A New Endevor | Teen Ink

A New Endevor

By ryanr6893 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
ryanr6893 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida

A New Endeavor
     Young Sophie Jones was merely playing in her backyard. Her only worry was listening for her mother to call her in for dinner. Tonight was her favorite meal, chicken nuggets with mac and cheese. Only a while later, after some more joyous playing, a cat wandered into her backyard. She instantly fell in love because it was her favorite color, orange. Just as any girl her age would do she invited it to play with her. When the cat merely replayed with a meow, Sophie let out a sigh of disappointment. So, in turn she asked the cat, “What's your name?”
     The cat c***ed its head sideways and said, “Name? No I don't have one of those I'm only here to speak with you when you need it.”
     Sophie’s eyes widened to the size of a tangerine. Then she went on and on asking question after question for what felt like hours. The cat simply sat there occasionally licking itself. Sophie took quite a while to lose interest in the once talking cat know gone mute. She then looked to the sky and where a bright yellow sun had laid now sat a moon high in the sky. She inquisitively looked at her house letting out a small whisper “Why has mommy not called me yet? Maybe she just forgot she's forgets a lot since dad had to move away.”
     The cat suddenly ran towards the door for the house and began pawing at it to no end. Sophie slowly walked up to the door and opened it allowing the cat passage. She now could hear a noise her mother was making. It was not a happy call for Sophie yet one filled with regret and sorrow with a dash of tears. Sophie made her way towards her mother’s room and found her sobbing and clutching her favorite picture of her and Sophie. Sophie walked towards her mom and reached out to comfort her but could not touch her. She panicked and screamed for as long as her throat allowed. However soon the screams began to slip towards cries which soon lead to Sophie sitting in the corner trying to rock herself to sleep. The cat which was orange now appeared black. It began to speak once again “Early you asked my name which honestly I do not know of however, I know my purpose. I'm here to help people like you. You need to say your farewells and move on for if you don't you'll get what you want but it will turn against you. You staying will rot you to the core and destroy all that you love.”
     “But I want to stay with mommy,” Sophie whimpered.
     The cat looked her dead in the eye and said “No, you need to let her know the truth”
     Sophie mind began to race. She searched for the truth. Deeper. Deeper. Deeper. There. She was lost her mom in the park and began to cry but only a little. Soon a man approached and asked “Why are you crying little girl?”
     “I can't find my mommy,” Sophie sobbed. 
     “Well I can help with that. Come with me and it will be over soon,” he said.
     Sophie blinked and the present returned to her eyes and her mind. She knew what she had to do. She needed to tell the truth. She also knew with the truth she would soon have her mother back. So she leaned into her mother’s ear and whispered “Why mommy? Why did you leave me?”