The Archangel | Teen Ink

The Archangel

The Creature stirred in the inky darkness, primordial soup churning around it. Attempting to stand up, the Creature seemed to vanish. A roar shook the vacuum (which was remarkable because vacuums can’t carry sound) and the creature was thrown out of Nowhere back into what you and I might call reality. Almost the second it materialized the creature disappeared. Another roar and this prison dimension detonated like a bomb, its Walls breaking down and opening into the Void. The Creature appeared once more, roaring, and was no more. Until there was light…

***

The man smiled gleefully as he looked at the computer results again. “It’s happening,” he cackled, laughing maniacally. Glancing at the results again, as if fearing they might vanish, the man laughed again.

***

One billion people were no more.

***

“Sir!” shouted the guard to his commander. “The Rift is active!”

“Where’s Taylor?” a short, stiff man called. “He was just here.”

“Sir! We’re getting reports; people are disappearing! All over the world, sir!”

***

Two billion people were no more.

***

“What in the name of-” shouted the commander, shoving his way to the computer terminal. “That’s not possible!” He seemed angered and very, very scared by the image on the computer screen. It showed a three-dimensional coordinate grid that looked empty, except that in some parts, huge pieces of the grid were missing.

***

Three billion people were no more.

***

“THE COMMANDER IS GONE!” shouted the guard. “EVERYONE, WE HAVE A FULL EXPOSURE OF THE BREACH! CLOSE IT DOWN! CLOSE IT DOWN!” There was silence.

The Milky Way phased, ghosted, and vanished.

***

Imagine being trapped in a prison cell where you were routinely tortured by being killed. Except that you were immortal and so instead was forced to the brink of death. The Creature had to endure this for Eternity. Time was literally non-existent around It - It was always and never.

***

Chains materialized and the Creature roared in pain. The chains splintered and cracked. The Creature roared again and thunder boomed. The chains were ripped apart by a bolt of pure energy. The Creature was free. It was, until now, an imprisoned Archangel. Now it was free and its disobedient domain - its rebellious kingdom - would crumble. This was not just the end of reality, but also the end of Time…
    ***

I liked the idea of there being more than one sub-omnipotent beings, so I wrote a story about them.