Darling | Teen Ink

Darling

October 29, 2016
By Kamikami BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
Kamikami BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Lights up. There is a knock on the door of a lavish loft apartment. Florence runs to open it.
Florence: Is that my little Sophie!? Oh come in, come in, darling, you’ve gotten so tall! Come here.
(She hugs sophie and pinches her cheeks. Sophie has a blatantly fake smile, and is obviously uncomfortable)
Sophie: Hi aunt Florence
Florence:  Oh goodness you must be freezing, it gets cold here in the winter you know. I heard It might even snow. Did you see the Christmas tree? Of course you did. Oh how rude of me! I didn’t offer you a drink yet. Would you care for a drink?
(She offers sophie a glass of wine.)
Sophie: I’m… I’m twelve, aunt Florence.
Florence: oh… yes of course…
(She pours Sophie’s wine into her own glass)
Florence: Oh well come sit down dear, you must be exhausted from the plane ride.
(They sit down on a couch decorated with an absurd amount of pillows)
Florence: How’s school going dear, are you still doing those ballet classes I paid for?
Sophie: School is pretty good… I… I don’t take the ballet classes anymore.
Florence: What do you mean you don’t take them anymore?
Sophie: I don’t do ballet.
Florence: Well why? I paid for those, they would be very good for you posture.
Sophie: Because I didn’t like them, they were… nevermind
Florence: No, go on, what were they?
Sophie: They were boring… and… dumb.
Florence: Well ballet is very good for your health, and you would make a beautiful ballerina. Don’t all your girlfriends do ballet, and other girly things like they should?
Sophie: No.
Florence: Well then what do they do?
Sophie: They skate.
Florence: Oh! Figure skating! How exciting, you must do it with them then?
Sophie: No, not figure skating… skating like on skateboards… at the skate park.
Florence: Oh no… you don’t do this.. This… absurdity with them… do you?
Sophie: No I skate too.
Florence: SOPHIE!
Sophie: what?
Florence: I can't believe that you would partake in such a dangerous activity!
Sophie: It’s not that dangerous… I wear a helmet… And kneepads, and elbow pads and…
Florence: But aren’t there hooligans there?
Sophie: Hooligans?
Florence: Yes hooligans! And their shenanigans!
Sophie: No… We just skate and hang out.
Florence: Hang out!? Sophie, does your mother know you do these kinds of things?
Sophie: Yeah she’s fine with is as long as I wear a helmet.
Florence: I’ll have to have a talk with you mother… she was never very responsible when we were kids you know, and she wasn’t very smart either. Honestly I don’t think much has changed, don’t you dear?
Sophie: What? No! My mom is very smart and responsible!
Florence: Alright dear… you must be tired why don’t you go to bed.
Sophie: But I…
Florence: Sophie go to bed. Now.
Sophie: Yes aunt Florence.
The End.