Wavey | Teen Ink

Wavey

By Izzy1770 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
Izzy1770 BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

"The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again." -Charles Dickens

Setting: This takes place in a small/rundown town in the park where a few friends go after hours to talk amongst themselves and the times they are having at home and just in life. It’s mid September, the weather is still enjoyable.

Scene:  A problem arises when an unwanted secret is revealed amongst this gang of friends.

Characters:
-Jerry. The friend who is modest and shy. Doesn’t like stepping out of his comfort zone but is highly manipulable.
-Dwane. The friendly kid in town. He likes making everyone feel accepted and tries showing everyone that they belong in this town.
-Kathy. The new girl in town. She just wants to fit in and have fun doing it. She speaks her mind and no one can keep her from doing so.
-Laurie. Always grew up as one of the guys. Very well known. Although she doesn’t make the best decisions. The only worries she has concern herself and she doesn’t care about what her peers have to say about that.
-Colin. The older wiser brother of Dwane. He likes to meet new people and experience new things but also has lots of secrets hiding from those around him.
-Max. The friend who overstays his welcome and always crosses boundaries.
-Ricky. Kathy’s dad. Overprotective but will not hesitate to do anything as long as it makes his daughter happy.

Wavey

JERRY: (A single yellow stage light flashes on left stage as the group begins walking on from left stage) “This is all your fault!” (he shouted loudly as he stormed off and sprinted back left stage)

DWANE: “Don’t mind him. (he stated) He acts like this whenever we get caught out late, his parents are some real strict folks.” (he continues walking down stage as he firmly grasps his lady’s (kathy) hand)

KATHY: (another yellow light flashes down as the remainder of the group continues to walk towards a bench which is near center stage) “Do you guys do this often?” (she uttered softly as she gazes up at him trying to get his attention)

DWANE: (slowly walking as he looks Kathy in her eyes grasping her hand tighter) “Actually…”

LAURIE: (entering from nearly two steps behind Dwane and Kathy: puts her arm around Kathy,pulling her away from Dwane) “It’s kinda our thing, all of our friends enjoy it, we have  picked up some real unforgettable memories at these times of night.” (She interrupted) “Some people at school call us the night owls.” (she tries convincing kathy as she starts to show a slight grin)

MAX: “Yeah, don’t listen to Laurie, no one really calls us that.” (he jokingly says as he pulls Kathy away from Laurie)

LAURIE: “Buzz kill.” (she softly says) “Let me have fun with the newby...” (she says eagerly)

MAX: (laughs) “The only one allowed to mess with the newby is Dwane.”

DWANE: “Yeah, finders keepers!” (he says in a taunting immature behavior)

COLIN: “Knock it off, y’all are gonna scare this little girl away. (he says in a strict steady voice as he slaps Dwane on the back of the head and heads to the far right of the group, closest to Kathy) I’m Colin by the way.” (he shakes Kathy’s hand)

KATHY: “Hi, I’m kathy, I just moved here.” (she says as they all sit down on the remaining part of benches and the side curb and park bench)

DWANE: “This is our new neighbor Colin.” (he smiles down at Kathy)

COLIN: “Oh! This is the new town cutie you were talking about this morning.” (he winks at Dwane) Not bad little bro!” (he whispers as he punches him in the shoulder)

KATHY: (blushes)

COLIN: (sits on the bench in center stage) “So, where are you from Kathy?”

LAURIE: “She’s from New York.”

MAX: “She’s a city girl, can’t you tell?” (he jokingly says as he begins to laugh at himself and moves to the bench and sits by Colin)

DWANE: “Hey don’t judge, I dig her style.” (he says smoothly as he reaches in his pocket for his phone)

LAURIE: “Of course you do!” (she says assuringly as she swiftly takes his phone from him and walks over to sit on the curb next to Kathy)

COLIN: “Hey Laurie, while you’re over there, mind doing him a solid?” (he asks politely yet demanding as he puts his arm around his brother)

LAURIE: “Already ahead of you!” (she says eagerly as she passes the phone to Kathy) “go ahead and put your number in Dwane’s phone.”

KATHY: “u-- o- okay! I’d love to.” (She smiles as she starts typing it in)
(car screeches and lights shine bright around the corner. Max and Colin took off running/exiting right stage)

RICKY: (windows roll down) “Sweetie I have been looking all around for you. You missed dinner. I know you don’t like it here, but can you at least stay in touch with me?” (he questions)

KATHY: “Bye dad.” (she says very snobby as she gets embarrassed)

(the car turns around and exits left stage)

KATHY: (stage lights turn light blue) “Sorry guys, he’s been like this ever since my mom passed away.”

