Dim Corder | Teen Ink

Dim Corder

Left then right, left the right the patter of your soft footsteps eco down the tunnel. Walking for what seems like hours but yet going nowhere. The corder keeps going on and o ever so twisting left and right keeping the future a mystery. The lights fly by, never flickering, in the top corners of the wall spacing themselves equally apart from each other. stopping you to stretch your tired legs. Patter. Patter. Wait is your mind playing tricks you hear the sound of a baby's footsteps patterning along behind you. You turn to look behind only to hear the steps turn into the sound of metal crashing on tile. clank. Clank. CLANK. The steps get faster and faster. Breaking from your shocked state you sprint into the unknown. Left then right. Left the right. The hallway keeps on twisting and winding. The clanking stops so you take a break looking back over your shoulder and listening intently you realize the sound has stopped and the hallway is filled with the loud sound on silence. Was your mind playing tricks? What else could have caused the scraping sound. Gathering your courage again you continue back on your journey through the passageway. Left the right. Left then right. The lights rhythmically passing as you walk. The white walls surround you never stopping never changing. Left then right. Left then right. Your gut sinks. Your heavy footsteps are accompanied by a soft childlike footstep falling in between each of your steps. The accompanist footsteps get heavier and heavier. crash. Crash. CRASH. The metal boots are back sprinting behind you. Without hesitation your flying through the passageway. Left then right. Left the right.  This time you don't even stop when they are gone you sprint for what seems like hours. Right then left. Right then left. When your adrenaline comes to an end you hit the floor hard looking down at the ground trying to make the world stop spinning. You realize something in the corner of your eye. Your shoes are encased in steel.