Jane's Diner | Teen Ink

Jane's Diner

By alixander-eden SILVER, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
alixander-eden SILVER, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania

int. jane's bedroom-dayAn alarm clock buzzes. A 47-year-old mother with bags under her eyes, JANE, slams it with a groan.janeTommy! Time to get ready!Jane rises from her bed. She wears pajama pants and a tee shirt. She flicks her light on and opens the closet.Int. tommy's bedroom-dayTOMMY, sporting footie pajamas in his late teens, rolls around on his Ninja Turtles bed sheets. Jane walks into the room, now wearing jeans and the tee she slept in, adjusting her earring. She picks up sweatpants and a tee shirt from a chair in the corner. Her eyes do not meet Tommy's, they only gaze at the floor. Tommy stands from his bed and pulls his mother into a warm hug. Jane's face remains hard.ext. establishing shot of jane's diner and the parking lot.Jane and Tommy step out of a beat-up minivan parked in front of JANE'S DINER, a small restaurant in need of repair. Paper signs in the windows: 'FREE FRIES EVERY PURCHASE AFTER 9PM!'; 'VOTED 5TH BEST BURGERS IN TOWN!'.Jane pulls keys from the pocket of her jeans.tommyI wanna do it!Jane sighs and hands Tommy the keys. He jingles them, then slides them into the door. The two slip in.INT. jane's diner-dayJane flips the light switch on, and turns on the neon 'OPEN' SIGN. Then, the lights in the kitchen. Tommy sits down in a booth by himself and picks at his nails.JANEEveryone else should be here soon. You want a chocolate milk?Tommy nods.TOMMYLori?Jane ties an apron around her waist and chuckles.JANELori should be here soon. Maybe I'll start making her usual. Why? You like her?Tommy hugs his own torso and blushes. Jane goes into the kitchen.MARK, a tall, attractive waiter in his 20's, enters the diner. He shrugs off his jacket and ties on an apron. Mark salutes Tommy at his table. Tommy salutes him back. Mark walks into the kitchen with Jane.INT.kitchen-dayJane mixes chocolate milk in a plastic cup on the counter.JANEMorning, Mark. Hear anything from Bea or Nora?markI figured they were here already.Jane shakes her head.MARK(playfully)Just me and you today? ----, Jane, how're you gonna keep this place open?Mark smiles at Jane and takes the chocolate milk from her hands.JANEIt's slow now, but it'll pick up.MARKYou said that yesterday--Mark cracks a smile and leaves the kitchen with the chocolate milk.INT. JANE'S DINER-DAYMark pulls a curly blue straw from his apron and gives it, and the chocolate milk, to Tommy.LORI, a brunette with glasses and a pretty face strolls into the diner, sits onto a barstool. Tommy WATCHES HER from his seat while sipping his drink. Mark raises an eyebrow at Tommy and nods at Lori. Tommy blushes. Mark smiles and walks to the counter to attend to Lori.MARK(o.s.)I think Jane's already making yours. Two poached eggs and two sausages?The camera cuts to Mark and Lori.loriDon't forget the coffee.NORA and BEA, best friends and fellow waitresses strut in together, arm in arm.noraHappy Friday!beaPay-daaaaay!The two friends laugh, grab their aprons, and walk into the kitchen.INT.KITCHEN-DAYJane gathers Mark, Nora, and Bea. She holds three envelopes. Nora and Bea exchange a nod.JANESo-- I'm not able to pay you guys as much this week. The rent for this place has been raised. Again.Mark, Nora, and Bea look around at each other, worried. Jane hands them the envelopes. They open them. A beat, thenMARKJane, I know it's hard to pay us, but--Nora and Bea look astonished.Mark looks away.MARKThis is less than what McDonald's pays their 15-year-olds. I have kids to take care of. I'm the only income.BEAYeah, what the heck is this? We can't survive! Me and Nora'll have to get another job. No way our landlord will let us go another week.Nora nudges Bea.NORA(whispering)My boyfriend's place is hiring.Bea elbows Nora.They all look at Jane expectantly.JANEIf you can hang in there until I get the rent paid--MARKHow long, Jane? It's not like people are lining