Charlie, Janet, Garth, and Flynn | Teen Ink

Charlie, Janet, Garth, and Flynn

By Mycroft_Lestrade BRONZE, Farmersville, Texas
Mycroft_Lestrade BRONZE, Farmersville, Texas

Screams, moans, and terrible snarling are the only sounds she hears. They’d come across another creature, one of the nastiest by far. It had the body of an enormous bear with the head of a hideous snake. They were approaching with striking speed, unrelenting and unmerciful. The beast was lacking in endurance and quickly fell. She looked over at Garth and sighed in relief to find her partner unscathed.

“Are you okay?”, Garth questioned. She nodded as she examined the ungodly thing. They’d sheathed their weapons in it’s hide taking it down with adroit precision. With an odd reluctance they abandoned the corpse, but not before un-burying their weapons. This was the fifth creature they had encountered on their short journey. Before these scrapes, they’d not liked each other very much. They could both recall their meeting. Garth had spotted Charlie first. She was beautiful, tanned skin covered in freckles, fiery red hair topped her head in curls, and her figure lean and strong from defending herself. The monster she faced was rather ruthless, but she was determined. By the end of the scuffle, the creature lay dead, while Charlie stood victorious. Garth approached slowly, very unthreatening like, so he wouldn’t startle her. When she saw him, she assumed a defensive stance. With her soft yet firm voice she demanded he voice his intentions.
“I just saw you kill the thing. You have talent,” She didn’t seem convinced and didn’t move out of her stance. He sensed the continued hostility and raised his hand high, in a surrendering manor.

“Look you could probably end me in one swing, plus I don’t want to fight,” She sighed and stood a little less threateningly. She motioned for him to continue. “I want to form a partnership. I think if we work together, we can live a lot longer.” She seemed pensive before she huffed and crossed her arms over her chest.

“Who are you anyway?”, she demanded. He smiled at her then bowed rather graciously.

“My name is Garth.” She seemed unimpressed, but nodded all the same.

“You can come along, just don’t slow me down.”

“I can promise you I wouldn’t dream of it Sweetheart.” She visibly cringed, then proceeded to glare at him.
“Don’t call me that, okay Sweetheart?”, she bit out rather aggressively.

“Noted.”, he choked out. It was a bit of a different experience for Charlie. She had just slayed the beast when a man approached her. She wasn’t necessarily frightened but she was cautious. The first feature she noticed about the odd man was he only possessed one arm. The rest of his features weren’t as notable, but he was by no means ugly. He had the greenest eyes she’d ever seen, and his white hair almost blended with skin; he was the epitome of pale.. After he explained himself, she felt an almost instant irritation. He was quite pompous, yet at the same time respectful of her. Maybe he wouldn’t be so bad.

Here they are now, getting ready to vacate and continue their journey. They had been walking an hour or so when they began to hear a swishing sound in the distance.

“What do you think it is”, Garth whispered. Charlie shrugged and motioned him forward, while unsheathing her sword. They crept toward the sound and found what seemed to be a butterfly dragon hybrid. It looked like a giant butterfly, but the smell of putrid burning flesh gave away the fire breathing ability. As they studied the scene, they saw what seemed to be a charred carcass lying in the dirt. Charlie made a move to get closer, but before she could act a figure lunged out of seemingly nowhere and charged the thing. The person struck it once and it fell. When the person turned toward Charlie and Garth, they saw a woman. In Charlie’s mind, she was beautiful, like nothing she´d ever seen before. Her skin was the most vibrant ebony, her hair the brightest pink, and her eyes the prettiest brown. Garth found her rather monotonous compared to Charlie. While their minds roamed, the girl had spotted them. She was halfway to them when Charlie snapped out of her daze and rose from her crouched position. She sheathed her sword and made herself as unthreatening as possible. The girl continued coming forward and put her hand out as if she wanted Charlie to shake it. Charlie took her hand and shook it slowly.

“Hello my name is Janet.” Charlie gave Garth a look and took her hand back.

