Death's Edge: The Apocalypse, For Real | Teen Ink

Death's Edge: The Apocalypse, For Real

December 18, 2015
By TheHoodieGod BRONZE, Pepper Pike, Ohio
TheHoodieGod BRONZE, Pepper Pike, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Viewer,
If you are one of the many few selected to read this, you have been chosen to save the future. The year is 2067. Humanity has fallen to their new overlords. The long awaited apocalypse finally came, but very unexpectedly. Believe it or not, it started with a small company, a video game company called G2, that was founded in 2026. They created the very first virtual reality MMORPG: Death’s Edge, and the corresponding console: G-Gear. Everyone loved it, and the sales flew off the charts.
However, by the year 2033, the whole scene seemed to die down, and almost no one played it. And by 2045, it was completely forgotten. But, on February 24, 2058, the company that created G-Gear, G2, had released a “special announcement” regarding the game.
“Attention: all players that have known and loved our top selling MMORPG, Death’s Edge, we have some long awaited update info to share! Play the game within the next 24 hours to receive a welcome back gift!”
Sadly, that “gift” came with no receipt.
The news was heard world wide. People bought these old games and systems again, just for the gift. Once again, this game’s sales went through the roof. And then that’s when it happened… As soon as everyone logged in, G2 had released a virus that took over everyone’s minds and bodies, turning them into what seemed like lifeless marionettes, taking orders from their masters. Although about a third of the planet didn’t log in, they were also doomed. The hollow, meat shells had no feelings or emotions. They weren’t afraid to kill. But for most of the “survivors,” they couldn’t bring themselves to stab their spouses, children, or parents, and as a result, were wiped out.
But as for the very few that had been living, they chose to set up bases in towns, which was yet another mistake. This allowed the thought of “safe” travel between towns and cities, which led to even more deaths. However, one party of soldiers had actually made it to the G2building, and almost made it to the top floor, where the man behind this real life video game, and all of this chaos, just stared at his new world through a window, as twisted and evil as him, and laughs…

But that man is me. For I have made a grand challenge that tests the wits of everyone. But there will be only one winner. Yet again, that person, that champion, is me. If you can make it onto the top floor, you will face the final boss. However, this is no game, for if you die, you die.
But there is another way. Another way that could actually save the planet. You can encourage physical activity around your community. And hopefully, possibly, you will make a difference. And maybe then… I won’t be forced to delete humanity. And they’ll stay with me, and understand that I was only trying to help...

So, viewer, the choice is up to you. Do you choose to let the future be destroyed by your own kind, weaponising the very thing you hold near and dear? Or, will you save humanity by asking people to go outside, and be active? It’s all up to you.