“ELIVATED” {Definition: To be stuck in an elevator} | Teen Ink

“ELIVATED” {Definition: To be stuck in an elevator}

August 14, 2013
By ChristineK GOLD, SLC, Utah
ChristineK GOLD, SLC, Utah
17 articles 3 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
“So the future seemed
To mingle with the past. For a short space
I saw revealed to the doubt the threads that bind
This little speck of time we call “To-day”
To the great cycle of unending life
That has been and that shall be evermore.”
-Tours


CHARACTERS
A (Gregor): The eldest brother
B (Francis): The youngest brother
C (Scarlet): A stranger in relation to the brothers







PLACE
AN ELEVATOR. ON SET, THE ELEVATOR IS MERELY A SKELETON WITH A SIMPLE RAIL ACROSS THE CIELING TO SUPPORT LIGHTING. ON TOP OF THE ELEVATOR IS A PLATFORM THAT REPRESTENTS THE TOP OF THE ELEVATOR/ELEVATOR TUNNEL. THE ELEVTOR IS IN A BRITISH HOTEL.






TIME
ANY DECADE BETWEEN THE NINTEEN-THIRTIES AND THE MODERN ERA WOULD WORK.













“ELIVATED”
{DEFINTION: “TO BE STUCK IN AN ELEVATOR”}
BEFORE THE CURTAIN:
BEFORE THE CURTAINS OPEN, MUSIC FROM THE TIME PERIOD WILL BE PLAYING (A POPULAR SONG FROM THE TIME PERIOD).
LIGHTS:
BEFORE THE CURTAIN OPENS, THE LIGHTS SHOULD SIMPLY BE ON THEIR DIIMMEST SETTING. OR, THERE COULD BE A PROJECTER PROJECTING THE IMAGE OF A HOTEL ONTO THE CURTAIN.
AT THE CURTAIN:
THE MUSIC SHOULD FADE-OUT WHEN THE CURTAIN OPENS. THE SET WEILL BE SET.
LIGHTS:
THE LIGHTS WILL BRIGHTEN. THE LIGHTS SHOULD HAVE A MORNING GLOW-TO REPRESENT MORNING.
GREGOR- IS DRESSED IN BUSINESS ATTIRE-LOOSENED TIE/SOMEWHAT FLUSTERED-IS WAITING FOR THE ELEVATOR. HE LOOKS DOWN AT HIS WATCH. TWO PEOPLE ARE IN THE ELEVATOR, LOOKING UPWARD TO REPRESENT THE ELEVATOR’S MOVEMENT. THE ELEVATOR RINGS (SOUND AFFECT), AND GREGOR BARELY WAITS FOR THE PEOPLE TO GET-OUT BEFORE HE GOES IN.
SCARLET- ENTERS, DRESSED VERY FASHIONABLY AND MOVING WITH FLUSTERED MOVEMENTS. SHE RUNS INTO THE TWO PEOPLE AND APOLOGIZES POLITELY BEFORE RUNNING INTO THE ELEVATOR. GREGOR SHUFFLES TO THE FURTHEST CORNER UPON HE ENTRANCE IGNORING SCARLET’S POLITE HELLO/SMILE.

FRANCIS- CLUMSILY DASHES ON STAGE, DRESSED IN SWIMMING TRUNKS, AN UNTIED BATHROBE, SLIPPERS, A TOWEL UNDER HIS ARM, SUNGLASSES, AND DRESS SHOES WITH KNEE-HIGH SOCKS.

SCENE I







FRANCIS
Wait! Oh, wait! Hold the elevator door will you? (says anxiously, almost dropping his towel as he leaps into the elevator. Scarlet reaches out her hand and puts it where the elevator door would be).

SCARLET
Oh yes, of course!

FRANCIS
Thank you! Thank you! I was worried that I would miss it, (regards Scarlet and her beauty-his mouth slightly drops. He quickly checks himself and raises his chin into the air), You see, I am on a tight schedule. I need to begin my aerobic exercises. You know, water exercises. I need to start them at least by eight-thirty. I am very athletically oriented you see.

[The elevator doors close and the elevator jolts to a start, via sound affect. They all look down or up briefly, to represent elevator movement.]

SCARLET
Oh. How lovely. I am on quite the tight schedule as well.


