Bold, brave and beaten 2 | Teen Ink

Bold, brave and beaten 2

December 12, 2013
By Anonymous

INT. BRADY'S HOUSE — MORNING

Brady and Emmie are downstairs cooking breakfast.

Emma is sleeping upstairs in the guest room, when the alarm on her phone goes off. She awakes quickly.

EMMA
(Screaming)
It wasn't me!

She gasps. She begins to laugh because she realizes how much of a fool she looks like.

Brady sprints up the stairs. He enters her room.

BRADY
Are you okay? I heard a scream. Is everything alright?

EMMA
Yes... I'm sorry—— (She pauses and then giggles.) I was having a bad dream. Then, my alarm went off and I thought it was—— I thought it was——

BRADY
You thought it was what?

EMMA
(Quietly)
Geoff.

BRADY
Oh, Lord. This thing needs to come to an end.

EMMA
I just don't have a plan, you know. I —— I don't have a clue in the world of what I'm supposed to do. I mean, he cannot dictate my life. At least, I'm not going to let him.


BRADY
You're exactly right! In fact... I know just what we're gonna do to solve this whole thing once and for all.

EMMA
What? What is it?

Right as Brady begins telling Emma what his plan is, Emmie barges into the room. She has on a yellow, fluffy dress and placed on her head is a diamond tiara.

EMMIE
Emma, would you like to come and play princess fashion show with me? You'll be the princess, and I'll be the judge!

Emma quickly nods her head.

EMMA
That sounds wonderful, Emmie! Go downstairs and set up the red carpet, and I'll meet you down there in a couple of minutes.

EMMIE
Okay! I'm really exited! See ya in a sec, Princess Emm.

Emmie happily skips out of the room, closing the door behind her.

EMMA
So what were you saying, something about a plan?

BRADY
Yeah. Okay, so remember in high school how I always used to randomly disappear, and whenever you asked me where I was going, I told you that I was going to piano lessons?

EMMA
Oh, trust me, I remember it clearly! You were such a nerd!

They chuckled and Brady jokingly nudged Emma.

BRADY
Well, the truth is, I was going to karate lessons that my parents made me take, just incase I got kidnapped or some kind of nonsense.

EMMA
(cracking up)
What?! ... What?! ... Is this for real? (she leaned over to laugh more)

BRADY
Yep... that's my parents for ya.

EMMA
(still laughing)
Oh yeah! I could totally see Bob and Darla doing such a crazy thing.

BRADY
So, my point is, I could teach you how to fight. I still remember everything you need to know. It may have been over ten years ago that I took the classes, but I have a pretty good memory of what I learned.

EMMA
(Side - smiling)
Okay, Mr. McCoy, teach me.

Emma and Brady exit the room. They walk down the stairs to see Emmie setting up the princess fashion show.



EMMA
Alrighty, cutes, I'm ready for my fashion show!

EMMIE
Yay!

EMMA
What do you want me to do?

EMMIE
Okay, so you're gonna go into the basement and get dressed while I introduce all of the judges, and then when I call your name, that's your cue to come out and strike a pose.

EMMA
Okay honey! I'll be waiting down here for you to call my name.

Emma walks into the basement. Emmie is "talking to the judges." Brady is sitting on the couch, about to witness the show.

Emmie turns to her dad.

EMMIE
Dad?

BRADY
Yes sweetheart?

EMMIE
Your job is to be the audience, so you will laugh at anything and everything I say, okay?

BRADY
(Chuckling)
Okay.

Emmie walks over to her "judge seat."



EMMIE
Welcome to "The Princess Runway." Joining you today is our host, Emmie McCoy.

Emmie glances at her dad. He claps.

EMMIE
And, now presenting, Princess Emma! Come out wherever you are, darling.

From the basement door, Emma slowly opens the door, entering the living room.

EMMIE
Welcome! Welcome!

Looking confused, Emma stands right in the center of the den.

EMMIE
So, Princess Emma, how is the royal life?

EMMA
(Acting like royalty)
Well, it's quite charming, actually. What can I say, I love it! I get absolutely everything, and no one hates me! I'm just living the life of, well, a Princess! Hahaha!

Emmie, Emma, and Brady played "Princess Runway" until Emmie finally got tired of it.

FLASH FORWARD —— THE NEXT DAY.

INT. GEOFF'S HOME —— MORNING

Geoff is loading ammunition into a backpack. Lying on the side of his bed is a black, ninja-like, suit. He is on the phone with an employee from Academy Sports.




GEOFF
Hello. Can you connect me to the hunting department please... Thank you.

As Geoff is waiting, he leans over, and begins to scream in pain.

GEOFF
AHH! OUCH!

