Magic's Relief | Teen Ink

Magic's Relief

By kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York
kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York

"Remember, if people talk behind your back, it only means you are two steps ahead."

I grabbed the heart-shaped bottle and angrily threw its contents into the bubbling cauldron. My heart was pounding rapidly in my chest, its vibrations echoing throughout my body. I fell against the wall, sobs escaping from my lips. The shelf beside me came shattering to the floor as it collapsed under my arm’s weight in an attempt to hold myself up. Standing up, I grasped onto the brim of the brewing pot in front of me, letting the heat escalate from my fingertips to my palms. I felt no pain as the burning sensation took over my hands- I had felt worse pain earlier; and it wasn’t physical pain.

It was heartbreak.

Taking my hands off the pot, I brushed the tears off my cheek in a swift motion before grabbing the remaining ingredients I needed. I tossed them into the glowing liquid before I clutched the wood mixer. My hands were shaking violently as I dragged the mixer through the pot in circles. Through my eyes, everything was still, but it felt as if there were an earthquake inside of me. The liquid in the pot suddenly changed color, signaling it was almost ready. The mixer clattered to the floor as I dropped it and clasped the stone that lay on my chest.

As my fingers touched the smooth stone, all of our memories suddenly flew before my eyes. I saw him. I saw us; together, being happy, all smiles.

But then I saw something else. I saw him holding my hands, a guilty expression on his face, and him saying the words that I didn’t want to hear again.

I saw pain.

My tears fell even harder, and the anger, sadness, and betrayal in me boiled as I ripped the stone from its chain and flung it into the cauldron. I grabbed a nearby bottle and scooped up some of the liquid, just enough to do the job.

A forgetting potion.

Just what I needed.