Do you Know the Devil? | Teen Ink

Do you Know the Devil?

New people, places, stories, and copious amounts of mischief used to be how I spent the unforgiving minute. Now, the quiet voices of new friends, trying new foods, and spending time in nature is what consumes me. Day after day, I walk through the streets flaunting my new found wealth and happiness in this bright and heavenly world. Compared to where I came from, even the slightest inconvenience here was not half the pain of something up there. “I want to be like you when I grow up,” the little girl in the park shouted at me. I smiled at her and went on my way. “No, you don’t,” I thought to myself. You do not want to live a double life like me down here. But, you can always join me up there and I can teach you my ways. I now realize I was too naive for this crazy world; how did I not know how cruel it was down here even without my presence? The world down here is so much more complicated, full of decisions and hardships. Unnecessary and obnoxious items fill my room just like empty words and promises used to fill my heart with the happiness I needed to show up and see the next person on my list. Ideas on what to eat or wear crowd in my brain like the thousands of young people who used to join me on a daily basis to right their wrongs. “No, you do not want to do this,” I want to yell at them when they approach me with their aspirations and dreams of being like me. Your world is ideal to me and my world would be hell to you. I’m not dressed in red with horns, but I do have everything you’ve ever wished for. Yet, you still can’t figure it out. Looks like my disguise for you imbeciles is working.

This piece is a flash fiction piece about the devil being among us in our society. Although we cannot see him, he is there and tempting us in everything we do. What would a world look like where this is real? Or better yet, Is this the reality we are currently living in?