The Unexpected | Teen Ink

The Unexpected

May 22, 2019
By Anonymous

SCENE 1


Inside a bank in the metropolitan city of the Bronx. It was around noon on a Wednesday. Sunny and warm outside. Tony walks inside the bank with his wife, Amy which is right stage.


TONY

It’s finally so nice outside after that long winter we've had. I love it.


AMY

Oh my, I know! I can't wait for the summer time already!


BANKER

Hi, how are you two doing today?


TONY

We’re just great today how are you?


AMY

(Nods and smiles in agreement with Tonys statement)


BANK ER

I’m doing just fine today. Thank you. How can I help you guys?


TONY

We just need to deposit these checks and withdraw $200.


BANK ER

(Smiling) Sure no problem give me just one second.


TONY

Alright.


The bank robber runs inside the bank in all black with his face covered. He points a gun at everyone inside the bank.


ROBBER

Get out of my way! Give me all the money now! Hurry!

 

TONY

Amy get down under this table with me right now and be quiet!


Amy rushes to get under a table with her husband.


ROBBER

(Yelling) What are you doing? Give me my money! I don't have a lot of time!


BANK ER

Okay okay. Just please don't shoot me!


The bank teller rushes to grab all of the money from the safe and starts handing it to the robber.


BANKER

Here, that's everything we have.


The bank robber grabs the cash and dashes out the bank. As he is leaving the building, he shoots through the windows inside the bank for no reason. After that he gets into his getaway car and it dashes off.


Back inside the bank


AMY

Tony, what just happened oh my gosh. I can't believe it.


TONY

I know its okay, as long as the both of us are safe that's all that matters.


The police officers pull up and come inside the bank.


TONY

You guys are too late, he left in a car and went off that way. (Pointing to the right)


Two cops run out and speed off towards the direction Tony pointed in.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

(Speaking to everyone in the bank) Alright, well we will make sure you guys stay safe and get home safely.

Tony and Amy never end up getting their $200 withdrawal and they walk outside of the bank towards their vehicle. They sit inside and head on home.  


SCENE 2


TONY

I'm going to be honest Amy, for a good moment I thought you and I wouldn't make it out of that bank alive.


AMY

Me too, I don't understand why people keep on doing this. Every night on the news there's always some sort of robbery that occurred. I am sick and tired of it. We’re going to have to move Tony. I don't know how safe I feel living here anymore.


TONY

I don't know. If were going to try to have a baby soon, moving right now would not be ideal. But I guess you’re kind of right, the Bronx is not the right place to raise children in.


AMY

I’m not having children here. Period. We are going to have to move soon.


SCENE 3


Tony and Amy are back at their apartment eating lunch trying to slowly recover from what they have just experienced. All of a sudden they hear a loud knock on their door.


AMY

Tony, who is that?


TONY

I have no clue . . .


Tony walks towards the door and opens it slowly.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Hello, I am Officer Gonzalez and this is my partner Officer Miller. We have been informed that you were inside Bronx Bank at the time of a robbery earlier today. We were wondering if we could ask you some questions?


TONY

Sure come on in.


OFFICERS 1 & 2

Thanks.


The officers walk in and sit down in the living room.


OFFICER MILLER

Alright so could you and your wife walk us through what happened once you guys arrived to the bank all until the robber came and left?


TONY

Yeah I’ll start off. First of all we went to the bank to deposit some checks and withdraw some cash. We deposited the checks and were about to get our withdrawal when the robber runs into the bank pointing his gun all throughout the bank.


Amy interrupts.


AMY

And that's when he and I ducked down under a small table away from the bank tellers and the robber. I remember the robber yelling at the bank teller we had earlier to hurry up and give him all of the money and that he doesn't have a lot of time. She was so nervous that she rushed to give him all of the money and said she'll do it as long as he doesn't shoot her.


TONY

After that he got bags filled with cash and runs out of the bank. Once he got out he turned around about half way and shot probably three bullets into the bank. The windows shattered and he got into his runaway vehicle. That's the story.


OFFICER 1

Wow. Alright that's helpful information. Now could you both individually describe his appearance?


AMY

Well he was wearing all black with a black hood that only showed his eyes. He was pretty far from us but I’d say he has brown eyes. I feel that his skin is very fair toned and he looked about 6 foot. Uhhh I don't know what else I could really say about him.


TONY

Yeah Amy hit all of the points really. However he had a hole on the hood where his mouth was and it looked like he has some facial hair I’m not sure if it was just a mustache or a beard.


OFFICER 2

I think that's about all we have for you guys as of now. Thank you for your time. Could I just write down one of your phone numbers so I can reach out to you of we have any following questions.


AMY

Sure! My number is (718)-555-9062.


