, once he ran out of other's nightmares, he would experience his own, putting much more strain on his body until he finally died. It also explained that the first person to come into contact with his corpse would inherit this virus and that the cycle would just live on forever.

How were we supposed to live like this?

I looked down at Athain's cold body, giving a tired, halfhearted smirk. How was I supposed to live like this? I was the only one really living...


The author's comments:

It's only a section of my book Sleep Walker, as well as my other short story on here "You Never Know".