The Nite | Teen Ink

The Nite

By handsoap BRONZE, Houston, Texas
handsoap BRONZE, Houston, Texas

“Mama..” A dry raspy voice tugged on another woman’s shirt.

“Yes, baby?” Her voice began to shake.

“What’s happening to Kelly? Is she going to be okay?” A high-pitched voice murmured.

“Yes, baby. Your sister will live, alright?” The mother patted her young daughter’s head and kissed her forehead. Her eyes closed as she watched from the hospital room, doctors shouting and trying to help the affected patients.

“Mommy!” The girl called, “MOMMY LOOK!” She screamed.

The mother’s eyes flashed open, instinctively, she covered her daughter up with her arms as the glass shattered in front of them. Dozens of patients were seizing and attacking the nurses and doctors.

“Run baby girl!” The mother cried, as she was dragged in the mess. Watching with tears the young girl ran.

Getting up from her sleeping pod, Storm sighed. Blinking and picking up a newspaper, she headed towards the public restroom to brush her teeth.

“Huh. It’s been 7 years since then..?” Her eyes scan over the paper, reading the headlines.

‘Nite disease still affecting all outside The Dome’.

Memories flashing in her brain, she quickly pushed the dark thoughts out of her head. “No, Storm. What’s done is done.” She swiped a tear that had run from her eye.

“Hey girl!” Her friend Luna had slapped her shoulder.

“Seriously?” Storm scoffed and hit her back playfully. “Not a morning person.”

“Yeah, I can see that with the bags under your eyes, dude. You were supposed to sleep by 10, you better not let the Powered see how tired you are. You kinda disobeyed one of their rules.” Luna scrunched her nose.
“The Powered this, the Powered that. What kind of government makes those kind of rules? Sleep by 9 or 10, and wake by 7? Really?” Storm rolled her eyes.

“Yes, I mean this society isn’t as free as it used to be, but at least it has control!” Luna tried to smile.

“Uh-huh.. Don’t tell me you’re becoming heavily influenced by the Powered?” Storm looked at her friend.

“N-No of course not.” Luna looked away, avoiding her gaze.

“Whatever, if you are, you’re still great.” Storm patted her shoulder.

“Thanks boo. Now, brush your teeth, your breath smells HORRIBLE. It could literally kill me right now.” Luna pinched her nose and shoved Storm off.

“I was going to! But SOMEONE interrupted my walk to the bathroom.” She replied in her defense, a tint of red on her cheeks.

Glancing at the newspaper, Luna read the headline.

“No, Storm, oh my God. Please don’t tell me you’re thinking about….” Luna stared with widened eyes at Storm.
Silence.

“Why?” Luna’s voice broke.

“I can help the world. I can make it a better place, J***s, Luna! Heck, I can save lives!” Storm pointed out.
“Yeah! Says every dead man to go out The Dome. Ever!” Luna rasped. “Please don’t go, I’d lose my best friend…”

“I want to, Luna. Please support this, fear not, you won’t lose me. The past is the past, we’ve made it here, we’re safe and okay.” Storm hugged her.

“Okay…” Luna said, unconvinced.

Staring at her tired self in the mirror, Storm attempted to comb her hazel colored locks. After pulling out clumps of dead and damaged hair, she looked at her reflection.

“I look more like dad.” She chuckled quietly to herself.

Pause.

I’m Storm, and if you haven’t noticed, the Nite disease is probably more so a parasite. I’m 17. Not going to go into science, but it affects how the brain functions. It began affecting half of our population, then spread over into the animals we ate, and sooner or later lots and lots of things.

It spread really quickly, and I’m not sure quite how.

But the remaining half of society, well the ones that made it, are now retreated behind the walls of The Dome.
Society is pretty different from how it used to be. We’re broken into three categories, the Powered, the Strong, and the Common.

I am in the Strong, which is basically like police.  Luna was against me doing the dangerous part of it, either you can police, or go out The Dome. When we do go outside The Dome, we search for survivors, or we help protect and enforce whatever the Powered says.

The Powered. Geez, they’re like rich people. It’s our form of government, in the start we tried to fill it with knowledgeable and wise people. And we still do. The Powered are probably one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. Not only do they rule, they think of ways to better our society, inventing things and making great solutions.

The Common are the average, but are very important. They farm, cook, clean and even provide care for us, lots of them are doctors and farmers.

We can’t eat meat, especially since any animal we had brought in most likely had Nite.

The Nite. One of the most harshest and number rule is, kill anyone who has the Nite disease. It’s really cruel, but it’s to stop outbursts and the spread.

I agree, the Powered has made many unfair rules, but we go by it. It’s probably one of the only things that keep us sane. Oh, right! The Test. It’s a test that goes over everything you’ve learned, we learn at age 4 and take the test by 12. It decides what Category you’ll be in, and if you’re unhappy you have to wait another year to see if you can pass into a different category.

Alarms blaring, my eyes widened in alarm. A voice began to speak on the radio.

“CODE 75. THERE’S BEEN A BREACH OF NITE. I REPEAT, A BREACH OF NITE. ALL STRONG REPORT TO THE ENTRANCE GATE.”

My heart pounding, my hands shaking, I ran. Blood rushing through my vines, I was pumped with adrenaline.

Well this was for a Dystopian project, but it turned out I really liked what I had created. Inspired by anime, The 100, and The 5th Wave.