FRANCIS
Really? I would not expect a woman by the looks of you to be busy-(pauses as he takes note of Gregor-Scarlet looks very annoyed by Francis’s comment), Gregor? Brother is that you? (says, taking off his sunglasses and placing them in his robe pocket or swimming trunks), Why Gregor! It is you! Gregor my brother! How delighted I am to see you!

GREGOR
Hello Francis, (says stiffly, avoiding eye contact with his brother).

FRANCIS
Oh brother! It has been too long! I would embrace you, but you know how I don’t like coming into physical contact with anyone. Bacteria you know, it spreads by physical contact. Why Gregor, it has just been too long!

GREGOR
Yes. It has been very long.

SCARLET
Oh, a family reunion! So you two are brothers? (Scarlet says inspecting the two men on either side of her, somewhat confused on their lack of brotherly affection).

FRANCIS
Why yes! Indeed we are. I obviously have the looks in the fam-
[Francis is stopped mid-sentence by a deafening screech. The elevator jolts and the elevator lights flicker. A crash sounds, and with horrified expressions, Scarlet slides into Francis. Francis then almost slides into Gregor, who hurriedly steps out of the way. There is another jolt and Scarlet is sent forward and the boys are sent backward. Scarlet yelps.]



SCARLET
What was that? (Scarlet gasps with horror as the elevator lights go out-the dim stage lights dim more so).

FRANCIS
I…I think…I think we’re….we’re, (he gulps loudly, whilst dabbing his face with his towel).

GREGOR
We are stuck (Gregor finishes Francis sentence, in a dark tone).

SCARLET
No. No. No. No! We are not stuck. I have a fashion runway to orchestrate in- (is interrupted by a deep wail from Francis).

FRANCIS
This is actually happening! No! It can’t be! This is the perfect spot and situation for bacteria to grow! Close proximity! Darkness! Everything! No! Gregor! Gregor! Pleeeaaassseee! You must find us a way out! I must get out now Gregor! Oh Gregor! Please! (Francis throws himself at Gregor’s feet, but does not touch them).

GREGOR
(Somewhat disgusted, simply looks down at his brother with indifference).

SCARLET
(To herself as Francis wails more, repeating what he said above) I must stay calm. Calm. Cool. Collected. Calm. Cool. Collected, (then to Gregor, Francis stops briefly as Scarlet talks) Alright, I suggest that we find a way out or at least a way of informing someone of our predicament.


GREGOR
(Very annoyed by Francis’s whimpering, steps from Francis‘s figure, and begins to look around the elevator).

SCARLET
(Watches Gregor with interest) Here let me help you.

GREGOR
I am looking for a manual or bell of some sort. Most elevators have some sort of instruction or alarm system for when this happens.

SCARLET
(Stepping over a crying Francis) Oh, I see.

GREGOR
Here. Here it is, (Gregor opens a small compartment that is in the floor and pulls out a small booklet).

FRANCIS
Help! Have you found help? Oh lordy, lordy Gregor! Please tell me you have found help! You are a saint brother! (throws himself at Gregor’s feet again).

SCARLET
(Exchanges an annoyed glance with Gregor), What does it say?

GREGOR
(Squats down and reads through the small booklet. He mouths the words as he reads diligently).

FRANCIS
(Suddenly quiet), Shush, he is reading.

SCARLET
Oh. Right. (Sits down).
[There is a moment of silence.]
FRANCIS
I just can’t believe it! No! Why us? Why us? (Cries violently).
[END of scene I. Lights out]

SCENE II
[Lights fade on and Francis and Scarlet are assisting Gregor through the ceiling door. Francis cringes and cries as they lift Gregor, their hands supporting Gregor’s feet.]

GREGOR
A little higher (Francis and Scarlet take a deep breath and lift with all they have got), There. Good. Thank you.
[Gregor has “exited” the scene via the ceiling door. Scarlet and Francis are left in the elevator.]

FRANCIS
Oh me! Lordy! Lordy! I don’t know if I can do this. The bacterium! I can feel them! If only I were doing my water exercises!

SCARLET
(Very annoyed), You know that water is full of bacteria right? Swimming with it. In fact, the worst times of bacteria could probably be found.

FRANCIS
Oh, I am well aware. That is why I paid the pool services to refill the pool for my arrival and to reserve for me from the hours between eight-thirty and noon.

SCARLET
You did not! (very amazed/profound).

FRANCIS
(Very proudly) Indeed, indeed I did!

