You'll Remember | Teen Ink

You'll Remember

By seanspiveyjr BRONZE, Poughkeepsie, New York
seanspiveyjr BRONZE, Poughkeepsie, New York

"All human beings are also dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together."
Jack Kerouac

I can still remember the faint scent of her as she rushed pass me in a hurry after the final bell rag. I couldn't help but follow it. And the closer I got, the more her scent screamed at me. I wanted to meet her, talk to her, and find out who this person was inside. I followed her until she got to the parking lot when this foul odor that almost completely masked the girl's scent. I realized it was coming from the guy she was now kissing.
The guys odor wasn't like, he didn't shower bad. It was more like you could smell the evil and terrible intentions coming from his body. He was one of those pretty boy sports stars. Doesn't care about the female feelings and nothing was going to change his mind. As I looked closer, I could see it was Derrick Cowen. The All-American freshman at some expensive college. I think he played basketball. I still haven't taken the time to look into him.
I later found out that the girl's name is Zaya Kendrick. She was a senior and has been dating Derrick for three years now. I started to think that maybe I was wrong about this Derrick person until I followed him one night. He came back home to visit her one weekend and after he dropped her off for the night, he headed to a house that wasn't his. I know because that wasn't the first time I followed him.
He didn't get out his car but I could him dial a number and a female voice pick up the phone. The girl, a girl in my 7th period AP English class named Ashley, came skipping out. Well from there you know what happened. I thought about telling Zaya about this but I've never talked to her. It's been four months since I first smelled her scent and a month since I saw Derrick cheating on her. But before I go any further, I'd like to introduce myself.
My name is Andrew Breed and I am a senior in high school. I know I've been talking about picking up scents and things like that, so I hope it's not a shock when I say I'm a werewolf. It's in my blood and I would cast it away if I could but then I would miss it and beg it to forgive me. It's a love hate relationship between my two forms. Let me tell you a little something about werewolves: the only time we change on a full moon is the first one after our sixteenth birthday. After that we can change when we want. Our clothes do rip when change our werewolf form isn't like what you see in the movies. We don't turn into huge overgrown canines or actual canines. We basically look like wolves if they only walked on two feet and we grow about two feet in size. You get a visual?
Before I get to what's going on now, I'm going to give you a little summary of what has happened in the two months of me first seeing Zaya. The next day after seeing Zaya I started seeing her everywhere. It was like she didn't exist in this world until she walked past me the day before. I started watching her, I began to learn the things she liked and the things she disliked, and I began to feel this nostalgic feeling that I knew all of these things already. Like, she bites her lower lip on the right when something is getting interesting and she bites the other side when she's confused. She doesn't eat meat or any dairy products and is an active member of the very small Vegan Society. Her favorite color is purple; a slightly lighter violet color to be exact.
I learned that she has very few friends but is popular with everybody even though she likes to keep to herself. She lives the normal high school life of a popular teenager that you read or see on television. But the one thing that peeks my interest when it comes to her is the necklace she wears. I've seen it before but I still haven't been able to put my finger on where I've seen it. On November 15th I was sitting with my dad after dinner. “Have you heard about murders going on in the city?” He said.
We live in a small town in Maryland just outside the city of Baltimore called Glyndon. “Yes, sir.” I call my dad sir out of respect and fear, but mostly fear. A lot of people fear my dad and 95% don't know he's a werewolf.
“Who, or should I say what, do you think is doing this?”
I thought about the murders. Everyone of the victims were torn to shreds. Each was messy and the bodies were mutilated to a point where they couldn't be identified by the human eye or the werewolf eye for that matter. The only explanation would be an animal attack. In other words a werewolf attack. I've already thought of that possibility, but it couldn't of been a werewolf. Werewolf don't kill humans, their only instinct to humans is to protect them or detain them if they're bad people.
“Are you thinking it's a werewolf?” My dad said interrupting my thoughts.
“No, sir.” I said. He nodded his head. He never asked me for explanations or to elaborate on my answers because he wanted to trust me.
“What ever happened to that girlfriend of yours?” He changed the subject. The question left me confused because I haven't had a girlfriend in a year and a half.
“What girlfriend?”
