Flight and Descent | Teen Ink

Flight and Descent

January 25, 2016
By Anonymous

I am lying down, on the beach relaxing and listening to the waves, relaxing trying to fall asleep.
"Let go." someone whispers so soflty I barely heard. I look around but quickly get distracted as my back starts to tingle,

I shift from my back to my side. the tingling turns into throbbing and suddenly my back is exploding with sharp pains

My shoulders are tensing, it feels as if something is crawling under my skin and pulsing through my veins, which are on fire.


I cry out in pain and sit up sand falling off my limbs as I stand up on the beach.
I take my hand and touch the seemingly writhing skin.
My fingertips touch something unfamiliar, not skin, but scales rippling on my back.
"What the he-" I am in so much pain I can't finish my sentence.
My vision is blacking out, I collapse and brace myself for the fall.
But instead of slamming into the wet sand I rise.

My bare feet have left the ground and I am floating.
My thoughts are racing in confusion, I don't understand.
I am gliding forward, towards the gentle waves.
My Auburn hair flowing behind me in the breeze.
I pass over the water and see my reflection I am suspended in the air.
I close my eyes.
"Let go." I hear someone say.

My eyes open and I look around, I am still suspended in the air, and i try to locate the source of the voice, but see no one. 
I look down observing my reflection.
A gasp escapes my lips as I begin to see.

I have two enormous, black, leathery, beautiful, wings.
Everything on my mind slips away.
"I, I have wings." I say.
I know now, I know what to do, I have known all along. I have only just remembered,
I spread my wings " I can control them," I say.
Manipulating them up and down I propel mysfl.
I'm soaring up, my wings flapping rhythmically with my elevated heartbeat
It's as if my wings have been a part of me as long as I have been in existence. "I'm not really flying, am I? This isn't possible." I think, still in shock.
But it is possible, somehow, it is. And I am doing it.
I have wings.
Wings.

Ascending higher, and higher, I approach a cloud and glide through it.
It's a tunnel of cold mist, it's so breathtakingly beautiful, I don't realized I am indeed holding my breath.
I inhale the cold vapor, and all my troubles melt away.

The wind is strong, and I need to concentrate to control my wings.
Cool and refreshing air surrounds me.
Getting used to my new adaptations I try a daring somersault.
I am so free, "Why is this only happening to me now." I wonder
Floating I let the wind guide me.
My body, my mind, my soul have become one with the the wind, the clouds, the sky.

I soar, I glide, I am free. 
"Let go, it's okay, you can let go." There it is again, I  still can't find the source of the voice.
"Let go."
I lose concentration for a fraction of a second and my wings freeze and I plummet, down, and down, I start to cry.  "No." Is all I can say before I hit the ground.

"Let go." the voice says again.
I open my eyes and am blinded by lights, Three figures tower over me.

"Margot you can let go, it's okay I am here."

My eyes focus on the face, it is my mother. She is crying, why is she crying, where am I.
I observe my surroudnigns and realize I am in a hospital, "Why am I in a hospital." I wonder
Then I remeber.
"Sweetheart, I know why you did it, and it's okay you can let go, I forgive you." 
I needed to be free, so I jumped off the bridge.
I didn't want to be a prisoner of my mind, and I needed to be free. She understands, she actually understands.
I start crying. And then smile.

"Thank you, I love you so much."  I say to her, Then I close my eyes.
"You can let go Margot, you can be free."

My heart stops beating,
and I let go.


The author's comments:

I don't know what inspired, this.
I just wrote, and this happened. Margot wants to be free and is a prisoner of her mind, so she escapes the only way she can. Death. and She discovers her true self, and her mother forgives, and understands.