Midnight | Teen Ink

Midnight

By levi.and.his.windex BRONZE, Hickory, North Carolina
levi.and.his.windex BRONZE, Hickory, North Carolina

"Good books don't give up all their secrets at once." - Stephen King

In London, anything can happen. Time travelers, witches, shapeshifters. Cress lives in a small town in London, with her two friends Jonas and Scarlet. The three are out on a quest for the golden staff, in which the evil king Gorgon has. He wants the three dead so he sends our Scrett, his top level killer, The fight goes on and only one will have the staff. Who will it be?

Chapter 1: Chapter One

Of course they come for me. I'm always the target for the gangs. Why me? I don't know. God, I wish they'd leave me alone and go bother someone else. "We're going to get cha, Cress!" Their leader, Scrett calls after me. They have me running down an alley, the puddles splash as I trample through them. "You'll never get away this time!" He screeches, the hoots and calls of his gang creating dramatic effect. "Whatever!!" I yell, pushing myself to run faster. Light pours from the other side of the alley as I crash through a pile of trash cans and skid to the other street. I look back and see the shadows of Scrett's gang. Far enough to where I have time to change, I thought. My eyes close and I concentrate on the form I want to take. Swirls of blue smoke arise and circle around me and I begin changing my form from human to wolf. My cry comes out as a deep howl. "See ya!" I laugh and run into the darkness, leaving Scrett and the others eating my dust. "Hey!" He screams, throwing his knife on the road.

~~~

Friday morning. Rain poured down outside on the streets of England. Lightning cracks and thunder rolls. It was the early hours of the day but everyone was up. I was making breakfast, Scarlet was cleaning, and Jonas was playing GTA online with the people from Troupe 32. "Will you ever take a break from that stupid game Jonas? Maybe help around the place and clean!" Scarlet threw a pillow in his face, making him growl at her. I rolled my eyes and flipped the pancakes. "Why don't you two stop fighting like a couple and make the table for breakfast?" Jonas laughed and Scarlet hurried to help. They do this all the time. Fight and argue but when I say something about them being a couple (which they aren't... Yet!) they break it up. Gun shots sound from they tv and Jonas lets out a raging groan. "Dead again?! Curse you, 2kewl4urgirl!!" Scarlet and I snicker at his sudden burst.  He throws down his controller and head set and comes to eat.

"So what happened last night, Cress?" Scarlet asked me. "You came in soaked and in your wolf form!" Jonas leaned in to hear my story. I sighed. "It all started at the town market. I was getting our daily needs when Scrett showed up. He told me he would definatly get the pendant from me, so I ran into an alley, them right behind me. Stuff went down them I shape shifted and ran home." The two were quiet then Jonas laughed. "Why does he want your pendant?"

"My father gave me this necklace," I touched the jewel on my throat. "and then I found out it was an immortality pendant. Gorgon found out so he wants it. You know that." I replied with annoyance. We ate the rest in silence, all of us in our own thoughts.

"Harder! More power Cress, more!" carlet said as I threw my hardest punches at the boxing pads on her hands. She yelled the directions like hit left with right hand or block. The training was going for hours, the two of us sparring and practicing our skills. We wouldn't survive in the demon world without fighting skills, it's kind of a need if you don't want to get decapitated, blown to bits, or burned to death. "Scar, break." I said, turning around and grabbing my water. "Hey, did you hear about the Midnight Ball?" She asked, joining me. I shook my head. Her eyes widened. "Ohmigod Cress. The Midnight Ball is a ball at midnight. You have to have a date, or you can't come. It has a theme but it changes every year. This year's theme is Fire and Ice. There is a competition the end where the couple goes against another couple. If you win, you get a free year of training with the master sensei, Kahn Gorgan. I'm going with Rolan." She gasps and I tense, knowing she has an idea. "You should go with Jonas!!!"

"No, no, no. I can't go with him." I say flatly. Scar snarls. "Yes you can. I'm going to make you if you don't go."

"Scarlet, no." I reply.

"Yes! I'm going and asking Jonas to go with you." She smirks and runs out before I can grab her.

I read books about these types of people and it inspred me to write one of my own!