He stared at me. “I'm talking about the girlfriend you had five months ago. She used to come over everyday and suddenly I never heard about her again.”
I was so confused but as he said that, Zaya's face popped into my mind. That made me even more confused. “I don't know who you're talking about dad.”
He looked at me for a few seconds and said, “Alright if you don't want to talk about her it's fine.” He took a sip of his water, stood up and walked upstairs. He stopped halfway and said, “I don't know what's going on with you but it's like the last year and more has been erased from your memory.” With that, he continued upstairs.
He was right. I tried to think of the last year and half but I drew blanks. Werewolves have great memories, not perfect but close to it. Something as recent as a year ago should be fresh in my mind. I thought hard about the classes I took last year and couldn't remember anything. I couldn't remember what happened on m birthday or anything significant that happened last year. I looked at my phone and saw pictures I took on my birthday but I don't remember taking any of them. As I looked through them, one picture caught my eye.
Apparently for my birthday, we went to my favorite restaurant in town. A pizza place owned by my best friend Kyle's dad. I knew it was my idea because I like simple things or nothing at all. But in one of the pictures if you looked at the reflection in the window, you could see Zaya. Coincidence? I would pass it off as one if she wasn't sitting at the same table as my family. I didn't understand. My first time seeing this girl was less than a month ago and now she's in a photo that I don't remember. Is this the girlfriend my dad was talking about?
I grabbed my jacket and headed outside. I yelled upstairs, “Dad...”
He yelled back. “Be back before 11.” It was 8:30. I grabbed my car keys off the hook. There was only one place I needed to go. I drove about five minutes before I was in front of Zaya's house. I admit that I followed her home one day after school; don't judge me. I got out car and headed to her front door. I took a deep breath and knocked. Small light feet ran to the door, unlocked it and opened it. Standing there was a little girl about six years old.
When she saw me she smiled. “Hi Andrew!” She yelled. She ran up to me and hugged me. How did she know my name? Why did she know my name?
“I'm sorry, have we met before?” I said. I squatted down to her height and looked into her eyes. She had the same eyes as Zaya, the same smile, the same everything. I figured she was Zaya's little sister but I didn't think she would look so much like her.
“Of course Andrew. You're my sister's husband.” Husband? What is going on here?
“Ziya, who's at the door?” A voice said. I knew it what Zaya's voice but it was something about hearing it when I'm not in a noisy hallway trying to focus in on her voice. Zaya came into my view with a smile and when she spotted me, her smile faded. “Ziya go in the living room.”
Ziya looked at Zaya then to me and then back to Zaya. “Did you guys get a divorce?”
“Ziya!” She ran off laughing. She looked at me and her eyes immediately looked away again. What is going on here? “What are you doing here?” She said to break the silence.
Honestly, I had no clue. What did coming here going to do for me? What answers was I looking for? “Why does it feel like I know you?” Before I could stop myself from speaking, the question just came out of my mouth. She looked at me without saying a word.
“You must be mistaking me for somebody else. I've seen you around school but we've never said anything to each other before.” She was lying. I could tell because she wouldn't look at me when she talked. I pulled out my phone and pulled up the picture.
“Well, can you explain to me why you were sitting at my table during my birthday party seven months ago?” I gave her the phone and pointed at the reflection. She looked at it for a couple of seconds and handed it back to me.
“I wasn't sitting at your table. I was at the table next to your table.” I looked at the photo and she was right. How did I mistake her sitting next to me? Did I imagine it this whole time?
“I'm sorry. I thought...” I couldn't say anything else except, “I'm sorry for bothering you.” She nodded and I headed back to my car. I was so confused about everything that I just wanted to forget it and move on. That's what I did for an entire month. I stayed away from the places she might be and kept my mind busy so I wouldn't think about her anymore. And all was well until a month later
Now let's forward the story to present time. It's the evening of December 22nd and I'm walking around with Derrick. I bet you want to know why I'm walking with this horrible smelling guy. It happened about three hours earlier when I saw Derrick going around asking people if they had seen Zaya. He came up to me and asked but I hadn't seen her since winter break started. He said he was with  her up until an hour ago but she suddenly disappeared. My heart started to pound and I immediately wanted to help find her. Now back to the present. We are in the woods near town looking for any sign of her.
