Shes Gone | Teen Ink

Shes Gone

October 25, 2016
By heatherrickert BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana
heatherrickert BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“This cold weather we’ve been having is terrible!” I exclaimed.
The heater had been broken for months. My very large family and I (6 brothers and 5 sisters) lived in a old, worn down house. It’s the type of house you would only expect to see in a horror film. All 11 of my siblings and I got along pretty well. It was usually pretty tranquil around this house. I loved all of my siblings the same, but we all have our favorites… right?
Brelynn was probably my favorite. All my other siblings treated her like an orphan but I got to know her and she was amazing. They didn’t really consider her part of the family. It was because she was like, Santa on Christmas. She was just such a good person. She had long brown hair, and eyes that were the kind of green you would want your grass to be. She was like the sun you always want to be near it but you know you shouldn’t, always needed but sometimes forgotten. Oh one other thing she was very, very shy, like a puppy around a bear.
She, for a long time, was very close to death. Wait, let me explain… there was this boy, about the same age as her I would guess, 17, he many times has tried to murder her. She is safe, but no one really knows why he did this. Maybe he hates her. I don’t understand how anyone could hate her, even the animals loved talking to her.
This is the reason why I had to protect her. Well also because I was the only person in our house with magic. Yes crazy out of all the children I had powers.
“Brelynn,” I yelled.
She came out like a flash of light.
“Yes?” she replied.
“We need to go out to town,” I told her.
“But nobody's home who will watch the animals?” she asked
“Oh don’t worry about it, I’m sure they will be okay for a little while,” I answered.
After a lot of convincing, she finally agreed.
“What are we doing out of town anyways?” she asked as we walked past all the places we usually stopped.
“I just need to get a little food so that we can eat tomorrow it’s bad enough that we eat so little daily.” I told her.
As we were approaching the house we saw a figure in the distance running away.
“Stop!” I yelled as I was stopping him already with my magic. He stood there frozen as we ran up to him. We already knew it was… him the man who is trying to murder my sister. Why does he do this? Both my sister and I are not angry we’re just confused. No one knows why he does this.
“Why are you here?” Brelynn asked him.
“I think we all know why,” he said in his rough voice as he sprinted off.
We walked back into the house and started to work on dinner. I couldn't stop looking at Brelynn with concern. What had he done this time we wouldn't know until something happened. I just needed a clue so I could fix it. There it was, my clue. I saw it there was a cut mark in the bread. I thought that he was more clever than this, apparently not.
I went to the bread and threw it away.
“What are you doing?!” Brelynn yelled.
“Saving your life,” I told her.
“It looks like you’re just trying to starve all of us that was a perfectly good piece of bread, now we’re going to have to go back out to town and get more,” She said.
She went on for a while but I finally explained what I saw and that I was saving her life. She understood and gave me a hug and thanked me for helping her and all the times I saved her life. It was my job I’m her older brother what else am I supposed to do… let her die?
A few days have passed since we saw him, and I needed to go into town again to find a job. Mother said to leave Brelynn here with father. I did and I was concerned for her but I knew I could trust dad. I left and started to walk towards town to see if anyone needed a worker. I found a couple but I didn’t find any I liked. Then like an angel sent from heaven I saw one. It looked perfect just what I wanted. It read “Save A Life Earn Money”. I do that everyday anyways what could be hard about that.
I walked in and there was a man at the counter he looked familiar. I couldn’t point out who it was but I knew him. I walked up to him and said “I saw the sign on your door, are you hiring?”
“Well a matter a’ fact we are…” he said in a voice so familiar I could almost taste the hate in his words.
It was him the one who was trying to kill my sister. “Why do you do this?” I exclaimed.
“Do what?” he asked in a sweet innocent voice. He seemed different he seemed actually… nice.
“You know, try to kill my sister,” I said in a very resentful voice.
“I would tell you but I need your help,” He said back in his rough murderous voice.
“I ain't helping you. Why do you think I would do that?” I asked.
He replied with something I didn't expect “because you hate her too.”
I can’t believe he would think I could or would hate her. This was just crazy, I needed to get out of this place. He had already had his dog guarding the door.
I walked towards the dog and tried to get past it but all it said was “You ain’t leaving till you get your business done.”
“Why do you think I hate her?” I asked him.
He replied in a way that almost made sense to me “Because you do, and you know it. You protect her, you provide for her, you do everything you can for her, and for what her to treat you like she does. No thank you for what you do, yell at you if she ‘thinks’ you do something wrong. I don’t think it’s right, but if you want to go back to that life then do it. I’m just trying to make everyone happy here.”
“What’s your deal with her?” I asked.
“I tell you after the job gets done,” he said, “do we got a deal?”
I hesitated I mean who wouldn’t he did have a point but I didn’t want to hurt her. Or maybe I did. I was very confused. “Yes… you have a deal” I told him
“Great,” he said in the most devious voice I’ve ever heard.
A couple days passed and I haven’t forgotten my deal. For some reason, it's made me so angry I don't know what's been making me angry but it has changed the whole way I’ve been acting. Brelynn has even noticed but I’ve been avoiding her the past days till I figure out what I’m going to do. I mean there are so many ways I could do this but I just don’t know which one would be the best way to without getting arrested. 
By the next day I was back in that spot where I met the man that was trying to kill her. I told him that I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to do it. I wasn’t a criminal mastermind like him. He gave me some ideas but some of them seemed like he was trying to kill me. There was one I felt like I could do. It was the same way he last tried to kill her. I mean I made all of her food and she trusted me. She wouldn’t suspect a thing.
“I don’t know that you should do that one,” he said.
“Why not? Do you think I’m not good enough? Are you backing out? You can’t do that now after all this trouble I’ve went to,” I told him.
“Fine you can do it but I need to be by incase something goes wrong,” he explained.
I understood that like what if she didn’t die and she called the cops or something. Everything was going according to plan. Tonight I would do it. Of course I was nervous I think he was too. He looked like he regretted giving me the poison.
It was later that night when I was making dinner no one else was home they were all out somewhere. And I knew I had to do it. Then and there I slowly poured the packet into her drink. There I sat waiting watching the powder dissolve into her drink. I heard everyone pull up and I told ‘him’ to go outside of the kitchen. He did and Brelynn walked in as he just got outside. She sat down and waited for everyone to come in and sit down to eat.
“I made us all special punch,” I told everyone.
They all started eating and finally the time came she was just about to put the glass up to her mouth, when all of a sudden I heard a noise.
“STOP!!” he yelled, and slapped the drink out of her hand.
“Oh no! It’s him again!” Brelynn yelled.
What was he doing? He just ruined everything.
“Listen Brelynn, I need to tell you something you don’t need to be scared. I need to tell you why I’ve been doing all of this,” he told her.
“Fine, what is it?” She asked still trembling.
“I have been jealous of you since we were little kids. I was always so jealous, you would beat me at everything. You were always better than me,” he confessed. “I saw that look on your brothers face I tried to make him kill you for me. I needed to stop him but I convinced him you were a bad person when really it was me it always was. I’m sorry could you ever forgive me?”
Out of the kindness of her heart she did.  They became really good friends actually. Eventually they got married, they fell in love. They also had an old house with lots of kids just like my parents. Brelynn never forgot what I did but she still loves me. My anger got the best of me and she knows that I didn’t mean it. She still blackmails me with it but we love each other all the same.