Liberty issue #1 - comic book script | Teen Ink

Liberty issue #1 - comic book script

May 30, 2014
By MickLiberty GOLD, Troy, Michigan
MickLiberty GOLD, Troy, Michigan
15 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended."
Bruce Wayne/Batman, The Dark Knight Rises


Comic description:
The comic starts out with Vince Valor (aka Liberty) running along the rooftops of downtown Seattle while narrating an internal monologue. After stumbling upon an alleyway robbery, he springs into action, battling the thug and saving a Seattle civilian. Once finished, he returns to his apartment to rest for the night, also concluding his narration for this issue.

ONE
Pan 1
The downtown area of Seattle is in full view. It is nighttime, had previously rained, and the city is bustling with street-level traffic.

Captions

Seattle, WA (locator, blocky text)

I made a promise once.
Pan 2
A introduction panel stating who the writer for the comic is.

Pan 3
Zooming in towards the city, where silhouetted Liberty is jumping the rooftops.
Caption
A promise to a friend.
Pan 4
Another introduction panel stating the artist(s)
Pan 5
Liberty’s footsteps as he is running along the rooftops are visible. He steps in a puddle of rainwater on the roof.

Caption

I said that I would become someone he wanted me to be. Not just mild-mannered Vince Valor, but someone similar to a hero.
Pan 6
Intro panel stating the editors/publishers

Pan 7
Liberty continues to run.

Caption

An adversary against injustice.

TWO
Pan 1
Liberty continues to run.

Caption

I would fight against those who do evil…
Pan 2
Liberty is looking down from the roof ledge at a tough street thug in an alley who is robbing a woman.

Caption

...And defend the innocent.
Pan 3
The thug is holding a gun to the woman and demanding she give him her purse.

Caption

I am...
Thug
Gimme me the purse and you can walk outta here!
Pan 4
Liberty leaps off the roof and is descending. The thug and woman are startled.

Caption

...LIBERTY! (title, red/white/blue blocky text)
Liberty
Let the lady go, punk!
Pan 5
Liberty lands and the thug redirects his aim towards him, while the lady backs away.
Thug
What’chu want man? You betta’ get outta here ‘fore I put a cap in you.
THREE
Pan 1
Liberty’s face is visible as he squints his eyes.
Liberty
Let’s see how that turns out!
Pan 2
Liberty punches the thug in the face. The thug’s gun fires off towards the side. The lady is standing away.


Sfx


(Punch) Whack!


(gun) Bam!
Thug
hughhh!

Liberty
Haha! Your bullet is out of bounds, fella!
Pan 3
The thug is apparently knocked out and is lying against a dumpster. His gun is on the ground next to him. Liberty is approaching the lady and pointing to the thug.
Liberty
Alright, ms. Looks like this guy is out for a nap.
Pan 4
The thug is shown closer, knocked out. Focus is mainly on the gun.
Liberty (off)
Are you okay, ms.?
Pan 5
The thug is slowly waking up from the short unconsciousness with a hand on his head and viewing the gun.
Thug
unnnnn…
Lady (off)
It’s Marsha. And yes, I -- I’m fine. Thank you.
FOUR
Pan 1
The thug grabs hold of the gun.

Pan 2
Liberty is speaking to Marsha while the thug is taking aim on him.
Liberty
Well Marsha, pleasure doing business with y--
Marsha
WATCH OUT!
Pan 3
The thug shoots at Liberty, but the bullet just nicks his costume. He is falling backward.


Sfx


(gun) Twoof


(bullet) Zip
Pan 4
Liberty is running his finger over the scratch on his jacket.
Liberty
Oh come on man, this is my good jacket.
Pan 5
Liberty is on his back and elbows, looking at the thug who is towering over him from a distance. The thug is preparing to shoot him again.
Thug
Don’t worry ‘bout it, hero. You won’t feel the next one.
FIVE
Pan 1
Liberty reaches into his pocket to equip his Explosive Stars.
Liberty
Oh no you don’t.
Pan 2
Liberty throws the stars to disarm the thug once again. The explosion opens the lid of the dumpster.


Sfx


(stars) Boom!
Thug
ooph!
Pan 3
Liberty is standing heroically and looking at the thug knocked out inside the dumpster. Police sirens are ringing from the streets.
Liberty
Good ol’ Explosive Stars.
Here come the police. Tell them everything that happened Marsha. I gotta go.

Pan 4
Liberty is walking away down the alley. Marsha is calling out to him.
Marsha
Wait! What’s your name?
Pan 5
Liberty is looking back at Marsha and smirking.
Liberty
Call me...Liberty.
SIX
Pan 1
We are taken into the interior of Vince's apartment, which is dark. We are facing the door waiting for him to arrive at home.
Captions
Vince's apartment (locator, blocky text)
What a rough night.
Pan 2
Vince opens the door to his apartment, but he is shadowed by the darkness.
Caption
But it was nothing I’m not used to.
Sfx
(Door) Ch-shuck
Pan 3
Vince turns on the light (kitchen) and walks in. He is wearing his casual clothes and a cross necklace. His costume is in his backpack.
Caption
After all, being a vigilante always comes with consequences.
Sfx
(Light) Click
Pan 4
Vince sets his backpack on the kitchen counter and pets his cat, who is standing on the table.
Caption
I don't do this just for thrills.
Sfx
(Cat) Meow


Purr
Vince
Hey there, Ollie. Aren't you supposed to stay off the table?
Pan 5
Focus is on the backpack on the counter, where a portion of Vince’s costume is revealed, and he is leaving the scene to go into his room and the cat follows.

Caption

I fight for my friend. He knows this city is becoming corrupt because of street thugs and organized criminals. He would be fighting this war beside me, but a crime done to him resulting in paralysis got the best of him. I won’t let that happen to anyone else.

SEVEN
Pan 1
Vince is standing in the doorway of his room. The cat is walking around his legs.

Caption

Not when the people I care about are endangered.
Pan 2
He sits down at his bed with his cat. There is a nightstand beside him with a lamp and a Bible.

Caption

Not when innocents are endangered.
Pan 3
Focus is on Vince’s hand reaching over to pick up the Bible.

Caption

Justice is not my only ally, though. Faith guides me.
Pan 4
Vince flips open to a string-bookmarked page.

Caption

Whenever I’m faced with the injustice in this city, I rely on Jesus. I’ve created a place for Him in my life ever since the day Tanner was injured.
Pan 5
Exterior view of Vince’s apartment in the night facing the balcony. The lights in his apartment are on (which he will turn off in the next panel.)

Caption

So what exactly happened on that day, you may ask?
Pan 6
Same as above panel except the apartment lights are turned off.

Caption

Well...that’s a story for another time.

End Issue 1 (blocky text)
End issue 1


The author's comments:
This is a comic book script for the first issue of my original series titled "Liberty". The story follows Vince Valor, who at night is a vigilante. Hope you enjoy reading!