Death's Son Introduction | Teen Ink

Death's Son Introduction

By Gwendolyn_ BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Gwendolyn_ BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

"Look what you have done. Listen! your brothers blood cries out to me from the ground!" -God

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education." -Mark Twain

"All the drugs in the world will never save us from ourselves" -Marilyn Manson

Let me set this straight for you. I am a normal boy. I don't want you to think that you have a reason to question that. And when I go visiting into hospital rooms, the last thing I want for is those doctors interrogating me about my normality as a boy. Quite frankly, there is absolutely no reason to NOT think I'm a normal boy.
My father allocates me to go into an exquisite few of moribund people. To spend time with them, have heart-to-heart conversations with them, scrutinize their souls, help them bare whatever long term unknown secrets they have, to decipher the good and the bad, and to ultimately adjudicate their fate of whether they live or parish.
My name is Malick Fortunato, Malick meaning kind, Fortunato meaning fortunate in Italian. Also the name Fortunato comes from a character who was murdered in The Case of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe. He was trapped inside a small crypt surrounded by corpses. After screaming, moaning and complaining about the condition of his heart falling ill because of the dampness in the bodies from the catacombs. He died sometime eventually. I'm not exactly sure when because after hearing too much of the story, I just can't listen to it anymore. I am not fond of death, nor will I ever be.  Because like I said a thousand times before and I will say a thousand times once more, I am a normal boy and there is no reason for you to question that. I am eighteen years old and I spend most of my time with my fathers assignments. I suppose my best feature is my compassion for others. I will always try my best to lend an ear and be the arms to fall into when you just can't hold yourself up anymore. My worst trait is getting so involved in having close relationships that I just can't function without them and I get over attached too easily. Which is a pain in the ass when the people you work for are, you know, dying all the time. When I'm not working for my father I like to play the piano, because well, I'm normal.
I suppose there is one thing that makes me less of a normal person, but I don't want you to take this information in the wrong way and think that over all, I am not a normal person. Because I am. A normal person.
I don't exactly have normal parents. I do not have a mother and my father is a very true to life constructed idea, but only just an idea until you truly experience him. My father is death. He does not have a face, he does not have arms to jump into at the end of bad days. He does not have hands to play baseball with me like I would see kids on the street playing with their fathers. No, having death as a dad is truly, anything but normal.
  Everything in my life is twisted, distorted. No real parents, no friends to go to school with. And the dying people who I serve I know truly care about me. I try my very best to make my last moments of each of the people I work for, the best moments. The moments where they feel like they matter. I love the job I was created into. I just want to feel connected to people, and here my dreams change into reality. But whenever somebody dies, I feel like I die a little too. And I hate it. The feeling pushes it's way inside of me, it's all I feel. It takes over me,nit eats away the inside of my body. And posses my emotions. Words can not tell you how sick of this feeling I am.
And I will sullenly and regretfully admit that I am...not a normal person. The only characteristic that makes me normal is my drastic, momentous longing to be a normal person. I am sixty present death so when I wonder around others they inevitably seem dispirited until struggle to elevate their feelings. I have to dexterously work to not smell bad. I get strange looks walking into a room. Not that I look extremely foreign but I look more of like those goth kids from your old high school hallway. Not that I try to, but I was born with it.
The stages of life are a thousand times harder when you're sixty percent death. All children have curiosity but I perceived that I freaked people out by wondering about shudder some topics with questions that just come natural to me.
"Excuse me, have you ever wondered what dead people smell like? Do you ever use the blood of children as nail polish? How about lipstick? Do you ever try to burn your significant other and use their ashes as toothpaste so you truly know what they taste like? "
I even remember asking a teenaged girl of she's ever tried to rip out her boyfriends armpit hair and use them as false eyelashes. I would just go on and on without even worrying about anyone thinking I'm crazy until I heard my father's booming voice shouting
"MALICK SHUT UP NOW!!"
And don't even get me started about the difficulties of male puberty when you're body is more than half death. Sometimes I just wanted to have a normal conversation and all of a sudden your voice cracks into the sound of death and it comes wailing out of your body and everyone gets the idea that you might actually not be a normal boy. Which is what I so desperately wanted. And then there's also the fear of having your armpit hair used as false eyelashes.
I deal with all this pain all the time and all I ever want is to be a normal human being with a normal human life, with normal human children. I just want to be normal. And all I can ever pray for is that one day that the sixty percent of death that fills my body will slowly disappear and it won't be a part of me anymore.

I wrote this as an assignment for a creative writing camp. I was originally going to turn it into a story instead of an introduction but I didn't have the time. It's my goal to try to turn it into a bit of a fantasy/humor series of short stories. So stay tuned for that and thank you for reading!! 