“I want to know why you're so anxious to find Zaya.” Derrick said to me.
“I'm worried.” I said simply.
“Why are you so worried about my girlfriend?”
“Because I'm worried and I don't think you have the right to call her your girlfriend.”
He stopped walking and turned to me. He grabbed me by the collar and pushed me against a tree. He looked me in the eye and said, “What do you know?”
I said nothing but all that did was make him tighten his grip. I could easily get him off me and have the upper hand but I decided to let him think he had the upper hand. I could tell now that he wasn't going to let go until I told him what I knew. “I know that you're a cheater and all you're doing is playing her.”
His grip loosened and his hands dropped to his side. He stared at me for a moment, turned and started walking again. I followed. We walked around the woods for another thirty minutes when I got I picked up a little bit of Zaya's scent. I turned to where the scent was coming from and I could see in the distance a scarf blowing against a tree. Derrick seen where I was looking and saw the scarf too. I seen his eyes widen.
“You recognize it?” I knew it was Zaya's scarf but I couldn't tell him that.
“Yeah, it's Zaya's favorite scarf. She only where's it on her days off because she doesn't want anything to happen to it in school.” I could see that he was even more scared than before. He ran towards the scarf, picked it up and stared at it. I walked up behind him and he said, “He mother made this for her before she died two years ago. It's the thing she cherishes the most in life.” He turned to me, “There is no way she would lose this without going crazy looking for it. Something must of happened.” He looked genuinely worried about her.
“But why is the scarf all the way in the woods when you guys were eating in town?”
“I have no clue. All I know is that she said she had to make a call and went outside. I was waiting for like ten minutes before I went to check on her but she was no where to be found. And then I saw this on the ground.” He pulled out a cell phone from his pocket.
“Is that her's?”
“No. This is just some cheap disposable phone you can get anywhere. I'm not sure if this is the phone she got the call on or if this phone is just another used up phone.” He handed the phone to me and I looked at it. By the looks of it, it was still brand new and probably only used once. I opened it and  checked the contents. There were no contacts or calls but there was one thing.
“Are you sure it was a call that she received?” I asked.
“Yeah. Her phone rang and she said had to take it. Then she went outside.”
“Does she have a different ring tone for when she receives calls and receives.”
“What does-” And that's when he caught on. It wasn't a call she received but a text. I showed him the phone and he looked at the text. A smile spread across his face and before I could react, everything went black.
I woke up in a bright room with my heading ringing. I was barely conscious as I heard the muffled sound of conversation. I kept my eyes closed and tried to focus on the talking going on in front of me. There were two guys talking in the room; one of them was Derrick. I could also hear five sets of footsteps from the other side of a door. I focused in on what Derrick and the other person in the room was saying.
“Okay I got the wolf boy, what do we do now?” It was Derrick's voice.
“Now we need to take the blood of the werewolf and some of your vampire blood so we can get the experiment ready.” I could tell now that the other person was a male.
“Whatever. What did you want the girl for?”
“I already told you. She has the blood of a witch. I already took some blood from her.” A vampire. A witch. A werewolf. He must be trying to resurrect something or someone that shouldn't be resurrected. I have to find a way out of this. “And what took you so long to get the boy?”
“I couldn't just knock him out in public. I needed to get him a secluded area.” Derrick said. I opened my eyes and Derrick looked at me. He smiled. Now I understood why he spelled so bad to me. I had never met a vampire before him so I couldn't put the pieces together. But now, I knew what I was smelling was a walking dead monster that has no soul or remorse. He knew who I was and I knew nothing about him, so he used that to his advantage.
I looked at the other male and immediately recognized him. He was a famous scientist known by the world until he disappeared two a year ago. Mica Yorry. His focus was study of genetics in humans. He's responsible for finding the formula to cure three types of cancer; breast, lung, and skin. Since he was here I figured out how he did it. Vampire blood is able to heal injuries, even major ones. So I guess he was able to study the blood of vampires and turn it into a cure for cancer. A smart guy he is and that also makes him very dangerous.
“Looks like our pet is awake.” Derrick said.  Mica turned and walk to me.