DWANE: “That’s okay, all of our families are messed up.” (he puts his arm around Kathy as he slides closer to her on the curb)

LAURIE: “Speak for yourself, my parents give me hope that true love still exists.” (Smiles and looks across the stage) “Hey, has anyone noticed where Colin and Max took off too?” (she stands up brushing off her butt and thighs)

DWANE: “I think they headed down Willow road, you should go try to find them. I think Colin misses you.” (punches Laurie’s shoulder in a teasing manner)

LAURIE: (blushes) “Well… I mean he… who wouldn’t miss me.” (her voice shook with eagerness as she took off walking right stage after Colin and Max)

KATHY: (the lights dim) “Did they used to be close or something?” (she abruptly questions)

DWANE: “You could say that… they kind of dated for quite some time until Colin served in the Marines. As soon as he got back Laurie had just finished dating his childhood friend Rambo. Rambo Barvey.”

KATHY: “Hey didn’t that entire family live in my house or something?” (she puzzlingly questioned) “Where did they move to?”

DWANE: “Him and my bro had a falling out, one thing led to another and his family just decided it was time to move. His family moved to stay close to their parents again, but noone really knows where Rambo is now.” (he said softly)

KATHY: “They left in a hurry, I found a few boxes in my new room.” (she slowly says as she inches away from Dwane hoping what she thinks is not true)

DWANE: (yellow light shines brighter) “yeah… this is depressing. (he mumbles) So tell me about yourself, how old are you? Do you like it here yet? When do you start school?” (he questions in a friendly tone as the spotlight shines brighter)

KATHY: (she pulls away from Dwane more and more as she locks eye contact and begins to grin at him) “Not much to tell, I’m sixteen but I skipped a grade. This place is adorable but it’s nowhere close to how my city life was. I start school on Monday.” (she excitedly says)

DWANE: “I’ll take you to school and your classes don’t be nervous you will fit in just fine!” (he cheerfully says as he begins to smile at her) “You’ll already be the prettiest girl at our school so the guys will be lining up to help you out whenever you need it.” (he slides closer to her)

KATHY: “That’s too sweet of you! Thank you.” (her smile gets bigger and bigger as she begins to blush)

DWANE: “It’s no problem.” (He ensures as he slowly and gently wraps his arm around Kathy)

KATHY: (the stage lights turn red) (as she looks Dwane up and down as if he had just shot someone)

DWANE: (hesitates to speak) “s-- Sorry, you looked cold.” (as he moves his arm off of her and gets up pacing from left stage to center repeatedly)

KATHY: “Look, I don’t think you understand…” (the red lights shine more)

COLIN: (shouting from off stage in a strict voice) “You guys still there? Kathy? Dwane??” (rushingly runs to center stage appearing from right stage)

KATHY: (the lights turn blue) “Yeah! We’re still here.” (as she says when she gets up and starts walking to the left of dwane)

COLIN: (appears from right stage) “Thank god I found you guys! (blue light shines on the stage) “I’ve ran maybe ten miles trying to find Laurie and Max, but then I found something. (puts hand into pockets and begins walking back and forth from upper to lower stage) “Do you remember what Laurie gave me for our one month?” (he says in a shaky voice as he looks at Dwane)

DWANE: “Of course I do. I told her where to get it from. Why?” (he puzzlingly asks)

COLIN: “Well little bro, (one center yellow light shines only at Colin) they still sell them and when I was running passed that store window, it dawned on me. I remembered that Rambo had the same one, before I did actually.” (he stunningly says as he pulls out his and tosses it to Kathy)

KATHY: (stage lights all go on) “You don’t think..?” (she says as sitting back down next to Dwane)

DWANE: “No way…” (his jaw dropped as he holds his face in awe)

COLIN: “You guys, I wasn’t the one being cheated on… I was the one who she was cheating with.” (he sits down between Dwane and Kathy)

DWANE: “Dudeeee… That’s messed up.” (he puts his hand on Colin’s shoulder)

COLIN: “Which part, the part where I dated someone as terrible as Laurie or the part that I cut off my best friend for her?” (he laughs as he holds back tears)

KATHY: “Is both an option?” (she chuckles)

DWANE: “Don’t even feel bad man. It’s her fault.” (he quickly moves his hand back to his side)

KATHY: “If you both don’t like her, then…” (Kathy gets interrupted and Laurie and Max appear from left stage. A single light appears and shines on Laurie and Max as they walk close to the rest of their friends)

LAURIE: “Hey you guys!” (she stumbles as she sits on Colin’s lap) “You will never believe where we were.”

COLIN: “Max... we told you to watch her!” (he says in s strict controlling type of voice as he procedes to push Laurie off of him and onto Kathy)

KATHY: “Jesus… where you guys at a bar? She smells like regret, puke and tequila.” (she laughs as the stage lights dim)

COLIN: “That’s better than her usual smell of desperation…” (gets up and walks left towards the tree placed next to the bench)

MAX: “Guys, I tried so hard to keep her out of trouble… I just couldn’t do it.” (he says as he swoops Colin’s spot on the bench)

LAURIE: “You guys just don’t understand.” (she sloppily says as she waves her finger in the air)

MAX: “What do you mean Laurie?” (he asks as he reaches out to give her guidance)

LAURIE: (one single spotlight shines) “You’re all talk Colin. Newsflash a female has needs you guyssss---”

COLIN: (interrupting her) “Laurie please don’t.” (he begs)

KATHY: “Wait, Laurie, are you saying---” (looking around the room hoping someone other than her caught on to what Laurie was trying to say)

COLIN: (pacing from left to right stage) “Yes.” (he interrupts Kathy) “I’m gay..” (he states as a center blue light flashes onto him as the remainder of the stage goes dark) “It started when I was in about middle school. I can’t control it, my mind just always wanted something else.” (he begins to choke up)

MAX: (the yellow light shines on max) “Colin! You don’t have to be embarrassed about this. We have always been your friends this doesn’t change you or how any of us feel about you.”

