The Crystal Globe | Teen Ink

The Crystal Globe

January 4, 2016
By kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York
kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember, if people talk behind your back, it only means you are two steps ahead."


Say your last wish,” the boy stated, pointing his wand at me threateningly. The carved weapon was just nearly touching my nose, and I could feel its energy growing stronger by the second. The buzzing of the magic hummed as the boy prepared to fire at me, and I stood there helplessly, watching the weapon and the person that could end me.
            “Please don’t do this,” I said, my voice barely above a whisper. He laughed sinisterly, the wand staying in its place.
            “Well, it’s a little too late for that, eh? For trespassing in my tower? Now tell me, what are you doing here?” the boy sneered. I shut my mouth, refusing to say a word to him about my desperate mission to find that one object; the one that would help me get through the hardships that were coming my way over the next few days.
            “Tell me!” the boy yelled, flicking his wand at my face.
            “I was in search of the enchanted crystal globe,” my mouth spoke, bewitched by the magic.
            “The crystal globe, huh?” the boy smirked. He held out his hand, and the object I was in desperate search for appeared in a cloud of dust. My eyes widened at the prized treasure, and I struggled to get out of the tight ropes which he had used to tie my wrists to a pole. I hopelessly inspected the spacious room looking for a way to defend myself, as well as find an escape. The walls were barely showing, as they were covered with jars and books of all sizes on shelves. Large windows with blue, flowing curtains lined the ceiling, making it almost impossible for me to escape.
            “Oh, you’re not leaving here, not under my watch,” he spoke suddenly. The torches lit with fire flickered along the walls, allowing me to get a better look at his face. He had cinnamon colored skin, messy brown hair, and blue eyes with a hint of green. Blue eyes with a hint of green. Those eyes looked so familiar. I only knew one person with those eyes; but, Colin, he left four years ago. It couldn’t be him; it was so long ago…
“Someone will come. I know it. You can’t hurt me,” I whispered, my voice quavering. The globe gleamed under the firelight of the room, the magical dust now being visible to me. If I could just reach out and grab it…
            “You stupid girl,” he chuckled with a glare in his silver sharp eyes. “You think you can beat me? You’re going to have to pay the price.”
            Just as he was about to fire his wand at me, I heard a howling noise in the hall. The boy must have heard it too, and turned around in confusion. I took advantage of this and kicked him in his calf, and to my luck, he lost his balance and fell. His wand slipped out of his hand and flew into the air, successfully landing in my palm. I gave it a wave, and within moments I was freed from the ropes. I gave a silent thanks to my professor for teaching me that trick and pointed the wand at the boy’s face. He scrambled to get up to his feet, but tripped and fell back onto the floor.
            “Don’t you dare, Emilie,” he warned, my name sounding like venom dripping from his mouth.
“That’s enough out of you,” I said, my bravery surprising me. “I banish you from the wizard tower!” And with a flick of my wrist, he vanished, leaving nothing but the crystal globe in his place. I bent down to pick up the globe just as a familiar blonde girl ran into the room.
“Emilie! Thank goodness you’re okay!” my best friend wrapped me into a hug the instant she reached me.
“I’m okay, Alicia. By the way, was that you, making that howling noise?” I questioned.
Alicia grinned and held up her own wood carved wand. “Indeed it was, my friend.”
“Thanks for that, you really saved me there; and look what I got,” I motioned to the crystal globe in my hand, which was sparkling like a sea of diamonds exposed to the sunlight.
“Great! Our quest is almost complete,” she smiled. I nodded, drawing in a breath.
“C’mon, let’s get out of here,” I said, waving the crystal globe over with the wand. It disappeared in seconds, receding to safety.
“Wait, what’s that?” Alicia stopped me and pointed to a tiny engraving on the side of the wand. “It’s a name.”
I held the wand up closer to my eyes and all the color in my face seemed to drain away as I read the too-familiar name aloud.
“It’s-it’s Colin."