the illness | Teen Ink

the illness

By rebeccahoppus BRONZE, Claypool, Indiana
rebeccahoppus BRONZE, Claypool, Indiana

never a failure always a lesson

I walked into what I call my lab, but really it is just an office. The lab is a baby blue color and it has pictures of germs and infected blood cells all over. It smells like cinnamon because cinnamon and vanilla are my favorite smells. The lab is really like my home, I’m always there. My partner Kaleb walked in, he is tall with dark brown hair and beautiful blue eyes. Honestly he is really quite stunning. My name is Isabelle Rainer; most people call me Izzy. I have dark brown hair and green eyes, I’m quite short, but a big brain in a small body is not uncommon.
“There are people getting very ill,” Kaleb said, “There have been several deaths from this illness too.”
“We will need some samples of the infected blood cells to test them,” I said.
the people that are sick so other people don’t get the illness,” Kaleb said.
Not long after we hear about the illness, there are several more reports of deaths from this illness.
“We need to start trying to figure out what this illness is and how we can stop it from spreading because obviously it is contagious,” Kaleb said.
“I’m working on getting some infected blood so we can start experimenting but for right now I need to start getting some items from the Laboratory Supply Store,” I said. “I need graduated cylinders, rubber gloves, and lots of hand soap for your safety and mine.”
“Yes ma’am,” Kaleb said.
The so called virus is still spreading not only in New York but it is now in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia. Kaleb comes running in with the supplies when the alarms start going off.
“We need to start to come up with an antibiotic really fast,” Kaleb uttered.
“Yes I know this I’ve been waiting on the clean graduated cylinders,” I said.
“Okay here you go,” he said. “I’ll go get the infected blood from the bank.”
  As he left, I started setting up my equipment. It seemed like he was taking forever then suddenly he busted through the door and started freaking out.
“There are people running around like they are crazy out there,” Kaleb said.
“Do you know why?” I asked.
“How would I know? Am I out there running?” Kaleb questioned sarcastically.
“No, come on, let’s just start testing the blood,” I murmured.
We put on gloves and surgical masks, for safety of course. We got out test tubes and graduated cylinders and all of these different types of medicines. I put the blood in a test tube, then I mixed penicillin with the blood and the bacteria flared up more.
“We cannot use penicillin in the antibiotic it makes the bacteria flare up even more,” I said.
“Okay,” Kaleb said.
Then some of the blood spilled on the counter so did amoxicillin and penicillin. We gathered it in a test tube and put it under the microscope, the combination is eating away the bacteria.
“I found an antibiotic, Kaleb,” I said.
I sent him to get infected blood of each blood type, and he left. I was cleaning up when I saw there was more blood on the counter so I cleaned it to pass time. About fifteen minutes later, Kaleb walks in with the blood. I put a little blood in each test tube I had laying out ready I put the mixture of the medicines in the test tubes and waited about ten minutes till I put the under the microscope.
“This is not good, the antibiotic only works on A positive and AB positive blood,” I murmured.
“We tried,” Kaleb said. “There is nothing else we can do, except give the antibiotic to people.”
We left the lab and went to the local hospital and gave them the antibiotic. Then we flew to the states with signs of the virus and gave them the antibiotic. After a few months there was very few people that had the virus but they eventually passed. We helped a lot Kaleb and I. I’m very proud of us and now we know what to do in a national crisis.