The Wake Up Call | Teen Ink

The Wake Up Call

- If you are unfamiliar with plays/scripts, O.C. stands for off camera. In this script in particular, the voices are coming from a cell phone. 

ACT I

Scene 1

GRIFFIN, 17, is asleep on a bed. A phone ringing waked him up. 

GRIFFIN

What the hell?

The ringing stops. GRIFFIN looks at the clock placed near him. 

GRIFFIN

(Muttering)

F***. Really? It's 2am. Who the hell is calling me? 

GRIFFIN checks his phone. It's a voice mail.

VOICE MAIL (O.C.)

One new message. Press 1 to listen. 

COLIN (O.C.)

Man, I... I.. need your help. We were out and I swear I wasn't drinking more than one beer and I didn't see it and Jade said to just leave and I don't know if..  and I.. I.. need your help man. Call me back as soon as you get this. Please man. You know I wouldn't call unless it was important. 

GRIFFIN

F*** him. He's drunk again and acting out. 

A phone ding is heard.

GRIFFIN

Another one? Really? 

VOICE MAIL (O.C.)

One new message. Press 1 to listen. 

JADE (O.C.)

Griffin. It's Jade. Well, you could tell that from my number. Whatever. You need to help us. I know you are listening to these. 

(Pauses)

Colin is gonna try and pin this on me but it wasn't my fault. I promise. Please, Griffin you have to call me. It's bad. It's really bad. Colin's getting angry. Call me please, Griffin.The phone dings. 

GRIFFIN

(Sighs)

Right, use Jade to make me feel back and call you. Real classy, Colin. 

VOICE MAIL (O.C.)

One new message. Press 1 to listen. 

COLIN (O.C.)

Griffin, we need help. I'm out by Renee's diner. There was a.. it's.. I can't.... You just need to come help us. Please. I know you're there man. Jade is losing it, man. Call me.

The phone dings for the fourth time. 

GRIFFIN

(To himself)

This better be good, Colin.

GRIFFIN types into his phone. It dials and rings. 

COLIN answers.

COLIN (O.C.)

Man! Thank god! I.. I.. don't know what to do. It's f***ed up like r-r-real bad. 

GRIFFIN

What did you do, Colin that you felt the need to call me at

(Pauses)

GRIFFIN looks at the clock again.2:16 in the morning?

I'm done with your s***, Colin. The phone begins to ring loudly. Hold on, someone else is calling me. Who else did you wake up for a ride, Colin?

GRIFFIN hits a button on the phone.

JADE (O.C.)

Thank god you answered-

GRIFFIN

-Jade, I'm done with both of you. Stop calling already. 

JADE (O.C.)

Wait-

GRIFFIN hits another button. 

COLIN (O.C.)

DUDE, you need to listen-

GRIFFIN

-No you need to f***ing listen. Stop calling me. We aren't friends. You slept with my f***ing girlfriend. That's not cool, you asshole. I'm going back to bed. 

COLIN (O.C.)

Please! You have to help us! And if not for me, do it for Jade. She's freaking out man-

GRIFFIN

-Don't call me again, Colin.

GRIFFIN presses a button on the phone. COLIN (O.C.)'s pleas disappear.  The stage goes dark. 

Scene 2

GRIFFIN is sitting at a table. The news from the overhanging TV is clearly heard. 

TV REPORTER (V.O.)

Two people  were killed in a car accident last night after another vehicle ran a stop sign and crashed into them. The driver of the car was inebriated. The driver of the other car and her ten year old daughter were both killed on impact. The driver and passenger involved will face criminal charges, after fleeing the scene before police could arrive. 

(Short pause)

If you have seen either two of these people,The TV flashes COLIN and JADE's faces.please contact authorities immediately. GRIFFIN pulls out his phone, hits a couple buttons, and holds it to his ear.

GRIFFIN

Hey, I have some information about that accident you're gonna want to know... 

CURTAINS DOWN. STAGE GOES DARk. 

CONTENT WARNING

There is use of swearing in this piece. It also deals heavily with the subject of drinking and driving. Read at your own discression. 

I wrote this piece at a summer program this year (2016). I hope you enjoy reading it!