I Would of Never Thought | Teen Ink

I Would of Never Thought

By literaryqueen99 GOLD, Louisville , Kentucky
literaryqueen99 GOLD, Louisville , Kentucky

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Andy Biersack

[Maya is an 18-year-old girl who’s 5’6, has thin blonde hair, dark brown eyes, spotted freckles across her face, she’s wearing a floral summer dress with sandals. She slowly walks into the kitchen where her parents are, holding her hands behind her back. She approaches them, tears forming in her eyes, she slowly brings her hand from behind her back, holding a positive pregnancy test. Her parents look up at her, asking what’s wrong]

[In a soft, low-tone voice]
Mom…Dad…I’m-I’m so sorry… [tears pour from her eyes] I never meant to…I know it was wrong…I know you taught me better than this. I made a big mistake. I’m scared, I don’t know what to do. [she slowly reveals the pregnancy test to them] I took a pregnancy test because I haven’t been feeling like myself lately. I’ve been so tired and I’ve thrown up for the past week. Well, now I know I didn’t have a virus or a cold… I’m just pregnant… [she clenches to the positive test]

Mom please don’t cry; it makes me even more upset. [More tears fall] Yes, I know I just graduated from high school! [shouts angrily] I didn’t plan this! My plan was to go to college and pursue my dream of becoming a nurse, then getting married in the future and then have children. I didn’t want my life to go in this order. Having a baby before college and even before I’m married? I would have never thought…

[looks out window above the sink, worried]
What do I do? I’m so scared to do the wrong thing for this baby. I want him or her to have a good life and a family that loves them [turns quickly towards her parents, anger in her eyes. Sighs while she wipes her tears away and looks down, placing a hand on her stomach]

[Standing her ground]
I’m keeping this baby, no matter what you two say. I can love this child like no other person in this world, I can be the best mom for them, get a job to support them. I know I’m young and did a thoughtless thing, but I don’t see this baby as a mistake. No child is a mistake, just sometimes a surprise. And in a way, I’m sort of happy that I got this surprise, even if it was a few years early. [Folds arms]

No, no mom, please don’t call Mr. Clyde! [shouts] I…I can take care of this on my own. I don’t need my therapist to know about this, let alone hearing his opinion. I don’t want his help! Yeah, I know he’s married and has like two children, but that doesn’t mean he knows what’s best for my baby! It’s my decision anyways so do not call him!

[Sits down next to her parents as some tears fall]
I’m sorry, I…I just can’t let him know. I don’t know what he’d do. To give it up for adoption? Tell me I wouldn’t be a good parent? Who knows, and I don’t want to find out. His opinion doesn’t matter to me because he will never know about this.

[Looks up at her mom, hand still on her stomach]
I want to switch therapists. I don’t want to see Mr. Clyde anymore. Mom, I don’t care if I’ve been seeing him ever since I was 15, I’m 18 now and I’m a legal adult. I want a new therapist! [She slams her clenched fist onto the wooden table] Because mom…I can’t let Mr. Clyde know he’s the father of my unborn baby.