Turnac and The Drake | Teen Ink

Turnac and The Drake

December 15, 2016
By Anonymous

On a brisk hot summer day, our hero travels to the village of Gorafull on the back of a horse-drawn carriage. Turnac is only traveling to Gorafull to retrieve a large blood red ruby that is said to be a near perfect cut for his employer back at the capital. The gemstone itself is worth a small fountain which lead Turnac to dream of what he could do with such a prized gemstone for he could live like a king, or rather a wealthy noble for at least a few short months. On the other hand, patrols would be sent from the capital to hunt and capture him for the rest of his days so Turnac ignored the idea and set out for the village so that he may at least retrieve it for his employer.
It’s rather difficult to find the village of Gorafull if you have never visited before because the village is not found on any major maps which can be a problem for newcomers. As Turanc’s carriage approached the village he saw a great oak tree and decided to climb it for a vantage point so that he may make out all of the important buildings within the village. The Ironkeep Inn was the first building he made out and how couldn't he, the building is more than three times the size of any of the other buildings, for it hast to be considering of all the travelers and caravans that travel here just for a handful of gemstones. Turnac was also able to make out all the other buildings that had little importance in his journey like the Blacksmith's Quarters, the Grainery, the Fishery, and the Distillery among many other buildings that keep the eco-structure of Gorafull. However, the building he was really looking for was the gem cutter's workshop for it was the second largest building and received the second most business next to the Ironkeep Inn. The workshop contains some of the best blacksmith and gem cutters that have ever stepped foot in the kingdom of Lonizia. The building itself holds more wealth inside one room than nearly the entire village as a whole.
Turnac, barely able to keep his excitement, hurried along towards the gem cutter's workshop but it was only then that he could make out the structures for its true nature. The building is made out of the finest and hardest building materials ranging from polished iron wood and fine cut limestone for the structure. Though something was wrong, it looks as though the building was in disarray. The lack of minecarts or even workers for that matter were apparent for the blacksmiths and the gem cutters alike look slouched and bored. There also seemed to be no business being taken place within the building itself.
“Halt who goes there!” shouted the guard who was guarding the main gate.
“You may not enter unless you have strict business with headmaster Roberts!” he shouted with spit flying out of his mouth.
“You don’t know who I am?” proclaimed the self-righteous Turnac “I am here to speak to Master Roberts over a gemstone cut that I must return to the capital,” Turnac pulls out a letter with embroidered wax stamped with a peculiar ‘U’ which he assumed that it was the last name of headmaster Roberts.
After reading the letter and analyzing the text for a few minutes the guard announced “Alright this looks real enough, go into the parlor, up the stairs, and the second door to your left you can’t miss it,” he says with spit flying everywhere.
Without even a thank you Turnac left to go and speak to Roberts, but as he entered the workshop he noticed that the parlor was empty no tables, no paintings, not even a single candle. As he climbed the stairs he noticed the same thing the building was stripped of content until Turnac saw Robert's room which had the remains of what used to be an office but not much remained just a desk, a chair, a candle, a stationary station, and piles of papers out to the side. Other than that the room was empty.
“Come in, come in sit down or stand or leave just hurry I’m busy,” proclaimed Roberts who kept his eyes on his stationary station and writing a letter.
The Roberts voice scared Turnac for he had not realized that he was sitting within the chair working. Turnac noticed the ‘man’ by the name of Whoseal Roberts was actually a hobgoblin which would explain his harsh nature. Roberts was roughly three feet in height and was balding heavily covered with gray hairs from head to toe. Roberts also wore big spectacles that made him able not only to see gemstones but the fine print of contracts and allowed him to read very fine text, however they seemed rather fragile considering that it’s huge panes of glass. The hobgoblin wore only half of a suit the other half seemed to be missing, no matter as his midsection was fully engrossed by gray hair.
“Why is everything missing and within disorder? What has happened here?” Turnac asked sincerely.
“We had to sell everything in order to make payments that have been in place, you're not the  first one to stop by and gather their pre-cut gemstones that we don’t have,” said Roberts still writing with his stationary.
“Also there was an incident within the mine that caused all of this to happen, leading me and my workers to a near point of bankruptcy so I cannot do anything as of now…  even though I wish I could,” said Robert still looking down.
“What exactly could have been so devastating to cause this massive financial blow, it couldn’t be a cave in because Dwarves could easily dig their way through within a week or so,” claimed Turnac.
“Nothing rudimentary like that I assure you, our problem is much more severe,” Roberts exclaimed as he runs his small hands through his hair.
After a long pause, Roberts spoke up “I’ll get straight to the point, a Drake has moved into the mine.”
“Wait what, how could a Drake move into the mine and not destroy the entire town out of boredom by now?”
