Undercover: One Last Job | Teen Ink

Undercover: One Last Job

By dribotta1 GOLD, Tirana, Other
dribotta1 GOLD, Tirana, Other

"Sometimes I'll start a sentence, and I don't even know where it's going. I just hope I find it along the way. Like an improv conversation. An improversation. " - Michael Gary Scott.

“I’ve been doing this job for too long now,” says Agent Horton, a 39-year-old man with scars and bruises all over himself after having worked at the NSA for many years, as he looks down at his pale, white hands.  
“It’s been 18 years since I started and now, I’m almost 40. I’m in for one last job, so give me the best you’ve got.” 
“Alright Agent Horton, but just so you know, this job will take a toll on you after you leave, and you will miss it. Anyways, we’ve got something for you. We’ve been tracking a drug cartel in Hong Kong for about 3 months now and we need you to go and check it out. It’s being operated by Americans which means that that gives you an in with them, if you need to make contact, only in the worst-case scenario.” 
“Got it. And just so you know, I will miss it but it’s time for me to retire. I’ll follow the cartel in Hong Kong, but I want Agent Michaels with me.” 
“Alright, I’ll tell him. You leave first thing tomorrow and try not to be late.”  
After the talk with his boss, Agent Waller, Luke Horton decided to retire from the NSA, the National Security Agency. He’s 39 years old and wants to spend more time with his family. Now, he has only one last job to do. All he needs to do is go to Hong Kong for a couple weeks to follow a drug cartel and report to his boss anything that is going on there. It’s a very easy job, at least that’s what he thinks... 
The next day, he wakes up and goes to see his buddy that owns a coffee shop right next to his house. He’s been going there for 18 years of his life every day before work. After having said ‘goodbye’ to his wife Jane, his 6-year-old daughter Lucy, and his friend at the shop, he heads to work. He meets up with Agent Michaels and they walk to the NSA jets. Since they are stationed in Washington, it’ll be a long ride. 
“Michaels, we need to figure out a plan for this job,” says Horton as they take off for Hong Kong. 
 “So, we get there in the morning and we put our stuff in the safehouse. We then take the car and go check the warehouse out where they are supposedly running their cartel. All we need to do is take photographs of the location and anyone going in and out of the warehouse. Don’t worry, it’s an easy job. After we report all the info to Waller, she’ll send in a squad to make the bust. Got it?” 
“Got it. I’m going to miss working with you, it really has been an honor.” 
“Thanks Michaels, it’s been an honor for me too.” 
As they arrive at Hong Kong, after 17 hours of flight, Agent Michaels brings all the luggage they had to the safehouse as Agent Horton immediately went to stakeout the warehouse. Michaels said he would join him after he had finished with everything. The warehouse that the drug cartel was in was one of the biggest in Hong Kong. It started to make Agent Horton wonder why they would set up shop in one of the most popular ones in Hong Kong. He later proceeds to contact Agent Waller... 
“Horton for Waller,” says Horton on the radio as he keeps an eye on the warehouse. 
“Yes, Agent Horton, what is it? Have you found something already?” says Agent Waller with interest. 
“Maybe. I found out that the warehouse the cartel is in is one of the biggest in Hong Kong which would make it the most frequented. Why would they run their operations there if it brings the most attention?”  
As he finished his sentence, the warehouse seemed to be on fire, and 2 minutes later, there was an explosion. Agent Horton’s car was destroyed, and he was mildly injured.  
“Agent Waller, do you copy?! Agent Waller?!” 
The radio had been demolished by the explosion. Immediately, the firefighters arrived to extinguish the warehouse and the news was already broadcasting the incident as it was filled with news reporters while the fire was still being put out. After half an hour of firefighters spraying water on the building, Agent Horton enters. He sees that there was no cartel in the first place. Even a fire would have left some evidence of there being any drugs or tools to make the substance in the building. Agent Michaels pulls up in a taxi and runs in to see if Horton was alright.  
“What happened?” 
“I’m not sure, but what’s strange is that there is no evidence of there being a cartel in here. We must speak with Agent Waller because I think that the intel, she got was false.” 
As Michaels goes to pull out his radio to contact Agent Waller, Agent Horton subtly tells him to put the radio back because he’s seen a dealer with the drug that they are tracking, vinipril. A drug that makes you so unconscious of your own being, that you black out with ultimate pleasure. However, the consequences can be dire, but your body still operates. From the little that the NSA know about it, they’ve seen people set things on fire, go into stores with a gun and rob the stores, create absolute messes...  
“Wait! Put it back slowly.” 
“What? Why? We need to contact Waller,” Michaels says while putting the radio back. 
“I have eyes on a dealer who is handing the same drug we’re tracking right now to a man in a hood. I want you to go for the person he’s giving it to, and I’ll go for the dealer. They’re right behind you, behind the wall. On my way, we ran towards them. If your guy starts running away, which he probably will, you get him.” 
“Copy.” 
“Three. Two. One. Now!” Horton counts down as he keeps his eyes on the dealer. 
As they run towards them, the deal is interrupted, and the others run. Michaels catches his guy immediately because he was injured. Horton, however, is still running for the dealer. 
