Helen | Teen Ink

Helen

November 17, 2017
By AllyVince BRONZE, Lancaster, Wisconsin
AllyVince BRONZE, Lancaster, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


The rain rapidly gushed down the streets; there was no way of crossing it. As dark, threatening clouds rolled in, a gloomy shadow fell upon the small, desolate town. The glow of a small rickety house beckoned. A young girl scurried up to the house. Her long raincoat drug through the mud as her yellow rainboots splashed in puddles. Auburn hair, almost black from the superfluous water in it, hung in front of her emerald eyes.


An old woman, taller by a foot, appeared in the doorway as the girl knocked. Her face looked sad with many wrinkles lining her eyes and mouth. She had huge snow white curls in piles on her head. She smiled crookedly.
“Hello there, precious, little one. What has you out on such a stormy night?”


“I got lost while playing,” the girl said meekly.


“Oh that’s just terrible! Please do come in!”


The girl hesitantly tiptoed in, remembering to be weary of strangers. The old lady turned and exclaimed,
“Oh dear! I never got your name!”


The girl looked around the room as she answered, “Rachel.”


“What a pretty name! Would you like something to eat?”


“Um, no thanks. I should really get home.”


“Oh don’t be silly! I’ll whip something up real quick!” The lady disappeared into the darkness.


After what seemed like an eternity, the lady returned. Smells of warm cinnamon and apples danced their way to Rachel’s nose. The lady bobbed her way over to a square coffee table.


“You like pie, right dear?”


Rachel glanced at a huge knife in the lady’s grip. “Yes, but I should rea-”


“The apples are from my apple tree out back! So they’ll be nice and fresh,” the old lady chirped. She cut into the pie with a dagger-like knife while humming a cheerful song. Rachel was afraid, and began checking for open windows to escape.


“Don’t bother looking, sweetie,” The old lady said cheerily.


“They’ve been boarded shut for years!” Her smile grew into a cheshire grin. She cackled as her expression darkened.


“Oh, you’re going to love it here, Helen.”


“That’s not my-,” Rachel began.


“Of course it is! Don’t be silly!”


“But-”


“It’ll be just like old times!”


Rachel’s heart raced. A bead of sweat formed at her temple.


“Follow me. Please, Helen.”


Rachel thought quickly. “Oh but I would love to see that apple tree you’re talking about first!”


“What a fine idea!”


The old lady led Rachel outside. The darkness fell like a cover over Rachel’s eyes but they adjusted quickly.
“This is the beauty,” The old lady proudly stated.


She turned only to find Rachel sprinting away.


The author's comments:

I enjoy being creative in writing. I also enjoy scary things.