The Black Saloon | Teen Ink

The Black Saloon

By TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas
TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
" Balance your life with spiritual experiences that remind and prepare you for continued, daily ministering to others." - M. Russell Ballard
"Love is expressed in a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment." - Thomas S. Monson

One Act Play: The Black Saloon

[Lights fade up, MR RACK lounging in a chair talking to MR GREENWALD while MS LIGHTMARE is lightly conversing with MS JONES. JAMES BRIDGE enters the room, and all quiet conversation stops as they smile up at JAMES BRIDGE.]

JAMES BRIDGE clears his throat: Just you four I see?

MR RACK sits up in his chair: Yes, not many souls wanted to partake in our company. (he sighed) but it’s winter after all, might as well have somewhere to keep us.

[MR GREENWALD, MS LIGHTMARE, and MS JONES agree nodding]

MS LIGHTMARE: Why yes, it’s very boring outside since no one is out and about, and who would want to spend the day out there?

[JAMES BRIDGE takes off his hat and coat and sets them on the table by the door]

JAMES BRIDGE: I understand, although the townspeople is the least thing I’m concerned about.

MS JONES: Why, what’s the matter, dear?

JAMES BRIDGE takes a seat next to MR RACK: They threatened to fire me today. They called me crazy, looney! 

MR GREENWALD: Now why ever would they do that? You’re one of the smartest men I’ve met!

MR RACK scoffs and sits up straighter: What are you proposing?

MR GREENWALD: Rack, you know you’ve never been a genius. You’re not even that smart.

MR RACK: Well I-! (he paused concentrating hard) I suppose you’re right.

JAMES BRIDGE: Thanks, but the office won’t allow me back. They keep calling me an odd fellow, like that’s a bad thing.

MS LIGHTMARE: Why, that’s not a bad thing at all. I’ve been called odd too many times to count… [she strokes her fur scarf]

MS JONES: She’s right you know.

MR GREENWALD mutters: Well that’s not something you hear often.

[MS JONES glares at MR GREENWALD]

MR RACK: Our point is, it’s okay to be odd or different. That’s what makes you special, son.

JAMES BRIDGE sighs: I guess you’re right.

MS LIGHTMARE peers over to a window: You know [touches the glass] I can’t feel the cold. It’s… comforting.

MS JONES walks over and touches the glass: Hmm, that’s odd. I can’t feel the frost either.

MR RACK laughs: Maybe it’s because you ladies are cold hearted.

[No one laughs, MR RACK pretends he hasn’t said anything.]

JAMES BRIDGE walks over to the window and touches the glass: What do you mean? It’s frigid!

[MS JONES and MS LIGHTMARE stare at each other, confused]

JAMES BRIDGE: Oh! I almost forgot [pases to the other side of the room] I got a present.

[JAMES BRIDGE grabs something out of his suitcase, a mirror.]

MR GREENWALD: Why that’s a lovely frame.

JAMES BRIDGE: No, no it’s a mirror.

MR RACK: Then why can’t we see our bloody reflections?

[JAMES BRIDGE wrinkles his eyebrows and looks into the mirror only to see his reflection, not the others.]

JAMES BRIDGE: Why that’s odd...

MS JONES: James, did you forget again?

MR GREENWALD: Oh, he’s forgotten alright.

[MR RACK groans]

JAMES BRIDGE: Did I forget what?

MS LIGHTMARE: James, we’re not real.

[A flicker of the lights can been seen, eerie music, and then they’re gone, leaving JAMES BRIDGE alone in the saloon.]

So, this was originally going to be for a competition, but I was too late to enter. So, now I'm publishing this just as a separate script/short story. Enjoy!