He drops the phone and falls to the floor. He is having a seizure.

About a minute later, a woman walks into his room. It's his mother. She falls on her knees and starts weeping.

GEOFF'S MOTHER
Oh my God! Geoff?! Geoff?! Wake up! Geoff?!

She grabs the phone laying next to Geoff and calls 9.1.1.

GEOFF'S MOTHER
Please, someone help me! I walked into the room and my son was just lying here on the floor, not moving at all! I don't know what's wrong with him! You need to help me!

VOICE IN PHONE
Ma'am, you need to stay calm. Please, stay calm. Is he conscious?

His mom puts her head right next to his heart. She cries again.

GEOFF'S MOTHER
NO! He's not breathing! Oh my God! My baby! Why, Lord! Why?!

She throws the phone on the ground and lies next to him, still bawling.

VOICE IN PHONE
Ma'am, you need to perform CPR until we arrive. We will be there shortly, but please perform CPR; he can still be saved.

Not hearing the police officer, she gets up and digs into Geoff's backpack. She picks up a gun, injects a bullet into it, and quickly pulls the trigger.

Lying on the floor, are Geoff and his mother, dead.

FLASH FORWARD —— TEN MINUTES.

The ambulance has just arrived at Geoff's house. They rush into Geoff's bedroom and spot him and his mother, not breathing.

Geoff and his mother are bagged and put into a car. Their family members are contacted.

INT. BRADY'S HOUSE —— MORNING

Brady and Emma are practicing karate.

EMMA
Haiiiya!

BRADY
Wow Emms! You're gettin' pretty good! I bet in a week or so, you'll be better than me!

EMMA
Nah! I'm okay!

BRADY
Okay, so when it comes time for you to fight back, you need to put in all your effort and body weight when you punch and kick him.

EMMA
Got it. I wonder——

Emma is interrupted by the ringing of her phone. She quickly stops what she's doing and runs to see who is calling her.

EMMA
What the heck.

BRADY
Well... Who is it?

EMMA
The Police Station back in Abita Springs.

BRADY
Emma, you have to answer it. Come on, it could be for real.

EMMA
Hello?

VOICE IN PHONE
Hi, this is the Abita Springs Police Department. Is this Emma Longings?

EMMA
Yes, it is. Is something wrong?

VOICE IN PHONE
I'm sorry, Mrs. Longings, it was too late.

EMMA
Too late for what? What? What's going on here?

VOICE IN PHONE
Your husband, he had a severe seizure about twenty minutes ago. We tried saving him for as long as we possibly could, but there was no hope.

EMMA
(Crying of happiness)
Oh my goodness! Is he dead?


VOICE IN PHONE
I'm afraid so, ma'am. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Emma hung up the phone and ran over to Brady. She was so happy, yet sad at the same time. She gave him a big hug and explained to him what happened.

BRADY
Emma?

EMMA
Yes?

BRADY
Even though you are free to go live your life normally now, you don't have to leave, you know. I— I— I enjoy having you here, and I don't want you to leave. You know, after Emmie's mother died, I thought it was the end of the world, I thought I would never get back on my feet. But, I knew I had to, because I was a father, and Emmie has definitely helped me to be a better dad and person. When I saw your name calling me on my cellphone, I thought I was hallucinating. I've known you forever, and I don't know what I'd do if I lost you. But every time you walked out of my front door, whether it was when we were twelve, or when we were eighteen, I was afraid that you would never return, and five years ago, you didn't, so please, do not make me regret letting you come and stay with us. Emma, I love you. Please, just don't leave——

Without hesitating, Emma threw herself at Brady. They kiss.



EMMA
I was hoping you would say that. And for the record, I would never leave you, and... I love you too, Brady McCoy.

FLASH FORWARD —— FIVE YEARS

INT. CHRISTIAN CHURCH —— NIGHT

The guests stand up and turn around towards the back of the church. Suddenly, the church doors open wide, and entering, is Emma, in a beautiful, white, beaded, dress. She walks down the aisle, with a huge smile on her face. Standing at the altar, is the pastor, Brady, and the flower girl, Emmie.

Emma reaches the altar, and her eyes begin to tear up. She was so happy!

FLASH FORWARD —— TEN MINUTES LATER

PASTOR MIKE
So, Brady Andrew McCoy, do you take the lovely Emma Tomlinson to be your beloved wife?

BRADY
I do.

PASTOR MIKE
And Emma Kate Tomlinson, do you take Brady McCoy to be your beloved husband?

EMMA
I do.

PASTOR MIKE
Ladies and gentlemen, I now pronounce this couple husband and wife!

Emma and Brady kiss. They then walk down the aisle. By their facial expressions, Emma and Brady look as happy as they have ever been.
THE END