In The Morning Where The Wildflowers Won't Grow | Teen Ink

In The Morning Where The Wildflowers Won't Grow

May 15, 2021
By h_impala BRONZE, Nashua, New Hampshire
h_impala BRONZE, Nashua, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I woke up in the woods today with nothing but a backpack. I don’t know who I am, and I don’t know how I got here. I searched through my backpack and I found nothing on who I could be, but I did find a journal and fountain pen. Along with the journal and pen the backpack contains three water bottles, beef jerky, an apple, a pocket mirror, a 7” switchblade, and strangely enough a small bag full of those crackers from church that are supposed to represent the body of Jesus. I don’t know why I have them, because I think they’re supposed to stay on consecrated ground. I probably had a reason to carry them with me...maybe I work in a church? First things first, I need to find civilization.

I looked all around me, but I saw nothing but trees and long dead shrubbery, which is odd considering the sweltering heat. I must have been a feckless individual to get lost out here without a phone. I might have had money issues and that’s why I’m phoneless. I turned around one last time and saw two people hiking their way through the long forgotten paths. I started running towards them as fast as I could and waving my hands over my head. My hat had fallen over my face by the time they noticed me and once I fixed I saw the both of them with terror stricken across their faces.

“Thank god I found you!” I had told them, “I woke up in the woods and I don’t know who or where I am.”

“Stay back, you take one more step towards me or my daughter and I’ll kill you!” the man exhorted. I was shocked, even though I don’t remember anything I know people shouldn’t talk to others like that. Maybe I should talk to him in a more stilted manner.

“I’m sorry, sir, if I somehow offended you, but I really need to find a town. If you won’t go with me could you at least point me in the right direction?” I had asked. The man looked conflicted at first, but proceeded to point in the direction they were coming from.

“Don’t expect us not to call the police.” he said, begrudgingly. I nodded my thanks to them and walked on my way, lamenting over what I did wrong. 

As I walked I continued to think about the girl who didn’t talk, she would be perfect. What for, I don’t know. I must have walked for an hour or so until the hunger set into my stomach. I sat on the leaves next to four or five wildflowers, and pulled the wafers and apple out of my bag. I scarfed down the apple and wafers, although the wafers tasted a little funny. I guess they were never made to taste good. I packed everything back up and got to my feet. I was about to start walking when I noticed that the wildflowers that were a vibrant pink only a few minutes before were now shrivelled up and gray. I turned around and saw that the path I had taken to get here was completely dead, even a tree I passed by was now rotting. I took a good glance around at the ground I had yet to touch and I saw that it was full of green moss and psychedelic flowers. 

I lost myself in pensive thought, if I did...that then I can’t be human. No one can make a forest floor rot to death...right? I continued to walk, but I felt traumatized by what I was doing with every step. Still, I went forward, but every flower killed implicated that I wasn’t normal. I looked forward, and for once I saw society! I ran towards the sound of cars until I entered upon a small city street. As I walked down the road a group of four teens looked at me before running away in a pomp fashion.

“Freaks.” I had thought. I continued to walk, at this point I had started to wobble, until I reached a building with a few tv’s in the window. I looked at them and what I saw surprised me, a serial killer was on the loose! The women on screen had long, brown hair and beautifully tanned skin. She was wearing a white tank top, and a hat that looked exactly like mine...I quickly pulled out the pocket mirror from my backpack and looked inside. Staring back at me was the same woman on screen. My eyes shot up and I looked to see more about her, err me.

“The serial killer known as the Poisonous Priest, was revealed earlier today to be a local priest named Amanda Davidson. Davidson has not been seen since her last kill early yesterday morning, she often kills her victims by poisoning the communion wafers at the church she-” The communion wafers...I ate the communion wafers. I turned around suddenly and I was only able to take a single step before I collapsed on the pavement. The last thing I heard before losing consciousness was police sirens rapidly approaching.


The author's comments:

Hadley is a 15 year old student at Nashua High School South. She is currently in highschool and spends her free time drawing, walking her dog, and spending time outside. Hadley enjoys a more emotional approach to writing and is working hard to get her work published.