up at the door to tip us.JANEThis is the busiest we've been all month!SMASH CUT TO: DINING AREALori, Tommy, an old couple, a young couple, and a lonely guy at the counter are the only customers.BACK TO SCENE:MARKI don't think I can do it anymore. I'm sorry.Mark unties his apron, folds it, then places it on the counter. He heads out the door. Bea and Nora throw their aprons on the counter. They catch up with Mark and walk out the door together.Jane stands in the doorway of the kitchen, dumbfounded.NORA(o.s.)We can ask my boyfriend for jobs at the grocery store.MARK (O.S.)Isn't the guy who owns it like, 90?NORA (o.s.)He's only 85!Their voices trail off as the door chimes closed. Jane stands, staring at them from behind the counter.LONELY GUYCan I get some service please?Jane nods quickly and speed walks over to him.We hear Tommy sucking the last drips of chocolate milk through his straw. He watches his mother. Jane walks away from the lonely guy's table with her tablet and pen in hand. Tommy gets up and nudges his mother. They speak quietly.JANE(distant)Everyone's gone.TOMMYForever?JANESeems like it.Jane pulls Tommy into the kitchen.INT.KITCHEN-DAYJane pulls Tommy into the kitchen. She flips Lori's eggs and sausage simmering on the stove. They're burnt black.JANE(to herself)Not like I have anyone else.JANE(to Tommy)Okay.Tommy smiles wide. Jane slaps Lori's burnt breakfast onto a plate and hands it to Tommy. The plate wobbles in his hands. Jane catches it for him and sends him off. he takes the plate to Lori. She doodles on a napkin.LORI(absent-minded)Thanks, Timmy.Tommy nods, his smile fading. He looks around the diner. The young couple has left. Tommy walks back into the kitchen with his head down.EXT. ESTABLISHING SHOT OF JANE'S DINER AND THE PARKING LOT- morningJane wears a different shirt and pants. Tommy sports gray sweatpants and a Ninja Turtles shirt. They walk in the kitchen through the diner.INT. JANE'S DINERJane ties an apron around herself, then Tommy. She leads him over to the stove.MONTAGE:Tommy flips eggs. He takes plates out to people. He washes dishes. Jane pours coffee. Tommy smiles shyly at Lori. Lori doodles on napkins. Tommy takes them when she's gone. Jane pins orders to a magnet board. Tommy places a sandwich on a plate. They collect tips.Int. kitchenJANEThat wasn't bad at all.Tommy gives Jane a high-five. She looks in the fridge.JANEWe're outta eggs. I need to go pick some up, are you good here alone?Tommy nods gingerly and dries a plate.JANEJust fill up peoples' drinks. if they get mad that their food's not here just tell them a joke from the Ninja Lizards, okay?Jane unties her apron and grabs her purse. She leaves the almost-empty diner and steps into her car.Jane's POV: Tommy refills Lori's drink. He points to his shirt excitedly.Int. grocery store, dayJane picks out a few cartons of eggs and puts them into a basket.Bea (o.s.)Excuse me, ma'am, do you need any help?JANEOh no, I--She turns around to see Bea in her grocery uniform, leaning against the fridge.JANEOh, hello Bea. You all get jobs here?Bea turns and gestures to Nora, clinging to her 85-year-old boyfriend's arm. He wears a blank expression. Mark stands on the other side of them, stocking shelves.BEAAren't they adorable?JANE(blurts out)Think you guys would ever come back?She keeps her head down.BEANo way. I'm sorry, but, no way. I get eleven and a half bucks an hour for stacking shelves and pretending to care about pathetic customers like you. No offense.BEA(whispering)Nora's boyfriend is, like, rich or something. But, no way I'm comin' back. I'm getting moneeeeey.Bea pats Jane on the shoulder, turns on her heel, and helps another customer. Jane puts an egg carton back into the fridge. She walks away.INT. JANE'S DINER-afternoonJane walks in. The neon 'OPEN' SIGN is off, and the diner is vacant.JANETommy?She walks into the kitchen, sees Tommy curled up on the floor. He holds Lori's napkin drawings in his hands, his face damp and red with tears.JANETommy? What happened? Where is everyone?Tommy