Initiation Day | Teen Ink

Initiation Day

By DarDar BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
DarDar BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois

"Fellow citizens," bellowed a male voice. "Today is the day we celebrate our ninety-fifth anniversary of Initiation day. One thousand years ago we have been a strong, proud nation that fell under a catastrophic event that destroyed our country. We shall not pronounce its name for there it is against the law. The lasting survivors of that generation built of what's known as our constitution today. Without them we wouldn't live to see the next generation strive. Today is not the day to celebrate history, but to see our graduates get initiated."
Claps and cheers erupted from the audience as the new graduates walked onto the stage. Not everyone was that exhilarated. Vice-chancellor Keij stood next to a clear-glass podium, wearing a bright blue suit, smiling and clapping along with the crowd. The graduates wore colorful gowns and suits that stood out from the white and gray clothing the civilians wore.
"Those who will stay will serve and live with honor. Those who won't will be remembered and mourned for. In the previous week we have met our new initiates in the south and mourned for those that we have lost. The second week of our anniversary has begun. As our oldest ancestor stated, 'Freedom has many difficulties and democracy is not perfect, but we have never had to put a wall up to keep our people in.'
"I'm afraid this individual will not be named, but his statement will last for years to come. There is a reason for Initiation Day. This is for the good of mankind. The Constitution has no reason to murder innocents. We are protecting your future and humanity. There is a reason to continue this tradition every single year. We are saving the human race as we speak.
"I'm afraid that Chancellor White couldn't join us this very evening . . ."
Up in the tall buildings of the Republic, guards stood on their watches, peering over the ledge to check on the ceremony every so often. The guards wore a tight, one-piece, black suit and a helmet along with a gun in both hands. Two guards stood on a balcony, weapons in hand when two darts flew out of nowhere straight into the arm's flesh, both guards dropped their guns and fell to the floor. Slowly one by one, each guard was aimed at and all slammed into the floor head first. There were no men on duty to watch over the ceremony, not a single one that would protect the people.
In a split second all of the lights went out and the power plant shut down. The city lost its electricity as it fell into darkness. The audience fell silent. Before they knew it, gunshots were fired at the remaining guards on the first floor and the people screamed and whimpered quietly. People grew silent as a figure climbed onto the stage, the vice-chancellor lied near the podium bleeding from the impact the bullet had in his head. The figure reached down and picked up the microphone, placing them on it's lips.
"'Citizens of the Republic, tonight we celebrate Initiation Day,'" the stranger imitated the vice-chancellor with a sinister voice.
The stranger wore a complete set of dark clothes. Besides the pants and shirt, the stranger wore a leather cloak that reached the ground and a hood over his head. The most peculiar scene of him was that there was no face. There was no expression nor amusement in those eyes for there were no eyes. The eyes stared blankly over the crowd of innocents. The nose was short and pointy while the lips were still and unmoving. The cheeks were slender and curved. It was a mask. The stranger wore a mask to hide his true identity.
"This is the day we celebrate the deaths of our young adults. Yes, that's what it sounds like. Initiation Day is when children are murdered by the government. 'For the best of mankind' they say," he laughed.
"Do you know the true reason behind this?" the stranger touched his non-moving lips with the microphone. "There is not enough resources to support such a great population. So, the killing spree has begun. Question is, 'Where do they get the resources to support you through all these years?' They store and produce them. Surprisingly they store a greater amount for themselves and leave the rest to starve. That's right, your government lied to you. What about the Constitution? That's made up.
"So why murder teens every year? Why are there so many senseless laws with no explanation behind them? There is none. 'Freedom comes with many difficulties,'" he crackled a laugh. "Yes, that's right, you don't fight for your freedom. Why do you follow the laws of this ridiculous government when you can live a better life from this one?
"'We have never had to put a wall to keep our people in.' Well, look around you, we are surrounded by a hundred foot wall. Why? We can't even see the world behind it, what is the government hiding? Citizens of the Republic, they had to put a wall up to keep us in. What a sense of irony. Don't you see it?! We are slaves of a senseless government and its experiment that we live in."
The stranger took a long glance at the crowd, his sense of humor rising. "I want to see that world behind that wall and I want to feel that freedom that rightfully belongs to me!" Not a single soul dared to speak at that very moment. No one even dared to move.
"You can either stand with me or against me for there if you do you will pay the price. Those who will stand beside me will receive their freedom. I am not afraid to say 'America', for I am proud to be its citizen."
Two men dressed in black, who wore white masks and hoods over their heads, climbed ok to the stage pulling a chair behind them. In that chair sat a man with cuts and bruises as he tried to free himself. He wore a regular business suit and was half bald with a few strands of hair here and there. The strapped man was senator Davis. The two assistants stood on either side of the senator p, hands behind their backs, awaiting their next command.
"I will give you hope," the stranger turned around and pointed the gun at the senator. "Or I give you fear." At that very moment, he pulled the trigger and fired at the helpless man while the crowd screamed in terror.

Out in the city there was a girl jumping on the sidewalk. She threw a pebble onto one if the squares and jumped over it to reach the other side. The girl wore a light pink dress and white shoes with her socks pulled up. She was an unusual girl. She scared her friends and neighbors back into their houses, fearing her for what she is. The girl didn't mind and went on with her business like it was a normal day. Doors and windows were locked tight and curtains were closed. The girl was a strange little girl. Why did she do this? Why? She is so young and yet she understood nothing. The girl's face scared everyone off. It had no human facial features and no expression. It was a white mask with pink cheeks. The mask was a sign of rebellion.
The girl played her game and sang a song:

Jump frog jump - hop, hop, hop,
Jump frog leap - leap, leap, leap,
Jump frog jump - hop, hop, hop,
So that we'd all be free.

Behind the girl stood a tall man in his tight uniform in one hand was a pistol and in the other was a blade. The helmet lied on the ground.
The girl kept singing.

Jump frog jump - over the fence,
Jump frog hop - over the hill.
Jump frog leap - over the sea,

The man held out the gun and pointed it at the girl.

To the promised land.

He pulled the trigger and the sound of a bullet rung the neighborhood. There was no song sung that night.

America in the future is quite different from today. The human race is almost wiped out of existence and a new government was formed to save humanity. The government created laws that would keep the people in balance, when one day a rebel fights for America.

DarDar BRONZE said...
DarDar BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
I'd like to share my story with you.