Sahara Sands | Teen Ink

Sahara Sands

By PaullyWDoodle BRONZE, Simpson, Pennsylvania
PaullyWDoodle BRONZE, Simpson, Pennsylvania

It was three days after his planned wedding that Joe struck was put into a decision between dyeing or killing his pet rock.
It all started three days before his wedding.  Joe and his wife were planning every detail of their wedding, from the place it will take place to the flavor of punch being served. While shopping for decorations the couple stopped at a local pawn shop where a pet rock caught there eye, it was a darker rock with glued on Googley eyes, a top hat, and sand glued on for the smiling mouth. The couple purchased the rock and kept as are reminder of the goofy times they have had.  When they returned home the man placed it on his night stand before falling asleep.
Just before the man fell asleep he glanced at the rock and began to think about the good times he had with his wife. He dreamt about it that night and woke up the next morning with his wife’s face directly in front of him. After the couple arose they continued planning for the wedding but the man had strange visions of the rock throughout the day but did not tell his wife because she would have thought he was crazy.
At the end of the day Joe and his wife were exhausted and decided to retire to their bed. As  the man lay next to his wife he could not help but feel the rock, almost as if it were staring at him. The man turned to the rock, faced it the other way and went to sleep. While Joe was asleep, he dreamt about the rock and the sand that help make it up. When Joe woke up the rock was directly in front of him and it was no longer smiling it had a straight face.
That morning when Joe woke up he knew the stress of the wedding was getting to him and for some reason the rock just brought bad dreams and thought so he took and placed it in the trash.  He felt very relieved after that but now the prevailing stress went to the fact that his wedding was the next day and he wanted it perfect. With every planning measure taken and the strange rock gone Joe knew he would have a big day ahead so he and his wife went to sleep early. Just as Joe fell asleep a single image of the rock popped in his head and then he went to sleep.
When Joe awoke he was blinded by a bright white light. Everything felt hot, as he began to see, he began to panic. With his sight returning he saw nothing but sand, the sun, and the clear blue sky. Joe thought he was out of his mind he fell asleep in is bed and now he’s in the middle of a hot, dry and lifeless desert. Joe began to run in hopes of finding a way out of his nightmare but there was nothing but sand.
Hours had gone by Joe was exhausted and had no moisture in his body to sweat out, he was deeply dehydrated. He pleaded to a god he had doubted in but he was desperate. He closed his eyes to give up and as he did a giant sand storm swept by him covering everything but his head in sand.
When Joe opened his eyes there it was, the rock, and it was frowning. Just starring at the rock was making him lose his mind. Joe was in such an altered state he thought he was going to die or kill his pet rock to survive. Using all is might Joe pulled himself from the sand and started attacking the rock, nothing he was doing was breaking or chipping the rock away.
In a final attempt to destroy the rock joe began to smash the rock against his head, after so many hits he was on the brink of death, bloody, woozy, and barley breathing Joe put every last reserve of strength he had into his right arm an as the rock came hurling toward his face the rock the rocks frown turned into a smile and joe forced it against his head.
When Joe did that, he woke himself up. He was in a panic, he didn’t think the life he was in was real, and he knew somehow he was in the desert and killed himself with the evil rock, but didn’t know how he was in his bed now.
Sadly, a few hours before his wedding Joe committed suicide because he did not know he was in the real world. Doctors say the stress of the wedding caused Joe Strucka to kill himself.