DWANE: (different yellow light shines at dwane) “Colin, I’m shocked… (pauses) but you should know I will always accept your choices.”

LAURIE: (all of the lights on stage flash on) “Pshhhh. Now you all understand why I had to cheat on him!” (she annoyingly says as she begins to puke behind the tree left of the bench)

MAX: (a blue spotlight shines) “Okay… Don’t mind Laurie you know how she is. How about I walk you both home now.”

COLIN: “I’ll see you later Dwane. Bye Kathy.” (he exits walking stage right with Max and Laurie following him)

DWANE: (stage lights turn off as two spotlights shine, one on Dwane while the other is on Kathy) “I’m---, I’m so sorry you had to see that.”

KATHY: (moving closer) “Don’t apologize. Did you have any idea?” (she questioned in a soft and friendly tone that seemed approachable)

DWANE: (holding his face leaning over as he sits on the park bench looking as if he is in pain) “He’s--- He used-- He always has been my role model. I thought we were close. Why would he keep something like this from me??”

KATHY: (inching closer to Dwane puts her arms around him and begins to hug him)

DWANE: (pushing Kathy away from him slowly while beginning to whimper) “I now it doesn't affect me, I just-- I just--- I just don’t know.” (he still doesn’t pay attention to Kathy as he fights back his tears)

KATHY: (she begins to move away from Dwane) “You just have to keep your mind on the bright side, if you’re not in the right mind than it isn’t the right time.” (she hesitantly gets up and walks down stage)

DWANE: “What do I say to him, how can I comfort him?” (Dwane stagelight changes to blue)

KATHY: “At this point, don’t worry about anything or anyone other than yourself.” (she begins pacing) “I’m still in shock Laurie knew.”

DWANE: “She’s not one to be underestimated. Laurie knows everything about everyone and will not hesitate to out or ruin someone's life and reputation.”

KATHY: “I just don’t understand how someone can be so cruel.” (she turns looking at Dwane as if he’s the the only person on the planet)

DWANE: (calmly stretching his legs out among the rest of the park bench) “She’s had a rough life, I always assumed that’s why my brother stayed with her. That is, until what I found out today changed that all around.”

KATHY: “I mean-- It’s not like this is not normal to happen. I have tons of friends from back home that are just like Colin!” (she happily says as her spotlight turns yellow)

DWANE: (aggressively says as his spotlight changes do dark red) “Like Colin?? What do you mean, a flamer?? Maybe we should just call him Callie or something, buy him dresses let him grow out his hair? Better yet, maybe I should let him tell me about all of the guys he wants to go on dates with, or which celebrity has the best butt; Dave Franco or James Franco?” (he says in an aggressive tone)

KATHY: “Don’t be such a hot head. You might not understand his choice, but that’s his choice not yours.” (she calmly says) “Just consider him wavey. Not the average person like everyone else. Different, but in a good way.”

(a whimper from off stage right)

DWANE: “Did you hear that??” (his spotlight goes clear again)

KATHY: “Is someone there? Laurie? Max? Colin is that you? (she slowly cries out as her voice becomes shaky with anticipation)
DWANE: “That sounded like an animal or something. (he states as he stands up and frantically begins to move towards right stage searching for what could have caused the noise)

KATHY: “I think you aren’t hearing clearly Dwane.” (she stands up from the bench as she grabs at his hand) “Listen closely.” (she says in a mature/ wise manner)

(the whimper sounds once again)

KATHY: “There. Did you hear it.”

DWANE: “No.”

KATHY: “It sounded like a wind through that small tree over there.” (she points towards the tree which is next to the bench)

DWANE: “What are you trying to say Kathy?” (he sits down as he grabs her hand and pulls her to sit next to him)

KATHY: (slowly sits down on the opposite side of the bench as far away from Dwane as possible) “What I’m trying to say is… It sounded different. We both were unfamiliar with it and were full of wonder once we heard it. Doesn’t that sound familiar to you Dwane??” (she grabs Dwane’s hand)

DWANE: “I guess I get what you mean…” (he squeezes Kathy’s hand)

KATHY: (one spotlight showing while the rest of the stage goes dark) “Colin didn’t have a choice. Just like the tree didn’t.

(the spotlight dims and the curtain goes down)

This is a one act play.