RATS IN GODRIC'S HOLLOW | Teen Ink

RATS IN GODRIC'S HOLLOW

December 20, 2023
By Melaniaaa07 SILVER, Lake St. Louis, Missouri
Melaniaaa07 SILVER, Lake St. Louis, Missouri
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

CHARACTERS (1st Act)

Sirius Black

Peter Pettigrew

Narrator

Voldemort

Lily

Mentioned: 

Remus

James

Harry


SETTING
1981


[Three years passed since the graduation of the Marauders at Hogwarts, the place where they were born. A quartet based on friendship and mischief. From the very first day, on that wagon of the Hogwarts Express, they instantly clicked. And the complicity they had, never faded away. 

Three years passed from their last day in that magical school, their last juvenile prank, and now, because of the war, they found themselves devoured by suspicions. Suspicions that lead to bad choices. 

Bad choices leading to irreparable mistakes that will cost their future. ]


First Act (a week before Halloween)

 

PETER

Are you sure you want to do this? They choose you [emphasized]  for this role. You will go against their will.


SIRIUS

Oh stop referring to them as if they’re dead. I talked to James about it, Lily knows too. They’re fine with it. I already explained to you the reason in the letter I sent you. Did you even read it?


PETER

Of course I did. And it was incredibly risky. Voldemort is out there waiting for any sort of hint that could lead him to Harry [whispered] and you almost gave him what he’s looking for.


SIRIUS

Do you really think I would take such a risk knowing the eventual consequences. I made sure no one but you could track that letter, and even if they did, which I highly doubt, they would have found nothing. 

The charm used works like the one on the map, even though it’s not exactly the same, since…well…Remus was the one who casted it during our second year-


PETER

Exactly! Remus casted it, so he obviously knows how to break it. And I wouldn’t have a problem with it, if only you didn’t start having suspicions about him being the spy. 


SIRIUS

Are you saying that you didn’t?

You don’t suspect anyone?

Fine. You can remain the little naive boy I met on that wagon ten years ago. Now we have more important issues to talk about. Even after almost ten years no one is able to dissolve the charm or read the map except for us so there’s no need to lecture me. I’m as cautious as you and the Order. 


[Peter glances at Sirius, inviting him to continue]


SIRIUS

Voldemort is on my trail. My movements have to be calculated and discreet. That’s why we’re here. Easier to go unnoticed in a bigger crowd. However I’m afraid my irresistible charm [flipping his hair back] draws more attention than it should.


[Peter gives him a look between amusement and annoyment, before furtively glancing around]


PETER

So you can’t be the Secret Keeper anymore and I’m the only other option? 

Even though James believes we can rely on Remus, you suggested me because of your mistrust. And naturally he listened to you, didn’t he?


SIRIUS 

Yes…more or less. 

[pause]

He still trusts Remus. He’s one of the marauders. But he also trusts me and chose to listen to my advice. You’re one of the marauders too and he believes you’ll stay loyal to us like you’ve always been.  This is the reason why he doesn’t mind you taking my place as a Secret Keeper.

Voldemort  is getting closer and closer, which means the Fidelius Charm will have to be activated soon. But if we don’t want him to win we’ll need to steer his attention away from you…keep him off the scent. 

You’re going to take my place as the Secret Keeper without telling anyone, especially Remus, and Voldemort will uselessly continue to come after me. 

This will give you and the Potters more time, while me and the Order fight. 


PETER

[slightly trembling voice]

Alright let’s do this. 


SIRIUS

We knew we could count on you. 

I already discussed it with them, when we planned what to do considering both of the possible outcomes of our conversation and since it didn’t take too long for me to convince you to take my place, we’ll meet them and cast the spell immediately. 


PETER
RIght now?!


SIRIUS

Well yes. As I said, Voldemort  is after them-after all of us- so we have to take precautions as soon as we can. 


PETER

Alright. How does it work? Do we have to go to their hiding place?


SIRIUS 

Yes, they just moved there. They’re keeping a low profile. We’ll use the invisibility cloak I borrowed from James. Follow me. 


[while walking with the cloak on]


PETER

Who is going to cast the charm?


SIRIUS

Probably Lily.

Once it’s cast you three will be the only ones to know the secret. 


PETER 

Wait-wait, you mean that you won’t know where they are. 


SIRIUS 

That’s the whole point in making you the Secret Keeper instead of me, isn’t it?


PETER

But you won’t be able to see them until this is over…


SIRIUS

If that’s the only way to keep them safe I am more than willing to do it. 

If it works we’ll win this war and everything will go back to normal. 

If we’re lucky I’ll be part of Harry’s childhood too. 


[they walk in silence for a bit before Sirius speaks again]


SIRIUS

We’re close. Once we get there Lily will explain to you how it works. I’ll probably stay with James and Harry until you’re done.