“Don't worry Mr. Breed, after we take the blood we need we'll kill you so that you don't feel an ounce of pain. I could feel the anger building up inside me. My wolf form was fighting to get out. “Oh don't get angry. You will only hurt yourself, because if you do turn into your special form, this special machine I created will shock you until you turn back. You don't want to be shocked do you Mr. Breed?”
A growl escaped my throat. I began to transform. Mica took a step back and as Derrick was ready to pounce, Mica stopped him. “It's fine, let him do it.” When my transformation completed, just as Mica said, I began to shocked by an amount of electricity that would a human in a second flat. I screamed in pain as I turned back to my human form. Derrick looked at Mica with a look of astonishment; I guess he believed Mica as much as I did when he said the machine would me.
“Let's go Mr. Cowen. We'll get your blood and come back for the wolf's.” They both turned and towards the as it slid open. I sat there for about ten minutes as I tried to get my head back into it. I looked around for what may be a solution for my problem but nothing. I sat in any room with white walls and a dull light hanging over me. I tried to wiggle free of the chair I was sitting in but I wouldn't have any luck doing that in my human form. Despair began to creep up on me and I began to feel helpless. There was nothing I could do to save myself and most of all the person I love.
Love... Do I love her? I know nothing about this girl, yet I feel like I love her. I feel as if I'm supposed to love her... I have to save her.
*
“Is that enough blood doc?” I said.
“Yes Derrick, that will be all.” Dr. Yorry said. He took the needle out my arm and the spot where he stuck it in had healed already. I rolled down my sleeve and started to walk off.
“Before you go, check up on Mr. Breed and make sure he didn't kill himself in order to foil my plan.” He said with a terrible laugh.
“Roger.” I walked out the room and headed to where we were keeping Andrew. But before that. Let me just check on her. I walked into the room next to Andrew's and saw the most beautiful creature this world has ever created. Zaya Kendrick. She sat in a chair just like Andrew's but only her's canceled out her powers. She stared at me with those beautiful blue eyes. “How long did you know I was a vampire?”
“I knew the moment you came back this summer.” She said. There was so much pain in her eyes but she didn't show it in her voice. “Your eyes are so dead. When I would lay against your chest, I couldn't hear your heart. I couldn't feel the emotion you gave me when you were human. A time when you could actually love. But now you're this heartless monster.”
“I didn't choose to become this!”
“But you chose to be ruled by somebody else. You could of left my life completely and let me live my life but instead do what all you heartless blood suckers do. Find somebody to make you feel better about how terrible you are. Someone to kiss your ass enough to have control over you and do everything they say. They'll tell you that you're the most dominate species in the universe. That's all they have to say to make you roll over and beg for more.”
I couldn't control my anger. I couldn't understand why her words were making me so angry, my fangs began to show. “What are you going to do, bite me? Go ahead and do it you oversized bat! I want you to bite and I want you to feel the pain of watching my lifeless body in this chair. No matter what you think about yourself, I know you have emotions in that body and it takes but one major thing to turn those emotions on and kill you inside. I know you loved me when you were human and I loved you too. I still do but you can't feel that emotion because you choose not to.”
“Shut up!”
“You're a coward. You're scared.”
“I said shut up.” I couldn't control it anymore. I bared my fangs and slowly walked towards her.
“Go ahead Derrick! Bite me!” I stopped and stared at her. I couldn't do it. Not to her. I rushed out the room and regained my composure. Why were here words hitting me so hard. I won't... No I can't care about her. I shake my head and push the thoughts out. I walk towards Andrew's room and the smell of blood caught my nose. I rushed to his room and he wasn't in there. How the hell did he escape? Without his werewolf form, I couldn't of been able to break out of that chair.
And that's when I realized, “Zaya.” I ran back to Zaya's room and she was now gone too. “Damn it.” I rushed towards Dr. Yorry's office but before I could get there, my body started to go limp and I was losing consciousness. I fell to floor and as I drifted out, I saw Zaya and Andrew stand over me. “How did you...”
