Spider Lilies | Teen Ink

Spider Lilies

I finally have the time to go to the carnival and have some fun with my friends. After school, we decided to meet at the ferris wheel at around 5 O’clock. The time arrived and I made my way to the ferris wheel and as I got there I noticed I was the only one there. Surprisingly there were not a lot of people here. I was Patiently waiting, looking as if I was a cub crying for his mother. I look at my phone and notice I got a text from my friend 5 minutes ago saying “We are Here”. Confused, I replied with “What do you mean? I’m the only one here.” As I began to worry, I wandered around the ferris wheel and I caught sight of a man wearing a torn brown patent leather jacket, Black Sweatpants, and a Bucket hat. For some reason my eyes were drawn to his movements like I was a prey awaiting its death.A sudden shock rained over my body, making my muscles tense. I was paralyzed, his presence was so intimidating and dense I felt as if I was being crushed. The weight was so heavy I began to look like Atlas holding up the heavens as his punishment. Not being able to react, I continue to observe and I see him reach for air as a door appears right in front of the man. I clenched my fist as my heart started pounding rapidly. He walks in and the door closes behind him as it disappears again. Immediately I felt like I should run but my curiosity is at its peak. I walked towards the area where the man was and I began to search for the door. I was reaching out to nothing and then I felt it. As soon as I touched it, a battened finished door appeared in front of my eyes. A soft Eerie creek noise begins to erupt as I open the door. I walk in and the door shuts with brutal force. I look back and I see scratch marks all over the door. I quickly turned away and what I saw left me speechless. Salmon colored cherry petals fly across me as a river with crystal clear water and captivating soft snowy clouds appear. I continue to walk in the grassy area and I see a field full of spider lilies. Some are a lovely crimson and some vanilla white. I jog to the field and I examine the flowers. I pick up a white spider lily and begin to question to myself  “Why is this place hidden when it is so beautiful? And actually where is this place?” Then a wine red droplet falls from above tainting the white flower in my hands. The flower begins to turn red. Another drop falls and then another. As if a storm approached out of thin air. “Why is the rain red?” I think to myself. Then suddenly it stops. I look up and I see nothing but despair in front of my eyes. I fall to my knees as I look down at the scarlet spider lily that's in my hand. I began to feel cold as I trembled with fear building up in my body after what I just saw. I shut my eyes thinking this is a dream as I desperately try to wake up. I open my eyes and I hear boots pattered approaching me slowly. Then I felt it. The same presence from the man I saw before. It's him! I can't move, I cant talk, I can't react. I look to my right and I see a pool of crimson splatter. What is this! I look even further and in disbelief there they are, My friends. I panic, scream, cry, laugh, my emotions begin to fluster and then it becomes quiet. The man stops moving. He grins and speaks, “Your friends are waiting for you.” 

Welcome to the carnival.

Author's Note- I chose spider lilies (Higanbana) as the flower because in Japan it means the flower of the afterlife or the cycle of rebirth.