SkippyPeanutbutter SILVER, Utrecht, Other

"Happiness can be found, even at the darkest of times. If one only remembers to turn on the light." -Albus Dumbledore
"We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" -the Eleventh Doctor

I really like the concept of this story and your writing style is very pleasant to read. Also the repetition works effectively in this story, so good job with that. However, I would reread this if I were you because there are some small, careless mistakes. Other than that; GREAT JOB!

Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut

"Respect existence or expect resistance"

This character is very intriguing, and I love the backstory you gave him! Your descriptions were fun and enticing, and this piece drew me in immediately. I loved the strange questions your character asks and the comedy element it added. The idea of death having a son is not only exciting, but the role you gave him touches on human elements that make me sympathize and relate to the character. Instantly, I want him to be a successful hero - a good trait for any protagonist:) Your writing style is enjoyable to read! His want to be normal is woven throughout the piece very clearly, but perhaps mentioning it once or twice rather than in nearly every paragraph would convey better to the reader. When handling something as vital as what a character wants, sometimes less can be better. Maybe pepper it in once or twice, but not too often or else it becomes redundant. Even better is if you can express what the character wants implicitly through his actions, thoughts, and decisions throughout the story. Other than that, my only suggestion is to take this character and put him into a story! You have a golden character here, but this felt more like an introduction to him - which you aptly recognized in the title - rather than his story. If you incorporated him into a conflict and plot, it would be an amazing, touching, and brilliantly creative experience to read. Keep writing!

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

I love your creativity! You definitely crafted an interesting and out-of-the-box character, and this is a great introduction to him. Be careful as you share these brilliant ideas of yours to proofread because you never want grammar to interfere with the readers' interest in your work. Also, a few times, your writing got a little wordy, and you were telling us stuff more than showing us through details. Try to get away from that by incorporating descriptions and figurative language instead of blunt statements like "Everything in my life is twisted, distorted." That said, when a word sounds like you got it straight from the thesaurus instead of from your mind, it messes with the flow, too. Keep tinkering because I actually really enjoyed reading your voice and I hope you write more so you can really develop that. Several times, you struck a great balance of humor and seriousness that made me laugh but also pulled me in to keep reading, and that takes talent. I wish you the best of luck as you keep writing and finding your own voice!

Vidur said...
Thank you for sharing this information.I have always admired Sir.Nicolas Tesla and his works but i can never find what exactly did he go through his life. This was very close to what i was searching for and I thank ypu a lot for this!

Jtatsu PLATINUM, East Brunswick, New Jersey
I loved this idea! You got into the concept of death without it being too grim, and it was actually rather entertaining. Like several others said, you could work a bit to try the intro to hook the reader better. It can be slightly confusing at parts as well. I hope you expand on this idea because I'd love to see more of it. :)

ThisEmilyDa1 SILVER, BF, New Mexico

only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile
-Albert Instien
the only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

This was good and I'd like to see more. It was a pretty intriguing idea. I personally would have liked it to be a bit more of a story, but I know it's the intro and it's just fine this way as well. I will say that it was confusing, especially at the beginning. And I do this a lot but it's easier to see in other writing, I think, so try not to write run on sentences. Overall it was good. And you are very talented. I have two or three stories of my own that I would really appreciate if you checked out and gave me your advice. Keep wirting.

stenova BRONZE said...
stenova BRONZE, Trumbull, Connecticut

"'Tis not in mortals to command success, but we'll do more, Sempronius- we'll deserve it."

Wow! I found it interesting that you used that Cask of Amontillado reference because I feel like if Poe was still alive today he would love something like this! Personifying death is never easy but you did it very well, nice job and I hope to read more of your work!

lilycalla16 SILVER, Lisle, Illinois

"Freely we serve, Because we freely love, as in our will to love or not; in this we stand or fall."
-John Milton

My favorite line: "I even remember asking a teenaged girl of she's ever tried to rip out her boyfriends armpit hair and use them as false eyelashes". Now THAT is golden! I really like this idea and I thought it was funny at times, but I have to agree with @Dreamer29 : the beginning is a little confusing (it sometimes sounds like you're trying too hard to sound intelligent there, later on though your vocabulary really adds to the piece) and the tone, for me, seems to jump around a little. It settles halfway through though, so if you could establish that in the very beginning it would be great. Good job overall though, I liked it!

Opening paragraph is gripping.

Dreamer29 SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia

ew, people

It took me until almost the middle to really get into it but i do like the idea. I loved how you kept referring to it as 'i am normal'. i really liked that but i was also not really a fan, maybe it was just that it was confusing with the sixty percent death, i didnt understand that very well. i like your use of intelligent words and the whole concept of death because that is usually what i write about, i encourage you to keep writing.