Farfet | Teen Ink

Farfet

September 6, 2015
By LadyAthenaFae SILVER, Holdenville, Oklahoma
LadyAthenaFae SILVER, Holdenville, Oklahoma
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

One cool, spring night in the tiny realm of Farfet the purple-winged faerie Amethyst O’Connely was swimming between the five Isles of her tiny magical world. As she quietly flew over the calm waters of the seas between the five Islands of the five nations of her realm, her long, hip-length, fluorescent purple hair trailing behind her, she spotted the glint of silver from deep within the waves. She glanced around, not spotting the curfew patrol flyers, and dove into the water, her fingers outstretched. As she entered the water with her eyes closed she blindly groped. As she felt the unnaturally warm metal against her hand she gasped, chocking on the salty water, and shot out of the water. Sputtering she flew towards the dark bank of her home Island, Wheshelm.

She landed, still flapping her intricately designed wings to dry them, and turned the object over in her hand. She looked on at a large, golf ball-sized, wing-shaped locket. The locket was warm metal, but the more she stared the more she saw fire-red swirls spontaneously crossing the surface. Intrigued, she slipped the locket into her pocket and leapt off the embankment. As she flew towards the orphanage, her home of 15 years, she saw the shadows slowly creeping back. She started flying as fast as she could, speeding home before the sun rose and she had to wake the littles for chores.

Later that evening she went to the blacksmith to get a thick, titanium chain to hang the locket on. She went into her small room, instantly reaching the only other piece of furniture in her room besides her bookcase, her small, twin, frame. As she sat down she slipped the locket onto the chain, and the chain over her small head. Instantly she felt a strange sensation of pulling and she looked in the mirror hanging on the back of the door, only to see her wings slowly fading. “What?!” she screamed. Terrified she flung the necklace off only to find her wings back in place. “How peculiar” she exclaimed as she sprinted off to tell her only friend, Fae Abyss.

Fae was a red-tailed merwoman who lived on the back embankment of her island. She rushed off, stealing the freedom to go as she pleased even though she was supposed to stay and help with chores. As she reached her friend, Fae sprung up excitement from staring at a strange cup she had found just the same morning. As Fae explained that her cup took her to the human world, excitement and the need for adventure filled up Amethysts thoughts, drowsing the warning her friend heartedly gave her: Fae’s brother, William, stayed to long and got caught by the humans, and she had to leave him behind.