PETER

In that case you’ll know what their location is-


SIRIUS

That is not going to be a problem: as soon as I step outside the perimeter that is under the spell will become inexistent to my senses or any other magical method used. 


[after a couple minutes they get to the destination and Sirius stops walking, copied by Peter right after]

 

SIRIUS

This is the house. 

Nice isn’t it? You should see it in the sunlight. It looks even better!

It belonged to James’ parents. We used to call it Potter’s cottage, when we came here sometimes. 


[Sirius unlocks the gate with a non-verbal spell and gently knocks on the door while moving the cloak to reveal the front of their bodies]


[After a few seconds Lily comes out of the front door]


LILY

You’re here!

I thought you wouldn’t come anymore. 


SIRIUS

Then you clearly underestimated my persuasive skills. It wasn’t too difficult convincing him. He’s just a slow walker. 


[turning to Peter and winking at him]


LILY

It doesn’t matter.

We have to activate the Fidelius Charm now.

Sirius, James are upstairs with Harry. I assume you want to stay with him while me and Pete take care of the spell. 


[Sirius nods and starts walking up the stairs]


LILY

Oh [remembering something], Sirius!


[Sirius turns around]


LILY

Thoughtful of you to wear the cloak. 


[Sirius smiled then climbed up the stairs disappearing from sight]


LILY

[to Peter]

I believe you already know overall how this works, right?


PETER

I just know it’s used to hide things or places…or secrets, by using someone to house the secret. 


LILY

Exactly. Neither me or James can be the Secret Keeper, otherwise the spell wouldn’t work.


PETER

Why?


LILY

If we hide our location and remain the only ones to know, the spell would be unbreakable, since neither of us would be able to divulge the secret, not even if we wanted to.

And from what I’ve learned there must be a way to break it, excluding the caster’s death, to make it work.

Hence another person has to be involved, the Secret Keeper: you. 


After casting the charm, our location, the secret, will be concealed inside your soul, making it invisible, intangible, unplottable and soundproof; in simple terms no one, not even Voldemort himself, would be able to find it unless you voluntarily tell them. Any method of magical coercion can’t break the charm.


On the other hand, any other person informed of the secret would not be able to pass it along even if they wanted to. 

PETER

That means-


LILY

Yes. Sirius can know: as long as he’s not the Secret Keeper, he’ll have no power over the divulgation of it. 

We trust you not to tell anyone else, of course. Nobody besides us four can know. 


PETER

I won’t. I’m your friend after all. 


[Lily smiles] 


LILY

Let’s get this done then, shall we?


[Lily casts the charm and conceals the secret inside Peter’s soul. The process takes a couple minutes]


PETER

Did it work?


LILY

We did everything correctly, so I assume it did. 


[indistinct voices from upstairs]


LILY

Sirius is probably going to stay here longer. Would you like to join us? Maybe help us put up more Halloween decorations. 


PETER

[soliloquy/thoughts]

I really should go home and refer everything to the Dark Lord. 

But that would definitely arouse suspicion…

I should hang out with them a bit more. 

It’s for the mission’s sake. 


PETER

Sure, why not. 


[they all spend some more time together, chatting and playing with Harry]


[Peter looks at the clock and realizes it’s getting late]


PETER

I’d better go home now, it’s getting late.


SIRIUS

I’ll come with you. Harry probably wants to sleep anyway. We’ll let you rest. 


[they got up and said goodbye to the couple, before leaving the house] 


SIRIUS 

The spell worked, didn’t it?

I can’t remember where they are anymore. 


PETER

[whispering in Sirius’ ear]

They’re here, in Godric’s Hollow, in the Cottage that belongs to James’ family.


SIRIUS
[pushing Peter away]

What are you doing? 

Why are you telling me?

All we did was useless. 


PETER

Calm down, you can’t tell anyone. Not even under torture. Not even if you want to. I am the Keeper: the only one who can divulge the secret. No need to worry. 


SIRIUS
Are you sure?


PETER

Positive. Lily told me. I would never doubt her. 


SIRIUS

Alright then. 


[pause]


Thank you Pete for accepting. 

We have to part ways now. See you…

soon. Hopefully we’ll have another meeting with the Order and come up with a plan. 

We’ll defeat him.


[Peter nods]

NARRATOR

[They part ways, with Sirius believing he fooled the Dark Lord and got rid of his spy. Little did he know that the spy was right before his eyes. Nucleus of a plan doomed to fail. 


PETER

[soliloquy]

I need to call the Dark Lord.

I need to call him and refer him to the fortunate news. 

He doesn’t know about the letter. He was not aware of the possibility that me and Sirius could switch roles. If it didn’t end up being true, or if Padfoot (Sirius) changed his mind last minute, I’d be a dead man already. But it surprisingly went smoothly without a hitch. 