OFFICER 1 & 2

You two enjoy the rest of your day now. Goodbye.


SCENE 4


The robber is sitting in an interrogation room in the Bronx Jail.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Mr. Chris Jones tell me about where you were today and what you did.


CHRIS JONES

Um I woke up, ate some cereal, had my friend pick me up and we were going to just hang and do whatever. We like ended up going to this one store and played some basketball after that. My friend like dropped me off home and that's about it. Um now I’m here. Like I don't even know why.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Be real, you really don't know why you’re here? You’re not fooling anyone with that. I am going to ask you again, what exactly did you do today?


CHRIS JONES

I just told you. Can I leave now?


OFFICER GONZALEZ

It looks like you’re not going anywhere tonight.


CHRIS JONES

Are you kidding me man? Why? I ain't do nothing.

Officer Miller walks into the room.


OFFICER MILLER

The Bronx Bank released the camera footage to us. We are guaranteed that this is you that robbed that bank earlier today. Look.


Officer Miller pulls up the footage on the computer. All three of the men watch.


OFFICER MILLER

You can't tell us that it's not you. This is legit proof.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Now, are you going to keep on playing this game with us or will you own up? Your only making it worse for yourself right now if you don't admit your mistakes.


Chris Jones starts banging his head against the wall.


CHRIS JONES

Crap! Crap! Crap!


OFFICER MILLER

One more time Mr. Jones, did you rob the Bronx Bank today?


CHRIS JONES

Yes! Is that what you guys want to hear? Yes I did and I did a damn good job of doing it if you two punks never caught me.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Alright calm down now Chris. We can finally move on from here.


CHRIS JONES

What are you gonna do? Shove me in jail for a couple years?


OFFICER GONZALEZ

I’m not saying that. You’re fine you have got to calm down a little sir.


CHRIS JONES

Okay. Okay.


Chris takes a sip of water.


OFFICER MILLER

Are you better now?


CHRIS JONES

Yeah, I’m fine.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Great. Now honestly, tell us about your day today. No lying.


CHRIS JONES

Fine, so last night actually my friend and I planned to rob a bank today because tonight we owed someone money.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Wait, stop right there. Who is your friend? Who did you guys owe money to? And for what did you guys need to pay him?


CHRIS JONES

My friend is Joe?


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Joe who?


CHRIS JONES

Joe Rodd.

 

OFFICER GONZALEZ

Alright continue.


CHRIS JONES

We owed this guy named Nick money for drugs. We said we would have the money ready for him tonight.


OFFICER MILLER

If you guys owed him some money, why rob an entire bank?

 

CHRIS JONES

I don't know, why not? Who doesn't like having a lot of money?


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Okay, so what was the plan between you and Joe?


CHRIS JONES

The plan was I would run in, get the money, and run out. Joe would be waiting in a car right by the door and we would drive off as soon as possible.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

And is that what actually ended up happening?


CHRIS JONES

Yeah.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

So tell me. Why did you lie to me three times when I asked you what you did and if you robbed the bank?


CHRIS JONES

Man, I was scared. You know that.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

I know, but I told you I just want the truth.


CHRIS JONES

I don't know. I apologize Mr. Gonzalez. I shouldn't have lied.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Well at least you ended up being honest with us. That's what matters.


OFFICER MILLER

Yeah, Officer Gonzalez is right. But I do have a question to ask too. How can we find your friend Joe?


CHRIS JONES

You know I can't tell you guys that. C’mon now.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Chris . . .


CHRIS JONES

He’ll be on the corner of 2nd and Milly Street at about 10:00 tonight. He’s supposed to give Nick the money.

 

OFFICER MILLER

Great thanks.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Where is the stash of money you stole today? Do you know where Joe could have hid it?


CHRIS JONES

It’s probably in the back trunk of his car still.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Thank you Chris for cooperating with us. We’ll be back here in a couple hours to see what the next steps are from here.


CHRIS JONES

Alright. Yeah.


OFFICER MILLER

Sit tight.


Both officers leave the room.


SCENE 5


Officer Gonzalez and Officer Miller show up to 2nd and Milly Street at 9:55pm in an undercover car.


OFFICER MILLER

Oh! There he is. It’s definitely him!


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Ready? Lets go!


Officer Gonzalez and Officer Miller get out of the car and confront Joe.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Put your hands up where we can see them right now!


JOE RODD

What the?


OFFICER MILLER

You’re under arrest for participating in criminal behavior.


JOE RODD

What are you talking about? I didn't do nothing. Let me go!


OFFICER MILLER

Sir, put your hands behind your back.


JOE RODD

It was Chris wasn't it? God dammit!