hands a napkin to his mom.INSERT: Written in sloppy blue ink, "Will you be my girlfriend?". Below, "No." in lowercase print next to a frowny face.Jane's face softens. She crouches down next to Tmmy. He pulls her into a hug. She hugs him back.TOMMYI don't wanna be in the kitchen anymore. I want to sit in my spot again.Jane gets up.JANE(resigned)Why not?Tommy gestures to the note. Jane slams open the fridge and puts away the eggs. She walks to the dining area and turns on the open sign.JANEWe need to make moneeeeey.She looks down. an envelope lay on the floor. Jane picks it up, rips it open.INSERT: The letter reads: 'Rent Overdue'She reads the notice. Jane pushes her head against the door. Her knuckles are white around the envelope. She breathes heavily and stands behind the cash register. She counts the money in the register She shakes her head. She takes out her wallet in her purse. She checks her phone.INSERT: Jane's phone reads 'BANK STATEMENT: $2.47'.Jane slams her phone on the counter.A CUSTOMER walks in.JANEHi! What can I get you?customerDo you still serve breakfast after two?JANE(passive)I do if you have 300 bucks.The customer shakes their head, frowns, and walks out the door.Then, Mark, Bea, Nora, and Nora's boyfriend walk in.MARKHey! I hope that veggie panini is still as good as it was when I was here.The four seat themselves. Nora's hand wraps around her boyfriend. Jane stands in front of their table.JANEPlease don't make fun of me.Mark and Nora look at Jane, then Bea, confused.BEAYou should really just sell the place or something, Jane.MARK(changing the subject)Where's Tommy?JANEHe closed the place when I went to get eggs. Probably gonna stay in the kitchen the rest of the day. That girl he likes turned him down.Mark bites his lip nervously. He gestures towards the kitchen.MARKCan I--?Jane nods. Mark goes into the kitchen.INT. KITCHENTommy is nowhere to be found. Mark looks everywhere, he becomes more panicked. He slips his head out the door while Jane is taking everyones' orders.Mark grabs Jane's hand and leads her out of the diner. They exit.EXT. ESTABLISHING SHOT OF JANE'S DINER AND THE PARKING LOT.Mark lets go of Jane and surveys the street in front of them. We see Tommy on the other side of the street, holding a homemade sign-- "EAT AT JANE'S DINER!'Jane and Mark rush over to Tommy on the sidewalk. Tommy salutes Mark. Mark salutes Tommy.JANEOh, honey, you don't need to do this.MARKJust come back inside.Mark links arms with Tommy and walks him back to the other side of the street and into the diner. Jane follows with her hand on Tommy's back.INT. dinerJANEWe're fine now! Who wants food?Bea and noraMeeeeeee!Tommy slides into his usual seat and Mark sits with him. Nora taps Jane on the arm.NORAI think Jimmy--She squeezes her 85-year-old boyfriend's arm.NORA--has something to ask.Jimmy clears his throat.JimmyI am looking to open a restaurant. Since you're not doing well, and this is--He looks around.JIMMYcute, I want to offer to buy it from you. However much you paid for it. And I'll pick up this month's notice.Jane nods, her mouth open, then looks at Tommy. He and Mark salute her with wide smiles.EXT. ESTABLISHING SHOT OF JANE'S DINER AND THE PARKING LOT.The windows of the diner sparkle, ripped signs are taken down. We see customers inside, eating and talking to each other. Jimmy and Nora sit in a booth together. Jane sweeps the floor. Tommy sips chocolate milk with Mark. They both wear aprons.Other customers come into the newly-renovated restaurant. Jane motions for Mark to wait a table. He slides out of the booth, half salutes Tommy.JANEYou too, Tommy. Go wait on that one.She gestures toward a family walking in. The two exchange a smile as Tommy scoots out of his seat and walks over to the family.Jane sweeps. She crouches on the floor to sweep a pile into the dustpan. A SHRED OF NAPKIN is on the floor. Jane flips it over.INSERT: Tommy's note to Lori.Jane sweeps it into her pile and throws it way.Fade out, back to the establishing shot of Jane's Diner.FADE TO BLACK.