Amber:the money thief | Teen Ink

Amber:the money thief

January 12, 2014
By Taylor96 SILVER, Greensboro, North Carolina
Taylor96 SILVER, Greensboro, North Carolina
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Amber: The Money Thief (Cameran and Sam are leaving basketball practice. Sam drops her wallet on the way to the car and Amber picks it up. Cameran and Sam are in the car on the way home.) Sam: I’m so tired; as soon as I get home I’m taking a shower then going straight to bed. Cameran: Yeah, practice is killing me. I wonder why coach is running us so hard. He wasn’t like this last year. Sam: Mayybee it’s because we only won two games last year. We sucked. Cameran: That’s true, but we have way better players this year. We won’t have to work as hard. Sam: Yeah, I guess. (Pause) Hey Cam, have you seen my wallet? Cameran: Nope, I don’t think so. What does it look like? Sam: It’s blue with little brown puppies on it. It has a zipper. Cameran: No I haven’t seen it. I’ll keep my eyes open. Maybe you left it at home or in your locker at school. Sam: No, I had it at practice remember? I went to the vending machine and bought some Gatorade right before practice. Cameran: Oh yeah, well I hope there wasn’t anything valuable in it. Sam: My license, social security card, insurance card, and $1,000 cash were all in my wallet. Cameran: One thousand dollars! Why would you keep that kind of money on you Sam? That’s gone for sure! Sam: Me and my dad were supposed to go put a down payment on m car this afternoon and I had the money stashed in my dresser at my mom’s house. He said we weren’t going way across town to get the money so I had to bring it with me. Cameran: Don’t you have a bank account? Sam: No, my mom’s too lazy to take me to open one. Cameran: Well, with that kind of money it sounds like you need a bank account to keep it in a safe place. Sam: Yeah, you’re right. I’m gonna’ go look for it. See you on Monday. Cameran: Okay, I’ll be looking out for your wallet. I’ll bring it over if I find it. Sam: Thanks. (At school on Monday, Amber is showing off her brand new IPhone 5s and IPad) Cameran: Hey Amber, can I see you IPad, I’m thinking about buying one. Amber: Sure, go ahead. I’ve only had it since Saturday so I haven’t had that much time to download stuff on it. Cameran: Wow this is really nice. Wait, you got an IPhone too? Can I see it? Amber: Sure. Cameran: When did you buy the phone? Amber: Saturday, the same time I brought the IPad. Cameran: And how much did they cost? Amber: My IPhone was $300 and my IPad was $500. I had $200 left over so I bought a couple extra chargers, some cases and a few other things. (Cameran adds up the prices in her head and realizes it was the same amount that Sam had in her wallet) Cameran: Where did you get the money to pay for this stuff? (Sam walks into the classroom and notices everyone huddled in the corner. Amber sees Sam and quickly grabs her stuff out of Cameran’s hands then stuffs it quickly in her book bag) Amber (talking to Cameran): Why does it matter, it’s none of your business! (Amber rushes to the other side of the room and sits in a desk. Sam walks over to Cameran and sits in a desk next to her) Sam: What’s going on? Why was everyone huddled around you? Is something wrong? Cameran: (With a scared look on her face) No, I’m fine. How are you? Sam: I’m alright. So are you gonna’ answer my question? (Chuckling) Cameran: Well, did you find your money? Sam: No, why do you keep changing the subject? (She says aggressively) Cameran: I’m not. I’m asking because I might have a pretty good idea on there your money is. (Sam jumps in excitement) Sam: Really, tell me! Where is it? (The bell rings and the teacher walk in) Mr. Smith: Quiet down class, everyone take a seat please. Cameran: I’ll tell you after class. Mr. Smith: Shhhhhhhhhh! Cameran: (Whispering) Sorry (An hour of class goes by. The bell rings and Amber grabs her stuff and rushes past the girls and out of the room) Sam: Well, someone was eager to leave. (The girls walk out of the classroom and into the hallway) Cameran: I think Amber might have taken your money Sam. Sam: (Making a shocked face) Why would you think that? I don’t think she would do something like that, and if she did, she would have returned it. Cameran: I think you’re wrong. Before class she was showing off her brand new IPad and IPhone that she JUST bought on Saturday. She said her IPad was $500, the phone was $300, and she had $200 left over. If you add all that up, it comes out to be $1,000. Where else would she get that kind of money Sam? Sam: (Still thinking) I guess you’re right. What day did she say she got the money? And if it is my money, how did she get it? Cameran: You lost it at practice on Friday right? Sam: Yes, that’s the last place I saw it. Cameran: I think you should confront her. Sam: I will. (Sam sees Amber walk into the bathroom. She follows her and locks the bathroom door, then sits on the sink while Amber’s in the stall. Amber walks out of the stall and sees Sam sitting on the sink.) Amber: (nervously) Heyyy Sam, What are you doing in here? Sam: I heard you got some new stuff. Amber: Umm, Yeah. And? Sam: How did you buy it? Amber: Money that I umm saved up. Sam: Really? Amber: Yeah, Why? Sam: Someone stole my wallet and it had a lot of money in it. I’m beginning to think you had something to do with it. (Amber loses eye contact and starts stuttering) Amber: I can’t believe you would think I stole your money Sam, I thought we were friends. (Amber walks out of the bathroom) (Later that day the girls are at basketball practice. Cameron has to go to the bathroom) Cameran: Coach, can I please go to the bathroom? Coach: Sure, just hurry up. I don’t understand why you females have to pee so much. (Rolls eyes) (Cameran leaves the gym and walks into the locker room. She uses the bathroom, and then gets some lotion out of her locker. She notices Amber left her locker open. She opens it and sees Amber’s unzipped gym bag with Sam’s wallet inside. She runs out in a hurry, but comes back to take a picture so that she can have proof.) Cameran: Amber you lied. You stole Sam’s money. I saw her wallet in your locker. Amber: How did you get in my locker? Cam: You left it open. Here’s a picture to prove it. (Cameran pulls out her phone and shows the picture to Sam, Amber, and Coach.) Coach: Well, she’s telling the truth. Sam, how much money did you say was in that wallet? Sam: Exactly $1,000. Coach: Amber, you’re going to be in a lot of trouble over this money if that wallet is really hers. Follow me to the office. (Amber, Coach, and Sam go to the office and Amber is asked to get the wallet out of her bag in the locker room. She eventually confesses to stealing the wallet, as well as the money. She gets suspended from school for two months and had to either return the money to Sam, or face prison time.)