Winter's Siren | Teen Ink

Winter's Siren

By CyrilLeonhearts BRONZE, Austin, Texas
CyrilLeonhearts BRONZE, Austin, Texas

Every winter I return to the house. The one lost in the woods that’s been reclaimed by time. Where flowers jut out of the living room boards and clamber over each other to reach the ceiling; their white buds blossoming like large tufts of dust. Or maybe it actually was dust? It was an abandoned house after all. But, that wasn’t the best part, that title was reserved for the pond. It freezes over nice and thick; thick enough to where you can go ice skating and not care about falling in. It was earlier in the winter than usual, but I came anyways.
I kick snow up with every step, feeling the numbness soak into my feet. My limbs are freezing even though I’m wrapped tight in my coat. I can barely feel my fingers and my toes might as well be gone. Trees are bare around me; the branches heavy with snow; heavy enough that ever so often a creak sounds followed by a soft thump.
Secluded. That was another plus of the pond. No other kid knew of it and that meant no one to bully me. No other kids to slap gum in my hair or break my pencils or yell at me for nothing. At the pond I got to be the tormentor. I got to be the one who dangled freedom right above a hungry maw. To skate above the thin cage that held her below
“Hello!” I cheerfully rush the last steps. Snow drags me down, but I still hurry towards her, “I’m back!” The skates in my hand hit the ground. Dropping to the ground, I look into the pond. At first all I see is my reflection, short black hair a curtain around my face, but peering further down I can see her. Draped in the shadows of the pond, the silhouette is barely visible. The lady’s form lurches upward, hair a long, inky trail behind. I barely have time to jump back before her palms hit the ice. A dull thud meets my ears.
The first time I came to the pond she wasn’t here. Neither was she there the second or the third. Or maybe she was. The bottom of the pond was deep and light didn’t penetrate that far down. She could easily hide down there, unnoticeable unless you were looking for her. The woman in the pond coos silently, face contorted in anger. Thin palms pound against the ice, long nails gouging into the ice.
“I can’t let you out.” I giggle into a glove. “Haven’t you seen a horror movie?” This seems to infuriate her more. The pounding increases, but to no avail. Looking away from her and over the ice, I frown. It was a clear blue in some places while crispy white in others. That meant it was thin in some areas. Sight alone wasn’t good enough when accessing icy ponds, but it was all I had right now. Thin ice especially wasn’t good when dealing with a creepy lady frozen under. “Guess I won’t go skating today.”
The lady pounds against the ice with a heightened fury. Thin cracks spread like spider webs. Leaving now, I grab my things and jump up.
“Bye! Can’t stay!” Even if she couldn’t hear me it was polite to say your goodbyes. Snow slips from my legs, leaving my leggings damp. Shivering, I yank my coat tighter. As if giving up on her escape, she swims downward. Hair trails behind, a shade amidst the dark waters. But, as quick as she turned away, she comes back. Another loud CRACK reverberates beneath, the spider web fractures spread.
Out of the corner of my eye I spy harsh colors against white. They notice me at the same time and stop. Skates are slung over many of their shoulders, the metal glinting in the winter light.
“You can’t skate here,” my voice trembles. Another crack from the pond echoes in the silent forest. Fear’s hand holds my heart. Please don’t break while I’m still here. I can’t seem to gulp in enough air. If I knew she could escape… my fingers dig in my coat.
“Isn’t that the zero?” The tallest kid of the bunch jabs the boy next to him. A chilling bout of laughter erupts. My insides twist. Now that I’m looking closer, I can see they’re kids from my school. Wonderful. I shuffle my feet, avoiding the looks they give me. My hands feel clammy and sweaty despite being frozen a moment ago.
“What would the zero know?” A girl, Clair, pushes her way forward. She slings her skates forward, eyes glinting as dangerously as the blades. Unconsciously, I step backwards. The snow beneath my feet is slushy. Pond water streams from the cracks, pooling around the edges. I wrap my arms around my chest, eyes darting for an escape. “Hey zero, go test the pond for us.” Clair walks towards me. Bright pink gloves rest on her hips. With every grating laugh I can feel her breath against my cold skin. It does nothing to warm me.
Clair pushes me back. Stumbling, I catch myself before slipping onto the actual pond.
“Hey Clair, don’t you think you’re taking this a little far?” A boy from the group pipes up. Immediately, she rounds on him.
“Shut up Dennis, unless you want to help the zero!” Clair jabs him in the chest with a pointed finger. Slipping on the snow, he hit the ground with a dull thud. The other children back away, eyes avoiding the problem; both Dennis’ and mine. I should have felt something, a little empathy that they were picking on him like they picked on me, but all I could feel was the numbness from the slush invading my body; that and the fear of the lady.
“Don’t do this, not now,” I beg Clair, but she ignores the comment. Looking down, my eyes meet the lady’s. Shell like protrusions crinkle around her eyes. She’s grinning showing off teeth as white as her sclera. Whispers escape the ice, drifting like a melody. My stomach drops. “Further out zero, we need to test the entire pond.” Clair shoves again. I slip against the slush, smacking my backside against the breaking ice. It’s all I can hear: cracking ice, cackling children, melodies from the trapped lady. The water soaks into my coat and leggings. My limbs are becoming too numb to move. Tears threaten to spill.            
“Hey zer-” Clair starts another taunt, but never finishes. The pond shatters beneath. Ice chips cut against my face. Screams erupt like a chorus, but it’s quiet against the shuddering crash the pond gives. I splash around frantically, gloves running over the slush for any purchase. Clair slips beneath, her voice swallowed by the icy waters.
A gaunt, dark arm shoots out of the water. Her nails dig into the slush grasping for anything. The torso comes out next, obscured by her sleek, black hair. It pools around her in the pond. A small pink glove is tangled in it, splashing for help. Not that she would find any as the other children had already run off. The only thing showing they were once there were the skates they’ve left and footprints in the early morning snow. I pull myself backwards, away from the expanding cracks.
The woman drags herself out and into the snow. Her hair trails behind, pooling endlessly against the dark waves. The pink hand has gone limp, still caught in the tangles. My shuddering breaths cloud in front of my face. As the woman turns her head, bright eyes meet mine. A smile stretches across her face.
“Hello.” Her lips don’t move. Sharp teeth glint. She shifts her body to sit, legs kicking idly in the freezing water. My heart beats in my ears. My teeth chatter, but no noise comes out. If I could scream, would anyone even come for me? Like she can read my thoughts her smile widens.
“Say thank you.” Her honeyed voice sounds, but again her lips don’t move.
“Tha-Thank Y-You.” My numb lips move on their own. My body is too cold. I try to shift my arms, but instead slam against the ice. Even the pain that should be there isn’t. Slush and pond water splashes on me, but I can’t even feel that. The pink glove draws my gaze. It slips deeper into the waters until only black hair remains, floating like a fine film. The woman’s head tilts as if appraising prey. Her sweet voice sounds again.
“How long have you been tormenting me, do you know?” She leans forward as she speaks, daintily placing a hand underneath her chin. I have no answer, mind too focused on how cold it is, how my limbs won’t move. “It’s rude to ignore pleas of help.”
“Sorry,” the words fall from my frozen lips. The woman hums in contentment, again idly running her legs through the pond. 
“Nice to here. Now be a good girl and slither into the pond.”

Sirens are really interesting, you probably shouldn't mess with one.