In The Fog | Teen Ink

In The Fog

May 17, 2016
By ml3__ BRONZE, Tallman, New York
ml3__ BRONZE, Tallman, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The streets were starting to empty as Vavashett started his rounds in the fog-blanketed city he was hired to maintain.  He intentionally didn’t have any of his carpenters or masons fix anything permanently or quickly because the more ruins existed, the more he could charge to fix them.  In addition, Vavashett would also profit from tasks similar to the one he soon did.

Vavashett arrived at an old building restricted to the builders in his  company.  He completely believed he was the best carpenter and architect ever seen, so he rose rather quickly within the company.  Also, he didn’t have or need for any friends high up.

Looking into the fog, the only person Vavashett saw was a sleeping old woman across the narrow street, and after noticing that the nearest light was still far off, he climbed into the site while making sure to stay in the fog.

Vavashett opened the door to the old Bank of Defaric, temporarily revealing some light, before closing it behind him, so the light disappeared.  Inside, Vavashett found Fajenor and all of his devices that were on the table next to where he was standing.  He dressed in very elegant clothes that were obviously not designed to be worn in a deteriorating bank.  Fajenor’s hands contained the book that he always had, but reading it would require him to move his red hair from his eyes.

“Whale hello,” Fajenor greeted.  “Ewe sheerly otter have the longest face I ever seen.”

Vavashett squinted at Fajenor. “You should be more respectful,”

Vavashett retorted.  “It is only through my high station and mercy that you stay out of the prison.”

“Well, with your knife demeanor, I need to keep my mind sharp incase you decide to cut me loose”

“I can go outside right now and tell a watchman that I heard strange noises at one of my building sites.”

“Fine, I’ll guess you also want me to lick your foot while you step on my face.”

“That... won't be... no, right no.” Vavashett stammered; then regained his composure, “All you need to do is be more respectful.”

“Great, here is the money.  Now you can be on your way.  B’bye.”

“See how easy that is.  Just add a ‘thank you for letting me stay here,’.”

“Since you will not just leave, I am going to offer you a job.  Take this box away,” Fajenor took a box out from under the counter while he said, “and I will pay you double next month.”

“Oh!” Vavashett delightfully exclaimed.  “Then I’ll take that off your hands.”
Vavashett soon left the old factory with the box and looked around.  He noticed the fog was thicker, but he saw no one he continued out of the site.  He thought back to when he had a reason to amass the large quantities of wealth he then had.  He was apprenticed to a carpenter while she was the second daughter of Defaric, the time’s most successful banker.  Vavashett first saw Archedia when she was watching the construction of her family's city home, and she was so...

“No,” Vavashett scolded himself.  That plan didn’t work, and that was his fault.  He pushed everyone away in his overpowering desire to have enough money to be her suitor, and that eventually included her.  Feeling uncomfortable in the open he then walked over to where the fog was thicker

Something interrupted Vavashett from his musings better than he could himself.  He heard a voice and immediately looked about himself.  He saw the old woman moaning in pain.  Vavashett looked away; then he saw the lights quickly approaching.  The box went flying, as the lights drove into the fog.  Vavashett tryed to open his eyes, but it was too late.  He hasn't sine anything.