OFFICER MILLER

Sir, you have the right to remain silent, anything you say can or will be used against you in the court of law. Now is there anything in your pockets I should be concerned about?


JOE RODD

It’s your job to check isn't it now check and you'll see.


The officers pull out his wallet.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Well we know why you have all of that money on you, but you have something else on you.


OFFICER MILLER

You will also be charged with possession of paraphernalia.


JOE RODD

You dirty scum bags!

 

OFFICER GONZALEZ

Alright, sit down in the back of this squad car. You are going to jail right now.


SCENE 6


Back in Amy and Tony’s apartment the same night.


AMY

Hey Tony, what do you think about Delaware? I think it's a nice place to raise a family. It always seems calm there.


TONY

Actfully, I agree, I’d be willing to check out some places in Delaware.


AMY

Ah great! Here look at this house I found. It's in a safe city and it says the schools are amazing in this district.


TONY

Wait Amy, look!


AMY

Oh my is that . . .


TONY

It is! It’s their mugshots!


AMY

Thank god they were caught. They deserve it.


TONY

Right. The officers did good with finding them so quickly.


AMY

Just because they were caught does not mean I still don't want to move out of here Tony!


TONY

Honey, I know. I all in on it with you. I am willing to make the compromise for you and our future children.


AMY

Awh, baby. Thank you. I love you so much.


TONY

I love you too.


Tony and Amy enjoy a romantic kiss on the couch.


SCENE 7


Joe and Chris are in jail cells across each other talking.


JOE RODD

You’re not real man. I thought we were brothers. You did me so dirty.


CHRIS JONES

Come on bro. They caught us. I had no other choice than to tell them what really happened. They would have found out either way.


JOE RODD

Whatever man. Just be ready for what I’m going to do to you once we get out of here. Mark my words man I will get you.


CHRIS JONES

Dude stop. I didn't do this to save myself. I did it for both of us. Trust me.


JOE RODD

Shut up you liar!


CHRIS JONES

You know what? Don’t talk to me ever again! I’m over it!


JOE RODD

Oh don't worry. My fists will be doing all of the talking soon.


CHRIS JONES

I’ll tell you right now your weak fists ain’t stronger than my guns.


Officer Miller runs to the two cells.


OFFICER MILLER

Gentlemen, what's all of this yelling about?


JOE RODD

This little garbage bag of a person just ruined my whole life. How am I not going to yell at him?


CHRIS JONES

Shut up bro! You were involved in this robbery just as much as me. It’s not my fault they caught me first!


OFFICER MILLER

Guys please. Calm down. Get some rest and we’ll have more information for you both tomorrow morning.


JOE RODD

Whatever, get out of here. I don't wanna look at you just as much as I don't want to look at that pile of garbage right across me.


OFFICER MILLER

Sit down Joe. Go to sleep.


SCENE 8


Next morning at Amy and Tony’s apartment. Amy’s phone was ringing.


AMY

Hello?


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Good morning, is this Amy?


AMY

Yes it is. Who is this?


OFFICER GONZALEZ

It’s Officer Gonzalez from the Bronx Police Department. Are you and your husband recovering from the incident?


AMY

Yes, we actually saw last night on the news that the robbers were thankfully caught.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Well . . . that's actually why I wanted to call you.


AMY

You’re scaring me, what is it officer?


OFFICER GONZALEZ

This morning both suspects were released out on bail. I am pretty sure they don't know you and your husband are affiliated with helping us. However, I thought you’d want to know just in case. As of now they are out on the streets.


AMY

Are you serious? How did they get released? Ugh!


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Their family members paid to get them out.


AMY

That's just so annoying. As soon as I start feeling a little safer, things like this happen.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Ma'am I understand how your feeling. That's normal. I hope you can get past this feeling of living with fear no matter where you go.


AMY

Yeah, well thanks anyway for reaching out to us and keeping us updated.


OFFICER GONZALEZ

Of course, you have a great day now.


AMY

Yep, you too sir, thank you.


The phone call ends.


AMY

Tony Officer Gonzalez just called me.


TONY

What did he want?


AMY

The two bank robbers we saw last night got released on bail this morning. I’m so angry.


TONY

What? Why is that even a thing? We literally could have gotten killed by him and he's just walking around the city again like nothing ever happened.


AMY

Exactly my point! Ugh!


SCENE 9


Tony is making breakfast while Amy was showering and getting ready.


AMY

Hey Tony . . .


TONY

Yeah?


AMY

Come to the bathroom.


Tony walks into the bathroom.


AMY

Look! No wonder I’ve been feeling horrible the last couple days and my emotions are all over the place with what's been going on.


Tony hugs Amy and starts tearing up.


TONY

We really need to speed up this house search. I can't believe we’re pregnant!