*
That's when it came to me. During my transformation, the chair didn't shock me. All I have to do is use the strength I have during the transformation to break free. So I concentrated my emotions into one place; my heart. Just as I planned, I was able to break free of the chair. I transformed back to my human form so that Derrick couldn't smell me.
The door slipped open and I slid out. “Bite me!” I heard a female voice yell from the room next to mine. It was Zaya's. She must have been yelling at Derrick. I have to get her out of there. But how... Another idea came to me as Derrick came out of the room. I hid behind a wall and watched him. Perfect. His sense of smell should be heightened because he's trying to suppress the emotions he thinks he shouldn't have. I bit down hard on my lip and blood came out. As he was walking to room he smelled the blood like I figured he would.
I wiped my mouth with my hand and spread the blood on the wall as he walked into my room. I only have 15 seconds at most to get Zaya out of there. I ran to her room and pushed the button on the wall to release her. She looked at me for a second and chanted something quietly in Latin. Just then Derrick burst back into the room and looked around. He didn't see us or... He couldn't see us. I looked at Zaya who was still quietly chanting her Latin words and I realized she was saying a spell that must make us invisible to others.
Derrick ran off and she stopped. “Follow me.” She said. I nodded and we followed after Derrick. She started to chant another spell and I could see it was aimed towards Derrick this time. He stopped in his tracks, grabbed his head and then fell to the floor. Well walked over to his motionless body as he looked up at us. He fell unconscious.
“Come on. We have to get out of here.” She shook her head, grabbed my hand and continued to chant the spell. She pointed to the room where Derrick was heading. Mica Yorry must be in there. She needed to continue her spell in order to keep Derrick in this state. I nodded and I ran to the room.
“How's our patient doing?” Mica said. He turned to me and smiled.
I smiled back. “She's got him unconscious but we need to kill him now if we want to be successful.” I said.
“I just finished mixing together the blood of you three as well has my human blood. All we have to do know is inject him and we will have succeeded.” I nodded and took the needle. After I injected Derrick, his body began to dissolve. Zaya looked at me and smiled.
“We did it.” She ran up to me and hugged me. “It's been so long she we last kissed. I've missed you.” She said.
“I know but my lip is bleeding. I don't want to kiss you with a bloody lip.” I smiled.
“Nothing can stop me from kissing you right now.” We kissed and that put the final stamp on our plan.
The plan first came about six months when Zaya was approached by Mica. He told her that Derrick was recently turned into a vampire and that he was responsible for all the killings that had been going on in his area. So we devised a plan to stop him for good. First Zaya went to Derrick's school and alter his memories to that they had never broken up after he went to college. The second part of the plan involved me. She altered my memories so that it was as if I never met her and I knew nothing about Derrick being a vampire or knowing this plan. I went into this mission blindfolded basically and it was a real risk doing it but it was necessary so that I wouldn't let my feelings get in the way.
I regained my memories when Zaya grabbed my arm. That's when everything came back to me and I knew exactly what to do from there. The blood of a human, werewolf, witch and vampire can kill any being, whether it be supernatural or not. Mica approached Derrick about some bogus plan to give so much power that nobody can stop him. Him being a vampire, power was all he needed to hear before he was on board. Mica used this to his advantage so that he could get Derrick's blood.
The machine's that Mica made were real. When I turned into a wolf, it really did shock the hell out of me and Zaya's machine actually suppressed her powers. To make sure the plan went on even better, Mica took my blood a year before everything went down.
“I think things went pretty smoothly, you think?” I said. Everybody laughed.
“But on a serious note. You guys ready for another one?” Mica said.
Zaya and I looked at each other. “Give us a couple weeks. We have to make up for this past year.” Zaya said. We turned to walk away but I turned back.
“How does a month sound?” I said.
Mica thought about it. “Yeah that's fine.” I took Zaya's hand and we headed to my house. I needed to explain to my dad why I was acting the way I was. Zaya and I sat my father down and told him everything. He didn't interrupt or ask any questions while we explained and after we finished, he stood up. Nobody said a word.
“I can't say that I am happy that you did this or that you're in a relationship with a wish but...” He paused and looked at me. “I know what it feels like to not be able to stay away from the girl you're destined to be with. And...” Another pause. “I'm glad everything turned out okay. I'm proud of you son.”