Now that I am the Secret Keeper everything will be easier.

We just need to make it look like he (Voldemort)  believed the bluff. 

Meanwhile he’ll elaborate a plan and everything will be over. 

I can’t wait for it to be over. 

Living like this is terrifying and dangerous. I can’t even speak freely without being afraid that someone from the Order, a Death Eater or even Voldemort himself hears me. 

I just need to keep a low profile. 


[little voice in his head] Like you’ve always done.


Yes, like I’ve always done. At least now it’s coming to a good use huh…

Being insignificant and replaceable. 


What did you expect? You should have known from the first moment you started hanging out with them. You’re different from them, no talent, no worth. But they were kind enough to let you stick around. 


At least now I have someone who appreciates what I’m doing. And will be even more grateful once the mission will be concluded successfully.


What if you fail?


I won’t. 


Confident, aren’t you? Where’s all your cowardice? Even if you succeed there’s a good chance he kills you right after. Use your brain for once! Run away or hide.


He would find me. I can’t even ask the Order for help without telling the truth. 

For them I have no reason to hide. They think such a powerful wizard could never notice someone like me. But he did once I joined him. And I’ll prove to them that they made a big mistake underestimating me. 


Sure you will. Going against your nature, rat.


NARRATOR

Peter continued to walk in the streets filled with skeletons, pumpkins and Halloween decorations, not listening to the voice in his head, or replying; not that he would actually know, since the conversation was happening inside his head. After a while he reached the apartment he rented nearby and contacted the Dark Lord


[Peter pressing his finger on the dark mark and biting his tongue not to scream in pain]


NARRATOR

A few minutes passed, before a strong gust of wind blew into the room, slamming the window open. The curtains billowed in the breeze, announcing Voldemort’s imminent arrival. A shiver ran through Peter’s spine, bristling the hair on his neck as he realized he should have waited. He should have thought this through. What was he going to say? How was Voldemort going to react when he found out about the Sirius letter. About the possibility of changing the Secret Keeper being considered before a final decision was made. About the meeting between the two old friends. And this possibility as well as the encounter being held out on him. But on the other hand the Dark Lord doesn’t like waiting. 


PETER

[monologue/thoughts]

If things go the right way, there will be no bad consequences for me…maybe he’ll even compliment my work]


NARRATOR

[In either case, there was no time left to overthink it]


[apparition sound and snake hissing]


VOLDEMORT

Is there a plausible reason behind your call, Wormtail? Do you have something new to tell me about the boy or anything else related to him? In that case you’d better start talking now, otherwise you just wasted my precious time-


PETER

Yes! Yes, it’s about him. Well not directly. It’s about the Secret Keeper. It changed. I am covering that role now. I met Sirius, we talked and agreed to the switch. Nobody knows except for him, me, James and Lily…and now you, my lord. Not even Remus, because-, because Sirius thinks HE is the spy. Now I know where they are. I know their location. I followed your orders. And- and they don’t even suspect me. 


VOLDEMORT

Of course they don’t. How could they suspect you, Wormtail [emphasis on the name]? Scared rat. They gave you that nickname after all, didn’t they?

Now, tell me where they are. 


PETER

They’re in Godric’s Hollow. 


VOLDEMORT

Well done Wormtail. We’ll go there soon.

 

PETER

I- I have to go with you?


VOLDEMORT

Naturally. You have to show me the house. Besides, who do you think will be the one to knock on their front door? They’ll have to know who the traitor was.

You’ll get to see the look on their faces once they discover their friend betrayed them, joining me in my mission and breaking the spell, voluntarily telling me their location, just to save yourself. Especially James’ reaction, your childhood best friend. One of…[trying to remember]the marauders, is that how you called yourselves?

They could never imagine the surprise waiting for them on Halloween’s night. Terrifying indeed.


[pause]


Anything else you’d like to tell me, wormtail?


PETER

No, My Lord, that’s all. 


[he bows]


VOLDEMORT

I’ll return  to my duties then. Be prepared for the plan. 


[disapparition sound]


PETER

[soliloquy]

He didn’t ask for further details about the encounter and the spell, that’s promising. I’m not dead yet. Maybe he won’t kill me, knowing that he can count on me. He’s the most powerful wizard alive…as long as I’m under his protection, there’ll be no harm. I just have to be a good follower and obey. 

Next week is a test: he doesn't need me to announce his arrival or distract them. 

No.

He just wants to see how far I can go. 

And I will prove that he can rely on me. Showing no hesitation. Once I achieve that, if I’m lucky, I’ll be under his wing. Perhaps even his right-hand man. 

This will be the most important task. 

I just have to complete it. 

It won’t be that hard.