Losing Plato | Teen Ink

Losing Plato

By Megan Gyorki BRONZE, Middlefield, Ohio
Megan Gyorki BRONZE, Middlefield, Ohio

The soft glow of bioluminescence reflected blue off of Plato’s fur. He cautiously slunk through the dense, glowing forest. A few minutes ago Plato was frolicking among moss and various species of mushrooms that peeked out of decaying logs. Where was he now? Ears flat and pointed backwards, Plato kept his head low as he explored the new area.
“Who’s there?” A booming voice asked. Plato yelped in surprise. In a different voice than usual, he meekly replied, “Who’s asking?” Plato tried to sound as human as possible.
Plato’s fur bristled proudly, his fake human voice was pretty convincing. As he lifted his head, Plato exposed his eyes to the peculiar darkness. He hoped to spot the large creature. 
“Where am I?”, Plato asked. “I’m lost.” He licked his lips nervously.
“...What?” The large creature replied, as if Plato weren't speaking English at all.
Perhaps this forest was hidden, a place where not just any old animal could enter. Plato could see a large shadow off in the distance. It seemed to sway slightly, as if it were catching its breath. He assumed this large creature was the beast who had been talking to him. Suddenly it moved forward, causing thundering foot steps to reverberate within the quiet forest.
“Are you a human.” The beast asked. It’s tone was more similar to that of a statement rather than a question. “Don’t lie to me.”
“I’m not.” Plato stuck his tail in between his legs, “A-a human, that is.” The small creature turned his head away in shame. How embarrassing! The beast had seen through his facade. Plato hoped the beast wouldn't rip him to shreds. Cautiously, Plato lowered his head again and peered up at the beast as it advanced towards him. The pale moonlight gave shape to the figure. It looked like a cross between a lion and a very large, angry dog. The beast had opalescent scales that shimmered across the side of its body. Plato couldn't help shivering at the amazing sight.
“W-What are you?” Plato sputtered. The whites of his eyes shone up at the beast. Its meaty head bore a mane of great monstrosity. The luscious locks swayed slightly as it leaned towards Plato.
“I was going to ask you the same question.” The beast replied. It had no intention of answering Plato. The smaller creature squeaked at the beast,
“I’m not sure what species I am, but I am friendly. I mean no harm. Please don’t eat me…” This plead for mercy caused the beast to chuckle.
“I mean you no harm. You look like you belong here.” The beast reassured Plato. “I was confused as to why you would be here, however.” The beast paused momentarily, “You will refer to me as Sylva. That’s what the humans called me when they still visited this place.” Sylva looked down at Plato curiously.
“How exactly did you leave this place without any remembrance of it? You’re clearly one of species who reside near here. How did you find it again?” Sylva asked. She didn't expect Plato to answer. He perked his ears up happily before plopping into the glowing moss. They sat in silence momentarily, their fur gently swaying in the breeze. Plato looked up at Sylva curiously. She had large, turquoise eyes that reflected the light of the moon. Her scales seemed to sparkle from the bioluminescence pulsating around them. What a gorgeous creature, he thought. Before Plato could ask Sylva where she saw others like him, an immense roar shattered the silence of the night. A blur threw Sylva across the forest, crushing multiple trees as she flew. She cried out in agony.
“YOU HAVE TO RUN!” Her scream pierced Plato’s ears. He clambered as he regained his footing before sprinting off towards the right of the forest. Plato kept peering back to make sure Sylva was okay. The enormous mane surrounding her face shook feverishly as her body thrashed back and forth against an indistinguishable flash of a figure. How could Plato leave this new friend behind? She seemed to know a lot more than he did. What if this new beast kills her? The small creature couldn't stop running. He had to find somewhere to rest, his life depended on it.

I decided to write a rather long story starter. I basically wrote about what I wanted to draw in that moment. I hope I can finish the story after I regain inspiration!