Coco and Tim | Teen Ink

Coco and Tim

By maxgriffin402 BRONZE, Boring, Oregon
maxgriffin402 BRONZE, Boring, Oregon

Scene 1; Monday. The Bundy’s apartment.

Coco leaves her room and enters the open living room where she sees her father laying away his life in front of the television.

COCO

Where’s my lunchbox? Dad have you seen it?

DAD

COCO

I’m running late already could you please just get up from the couch and look around?

Her dad just opens his pill bottle and popped two and drank whatever was in his water bottle.

COCO

That’s great dad just sit there for the rest of your life in front of that tv. You know I’m really attempting to make an effort here and get a degree so I could possibly earn an income and maybe help you out here. But if this is the help I get…

DAD

You know you sound just like your mom always trying to help me. Help yourself and me and just leave.

COCO

Not without my lunch!

Her father threw change at the door without his eyes leaving the television.

COCO

Thanks a lot. You know you’re the best dad any daughter could ask for.

Her dad opened up his pill bottle once more and swallowed a couple as Coco left for school.

Monday. Bundy’s apartment.

Coco enters the apartment, coming back from school. She notices her father is dead asleep with the tv still on. Coco switches the television off - leaving to her room with her back to her dad she can hear his raspy breathing up until he abruptly stops.

COCO

Dad?

No response. She’s shaking him and shaking him but nothing gets through to him.

COCO

Dad.. Please wake up! Daddy please don’t leave me I can’t get through everyday without both my parents…

Coco felt his pockets to find his phone. She starts dialing.

DAD

groans

Coco sighs with relief, puts the phone down and her arms around her dad.

COCO

No matter what you’re my dad.

Scene 2; Tuesday. Bundy’s apartment.

Tim Bundy, dad, is talking on the phone to his manager about his missing the last few days of work.

TIM

I should’ve called you’re absolutely right! I’m scheduled tomorrow evening and I can even work unpaid overtime, I can pick up extra shifts. Whatever it takes, man. I missed a couple of days, but it’s nothing I can’t make up for Fred.

FRED, over the phone

But, yet again, you failed to let us know you weren’t coming in. Brenda was covered in serving tables, I’d give her a call and say thank you. This isn’t the first time your co-workers covered your shifts, however, I’m afraid to say it will be your last, Tim. We are tired of you trying to make it up. I will mail you your last check on Friday. Good luck, Tim.

Tim hung up, dropped his phone on the couch alongside with himself. He reached for the remote, but stopped thinking about how he couldn’t afford to watch tv anymore.

TIM

If I can’t afford to live how do I afford for Coco to as well?

His mind began racing until he came to an idea he started to settle on; a foster home.

TIM

It’d be perfect. I could cut down on some utilities and Coco’s still young enough where some families would want her.

Just then Coco opens the door to apartment, coming home after a long day at school.

TIM

Good. I need to talk to you.

Coco puts her backpack and lunchbox along one of the kitchen stools and grabs a sit.

COCO

What’s up?

TIM

I...was fired. I can barely afford to live on my own, I’m sending you to go live with a nice family who’s good to you and will love you.

COCO

Dad. What’re you thinking I don’t want to leave you… I’m-I’m not leaving you, no. I can get out of school and help you pay for bills around here.

TIM

Coco, it’s not up for discussion. You are in the seventh grade, you’re not dropping out. I should be able to put food on the table without help from my child. It’s not right. You’ll live not too far from me and can see me after you get out of school and on the weekends! I want what’s best for you and that means-

Coco interrupts.

COCO

No, dad! Stop talking like this is really happening. I don’t care if I’m living on the streets with you I don’t want to lose another parent. It’s not fair.

TIM

I know. I know it isn’t fair to you that I miss work, but baby here we are and I have to deal with I did. I’m keeping this apartment with the last check I get this Friday. And you… you’ll go to school and finish and get a good career that you enjoy. That’s more than what your father can say about himself.

Coco begins to sob. Her father gets up to hug her, they embrace tightly knowing it’s the last time they’ll be living in this apartment together.

COCO

I don’t want to live with random people.

DAD

It’s healthier to than with your dad.