“I’m Charlie and he is Garth.” Janet nodded and smiled at Charlie. Garth seemed thoughtful before requesting an alliance with the talented woman. She accepted, and they continued on their journey. As the days passed Janet and Charlie seemed to grow closer. They spoke constantly, but always included Garth. They had been speaking often about Glacia, the control center of the world. Before they could cross through, an enormous Leviathan lay under the sea. He would allow none to cross and must be slain to assure the prosperity of the new age. They had strategized many plans and organized multiple attacks, all speedy and meticulous. Janet had proven to be very strategic, while Charlie faired very fast. Garth, on the other hand, seemed to be rather easy-going and only defended himself when necessary. They started to hear the coast when they came across a person. He was sleeping, and seemed peaceful. Janet and Charlie didn't want to disturb him, but Garth took the situation into his own hand, and woke the man. He awoke with a start gasping, attempting to scramble away. They all held their hands up signalling they meant no harm while standing stock-still. The man seemed to relax a slight amount before questioning the trio.

“What are you doing?” He spoke in low tones, a deep baritone. Charlie spoke for the other two..

“We saw you sleeping and fell worried.” They nodded along as she spoke. He accepted the answer, and managed a friendly grimace.

“What do you want?”, he questioned.

“We need help fighting the great Leviathan, maybe you could assist us?” He nodded, and gathered his things.
“My name is Flynn.” They all nodded and smiled, Janet spoke for the trio and introduced them to their new found friend.

“I’m Janet, the redhead is Charlie, and one arm is Garth.” He seemed to chuckle. He liked these people, and wanted to stay with them. With meetings out of the way, they continued onward to the sea.

When they got close to the sea, they could feel the energy of the tantalizing beast. Their final plan was to take down the thing as quickly as possible. They felt brute force best as they had the means to do so. They had their swords and planned to attack. They were nearing the shore when they spotted it. Great and black seeming to take up the whole sea. It roared as it spotted them and attempted to hit them with its tentacle. They dodged and rolled behind a rock.

“We’re going to have to climb across its tentacles to get to the head,¨ Charlie yelled. She was barely heard. They all nodded and left from behind their rock. Charlie got on first holding, on for dear life, crawling slowly to the center. Janet was next in fear for Charlie going after her with immense speed. Garth seemed hesitant, but Flynn leapt into action.

“You have to get on my back, it’ll knock you off in a second.” Garth was about to reply when Flynn threw him over his shoulder heading for a flailing limb. Garth didn’t fight, but instead held tight, and embraced for impact. Janet was catching up to Charlie at an alarming speed, Charlie almost being at the center put them both to the head. The screeching had intensified, and they both struggled to stab the monstrosity. Garth and Flynn had made it by then, also stabbing at it, willing it to die. It finally took a winning blow to the head, Flynn killing it instantly. When the creature stopped flailing Janet embraced Charlie.

“Don’t you dare go off like that again I could have lost you.” Charlie nodded numbly as she hugged her soulmate. Flynn looked at the scene and felt immense pride. He had known them a few days, and yet he felt close to them, connected. He then looked at Garth ther man he’d became close to and smiled.

“You’re the best friend I could have ever asked for.” Garth smiled at him and hugged the big man. Janet extended her arm and gripped Flynn’s shirt pulling the other two into the hug. When they all had their fill of the hug, they parted.

“I think we should head to Glacia now.”, Flynn suggested. They all nodded, but before they left, they devised a plan if they were to encounter humans on the island. People on the island was very unlikely, for they probably left when things got bad. If there were though, they planned to take no prisoners, and claim the island.

With the plan set, they started swimming North. They had been swimming for only five minutes when they saw Glacia forming. They finally reached the island, and it seemed deserted. There wasn’t a person in sight. Flynn suggested that he and Garth go look for people and Janet take Charlie and search the main control area. The girls entered the room, which was surprisingly technical for such a nature oriented island, and found no one. Janet had become attached to Charlie and thought this a good time to show her affections.

“Hey Charlie may I speak with you?” Charlie nodded and sat on a chair. Janet smiled and took the seat next to her. “Charlie ever since I met you I’ve felt connected and close to you. I feel like we are made for each other, and I’m not sure if that’s because you’re the only girl I’ve been around in weeks or if some divine force is telling us something. So, in short, I have the biggest crush on you.” Charlie had the biggest smile on her face when Janet finished.

“ I feel the same. I though am not as skilled with words, so ‘same’ will have to suffice.” Janet laughed and hugged Charlie. At this point, Garth and Flynn entered giving the all clear. Charlie broke away from the hug and stood.

“I think it’s time to start ruling the world.”

This was a school paper and I found it rather good.