SCARLET
Interesting, (says tiredly with a sigh, falls to the ground, closes her eyes, and presses her hand against her forehead).

FRANCIS
(Looks at Scarlet with a sense of pity and admiration, then creeps towards her. He bends down and stretches his arm towards her. Gently, he pokes her nose, than wipes his finger aggressively on his robe).

SCARLET
What are you doing? (she says with alarm and leaps to her feet).

FRANCIS
I was making sure you were alright. Gregor is just so heavy, too heavy for a girl like you to lift.




SCARLET
(Angrily eyes Francis then coldly replies) I, am fine. Thank you very much. I am not the one you should be concerned about. We just sent your brother into a pitch-black tunnel filled with who-knows-what. Probably lots and lots of bacteria.

FRANCIS
Oh dear me. Lordy, lordy. I am afraid you have a very valid point. Oh my poor brother. I do not pity him. Poor Gregory. I will call to him, (takes a deep, with-drawn breath then shouts), Brother! Gregor! Are you alright?!

[There is a brief silence, the sound of someone tinkering with wires and metal can be heard.]
SCARLET
Ask if he needs help.

FRANCIS
(With an annoyed glare) Do you need help brother? Gregor! Do you need help? Is it not dark up there?

GREGOR
(Faintly heard) I am fine.

SCARLET
You’re brother isn’t a very talkative one is he? Very independent is he not?

FRANCIS
Oh, you may think of him as you wish, but I think him very selfish. Selfish, arrogant, conceited, all of those kind of things you see. He is so very jealous of me, and my successes. He only dreams of becoming me. He hates the world and everybody in it.

SCARLET
(Eyes Francis and raises her eyebrow and crosses her arms with disbelief and then sits back down), Oh, really?

FRANCIS
I am the brains and money-maker of the family. You see, I started my own soliciting business called Francis and David. David is not my partner, he is my alternate self. I started it up all on my own and Gregor is simply keeping the family business, (Francis sits across from Scarlet).

SCARLET
Francis and David? Didn’t they just lose that case that involved some international American fabric corporation? Wasn’t the case worth five-million- American dollars? The head of the fashion organization I work for, husband was involved in it.

FRANCIS
It was a case well fought, (responding very defensively), and they cheated, those pathetic tossers. Those twits. I never get enough credit for all of my hard work and efforts.

SCARLET
I thought Francis and David was the one that tried cheating?

FRANCIS
What must be done must be done! (he is very offended and begins to pout).

SCARLET
Cheating is not the way things should be done.



FRANCIS
Well if you know everything maybe you should just go and join Gregor up there. You two can have a know-it-all party. I thought you very attractive you know, until now. Now I am plainly insulted. Women should keep their opinions to their own populace!

SCARLET
How-you-dare-how-dare…ugh! You have no right to be judging my status or my gender! If anyone as the right to be offended it is me. Most definitely not you, (Scarlet moves her mouth as if to say more, but holds her tongue).

FRANCIS
(Sticks-out his tongue and then puts on his sunglasses).


[There is a moments of silence. The silence is soon interrupted by Francis’s snoring. Scarlet checks to see if Francis is really asleep and then uses his shoulders to help herself up the ceiling-escape door. She calls for Gregor, who after a moment of consideration, comes to her aide and helps her out of the elevator. The lights brighten and the elevator light-s flicker off. Francis is technically off stage, as the focus centers on Gregor and Scarlet.]

SCENE III

[Gregor helps Scarlet up and then goes back to his tinkering-pantomiming that he is playing with cords and switches of sorts. The booklet is tucked under his arm.]

GREGOR
I can’t seem to find the right alarm switch.

SCARLET
Have you tried pulling any? (walking to Gregor’s side. They are facing the audience).
GREGOR
(Eyes her admiringly as she looks at the wall switches, then shuffles further from her proximity), No. The manual says not to play with the switches. The alarm one is red, but this orange, and this one is off red. Maroon perhaps?

SCARLET
Oh my, a man who actually knows his colors! (Scarlet says somewhat flirtatiously).

GREOGOR
Yes. Only because I was engaged to an interior designer once.

SCARLET
Once?

GREGOR
Yes. Once.

SCARLET
Would you care to elaborate?

GREGOR
No. I haven’t talked about it for years and today is not the day.

SCARLET
You can’t just hold it in. Bottling things up makes you unapproachable and anti-social after a while.