“The Drake is still young but never the less it is within the mine and is a major threat to not only my business but the whole jewelry industry in general. Listen this situation is grave and I have heard of your tall’s so if you can get rid of the Drake I will gladly triple your pay.”
Turnac ponders that thought for a minute “Very well, I will do this deed however I promise nothing.”
“That’s all I can ask, you are dismissed, go take care of the problem.  I’ve wasted to much time talking to you,” bawled Roberts who seemed to be getting impatient
Turnac snarled then left the nearly empty house and headed for the mine. As Turnac passed the buildings and the businesses he noticed that everyone looked as though they were all lead-footed and reacted rather sluggish.  All the blacksmiths had nothing to smith, all the shops were closed from lack of business, and all the miners are just sitting around doing nothing. The only people who had any purpose were the farmers who were angry that they must give away their grain for free because the peasants are currently in need.
The mine itself was rumored to go deep below the earth and is said that it could take hours just to reach the bottom. The entrance to the mineshaft was immensely large that it seemed as though a giant could travel in and out of the mine without a problem. The inside the mine was filled with darkness and it looked as though it could go on forever in the dark void that was held within. As Turnac lifts and lights a torch off the wall a burning light fills the mine which allows Turnac to venture down the passage so that he may face the drake at the end of this maze-like mineshaft.
The more Turnac ventured down through the mine he noticed something peculiar, there seemed to be no gemstone deposits. Even though he had ventured very far into the mine by this point there should be not fully mined deposits that are visible by now. It has looked as though they were ripped from the walls by the Drake itself. As turnac approached the end of the mineshaft he noticed a light cavern he put out his torch and proceed to see not only a bountiful hoard of treasure but the beast herself in the flesh.
The Drake was large and robust and looked as though it could swallow a man whole. It was covered in blood red feathers and had wings of that similar to an eagle. Even though it was a child he would haft to outsmart the creature for a one on one fight would surely be certain death. Turnac entered the cavern held within the mine and stealthily climbed a small ledge to gain a vantage point but still be far enough away from the creature so he may not get detected, drakes are none for their veracity and their acute senses so Turnac would need to remain at a certain distance.
The Drake laid within a deep slumber and the cavern emit a roaring blaze from a fire pit the Drake had made. There was a small room like division within the cavern which looked like a perfect way to trap the creature. It seems as though it was a room meant to hold recreational activities for the workers who were on their break.  Above the cavern were several groups of stalactites but the floor was bare of stalagmites for the miners must of cleared them away to make the ground smoother, this  gave Turnac an idea. He pulled out gunpowder and a bombshell with a fuse so he can make a bomb so it will kill the beast.
Turnac readied a throwing knife for his aim needed to be true and as he threw the knife  it soared and hit a table in the recreational room in the distant room. The Drake moved his head immediately and looked at the room and with its acute vision could see the knife laying on the ground. It moved to investigate and navigated its head through the room which propped the creature into position. Turnac lit the fuse and waited for the fuse to get shorter. Then with all his might he threw the miniature bomb at the stalactites. As he did so he tripped and made a thud on the ground causing the Drake to move its head once more to make a U shape to see what had made the noise. As the bomb blew a small cave in occurred trapping the Drake under three tons of stone and sedimentary rock.
“For what have I done to deserve this? I only did what I was told and nothing more!” Boomed the Drake as it laid dormant on the cavern floor.
“What do you mean?” Turnac asked, “You terrorized the miners so you could receive all the gemstones for yourself.”
“That is not true, I was tasked by my master to remove all the gemstones and leave as soon as possible so they may sell them more quickly. Besides I have feathers, not scales so treasure is no use to me.” That is true, feathered dragons tend to explore magic and its properties and generally have little interest in treasures.
“Who is your master and why has he done this to the mine?”
“A village child who lives on a distant farm saved me from death when I was still an egg If it was not for him I would have frozen to death within the wild.”
“So the child wanted the gemstones for himself?”
“No, he simply wanted his father to come home so I was sent to speed up the process by mining the gems for them which would give their family more money so they can start their farm up again.”
"Than this was all just a misunderstanding?"
“More like you were mislead, and for this transaction my fate has been sealed.”
Turnac turned unable to face the dying creature, for it is his fault that this had happened. He turned and walked briskly away making sure not to turn back. This will implement Turnac’s actions surely for the rest of his life for this made him realize that he must now all the facts before he does any major decisions concerning himself or others. He met with Master Roberts, told him what had happened, claimed his reward and continued along the path so that he may end his trek and relax in peace and fully reflect over what he had learned.