GREGOR
(Opens his mouth as if to say something, stops what he is doing, then eyes Scarlet curiously) …Are you implying…? (Loses his voice).

SCARLET
(In a friendly voice) That you are unapproachable and come off as an anti-social mess? Yes. Yes a bit, (she says this leaning towards him, and then slipping the manual from his arms grip. He is taken aback. Scarlet laughs), Now let’s figure this out.

GREGOR
(Opens his mouth again, but can’t find any words and let’s Scarlet have her way with great inner-protest).

SCARLET
(After skimming through the manual) Hmm, well you are right about the switches. I guess the only way to find out his to pull one and see what happens (she puts down the manual and reaches for a switch before Gregor can stop her).
[Scarlet pulls the switch. Gregor panics and tries to stop her, but fails. He puts his face in his palm, waiting for something to happen. Suddenly a yelp is heard and the sound of a ceiling-sprinkler spraying water is heard from below. Francis wails and panics from below, screaming obscenities to the invisible bacterium around him. Gregor smiles and Scarlet begins to roar with laughter. Gregor turns the switch off].
Serves him right! Not to be rude, but your brother is a conceited mess. Just a mess, and very judgmental.

GREGOR
(He only nods in agreement).

SCARLET
He told me that you run the family business?

GREGOR
I do.

SCARLET
What is it called? What type of business?

GREGOR
The Corporate Auto and Engine Company of Great Britain.

SCARLET
(Her jaw drops and she quickly covers her mouth), THE Corporate A&E Company? The international-economic-power?

GREGOR
(Very humbly) Yes.

SCARLET
You are THE Gregor? The third richest man in all of Britain?

GREGOR
Yes. It is my obligation to my father, and since I am the oldest, I had to assume the title.
[There is a brief silence of awe.]
SCARLET
Your brother is a dimwit. I hope you know that.


GREGOR
I am glad you agree. Many don’t realize, but what makes you say that?

SCARLET
He belittles you.

GREGOR
Yes, but I do not mind.

SCARLET
You should. Your company has never prospered so well until the past ten years, or so I have heard.

GREGOR
That is true.
[There is another brief silence, Gregor and Scarlet stare each other. Scarlet smiles, making Gregor turn his head.]
I guess the off-red must be the red switch, (Gregor pulls the switch and then smiles at Scarlet. A faint buzzing can be heard-like an electrical current-and then a distant alarm goes off for five seconds. A red light flashes dimly above them).

SCARLET
You see, you have to read manuals with a grain of salt.

GREGOR
You are right, (he says kindly and then sits down), I guess we have to wait now.


SCARLET
(Sits down next to Gregor. Gregor scoots an arms-length away from Scarlet. Scarlet shakes her head). This interior designer must have really hurt you.

GREGOR
Why do you say that?

SCARLET
(Simply stares at Gregor knowingly. Gregor smiles and then frowns, bowing his head and suddenly becoming very interested in his hands).

GREGOR
She did. She left me for my best friend; he was my friend through-out university. He is also the second richest man in The United States. He was American. So you can see where I stood from.

SCARLET
I am so sorry, (Scarlet says pitifully, scooting next to Gregor. Gregor hesitates, but does not move).

GREGOR
It happens.

SCARLET
You’re right, it does. Sometimes the only thing left to do is move on. I have been there before too. So have many others.



GREGOR
(Looks up at Scarlet and after a moment of caution, touches the side of Scarlet’s cheek and pushes a strand of hair behind her ear. Scarlet smiles), That is true.

FRANCIS
Gregor! Brother! Are you well? And you, the other one, is everything alright? I really need to get my exercises done soon! The pool will open for others to use within the next two hours!

SCARLET
Oh dear, well, the fashion show must be almost over. Well, they will have to understand. It’s this hotel’s fault I got stuck in there with a lunatic and hermit in the making, (she says playfully. Gregor smiles.)

[Gregor is about to respond, but suddenly a bright light beams down. Men’s voices can be heard. Commands to safely renter the elevator and shut the escape-door are shouted down.]

GREGOR
(Begins to help Scarlet back down the escape door, and before letting go of her hand asks), What is your name? I don’t think we introduced each other…properly.

SCARLET
Scarlet. My name is Scarlet, (she smiles and then is carefully set down by Francis, who is seen wiping his body vigorously with his towel in the dark).

GREGOR
(Nods his head, smiles and jumps down through the escape door).





[Light outs. Curtain closes. End of play.]