“Listen son, stop running! I’m with the NSA! I just want to talk; you won’t get into trouble! I promise!” 
“Why should I listen to you, old man?” 
The dealer jumps onto the hood of a car and then onto a rooftop. Horton follows him with much hesitation because this is the type of thing he was trying not to do on this mission: running. After a while of running and jumping onto rooftops, Michaels appears out of nowhere and knocks the dealer out.  
“Woah! Where’d you come from?” Says Horton with a big smile on his face as he catches his breath.  
“I put the other one in our safehouse and came here on a motorcycle I may have borrowed from a friend here. “ 
“Well, I’m not sure I want to know how you got that motorcycle, but boy am I glad to see you here.” says Horton as they both laugh.  
As they make their way back to the safehouse on the motorcycle, Michaels pulls out his radio to contact agent Waller. 
“Agent Waller?” 
“Yes, Michaels. What is it?” 
“There’s been a problem with the operation...”  
Michaels and Horton explain everything that happened, and Waller has an idea to fix it. 
“Alright. The important part is that no one knows who you are other than those two gentlemen. Now, I can send the squad to relief you so you can come back. Get back to me when you’ve decided.” 
Horton thought a long time about Waller’s offer but then he realized that this was his last run. His last chance to prove to his family, to the agency, and to his friends that he was an amazing Agent. So, he rejected Waller’s offer and told Michaels that they were staying and finishing this job.  
“What do you know about the drug cartel that was supposed to be in that warehouse?” Horton asks the dealer. 
“I’m not going to tell you anything.” the dealer responds. 
“I’m sure the Hong Kong police would like us to hand you over, they don’t like people that don’t cooperate... But I’m sure you know that already.” 
“Alright! I’ll tell you everything.” says the terrified dealer after having heard Horton’s threat.  
“These guys come to me, and they tell me they would pay me a lot of money to sell just one of these packs full of this drug called vinipril.” 
“How come no one’s ever heard of it?” 
“Because no one was supposed to hear about it. Anyway, the warehouse was just a distraction; they’ve rigged all the warehouses in Hong Kong with bombs except one, but I don’t know which one. They said they would bomb them if they saw anyone looking at it for too long.” 
After having learned this, Horton contacts Waller. He tells her what the dealer told them and as they take the drugs from him and let him go, Horton comes up with something... 
“Listen Waller, can you have your guys tap into the satellite images of all the warehouses in Hong Kong? I want to know which one has had the most concentration of people going in and out.” 
“Alright, I’ve got one. It’s on Yuen Shin Road, it’s been abandoned for about 3 months.” 
“Isn’t that how much time you’ve been tracking this cartel? It all adds up... Alright, now you need to send in a team so that we can make the bust and no casualties will transpire. Waller, this is a serious and dangerous operation, so put your best guys on this. Trust me.” 
The next day, the team arrived at the safehouse and after some time of gearing up with all they got, the team ride in the van and stayed in it one block from the warehouse. Michael is at a bar that is right in front of the warehouse. Horton, however, goes undercover as a dealer who wants to deal for them.  
“I’m going in. On my go all of you break down the door and make the bust. Code word is ton, I’ll say after I get info from them and when I see the drugs. Copy?” Horton says as he’s about to knock on the door. 
“Copy.” says Michaels as he sips his coffee. 
“Copy.” says an agent on the squad in the van.  
As someone opens the door for Horton, he immediately sees the whole operation. There are about 7 people working on the making of the drugs. Then, in front of him, there are three men, all with guns, and they seemed to be American.  
“Yo, how’s it going? I’m a dealer looking for work and this would be an amazing opportunity for me.” 
“Alright but prove to us that you a dealer. What’s the name of this drug? Every dealer knows it.” 
“Vinipril.” The boss nods his head and someone hands him a little bag full of drugs.  
“So, how long has this been going on?” asks Horton with a little bit of hesitation in his voice.  
“About 3 months.” replies the boss. 
“What’s your name? I think we’ll be working together more often from now on.” 
“I’m Brick, that there is Lil Ricky and that’s Robby. Why you asking so many questions rookie?” 
“I like to know who I’m doing business with. This is a ton of vinipril by the way. “ 
After having heard that, Michaels and the squad met at the entrance. As Michaels signals ‘one, two, three’ to the squad with his fingers, they go in. Horton hears the door burst open and pulls out his pistol that he had in his baggy coat.  
“Everyone on the ground, right now!!” screams Horton as he holds his gun to Brick. 
The three men throw themselves on the ground knowing they have no chance of getting out of there. One of the people making the drug starts to run so Horton signals Michaels to get him. After everyone is in cuffs, Horton contacts Waller and tells her they made the bust.  
After they got everyone, the next day they got on the plane with all the people that were in the warehouse. Once they get back to Washington, they all immediately go to prison. As Horton is bringing Brick to his cell, he learns something that may change his mind about retiring. 
“Hey cop, all you did was get the little fish in the pond, me. Just know, I was just the beginning.” said Brick to Horton as he looked at Brick with confidence.  
“Don’t worry, we got you we can get whoever’s behind all this.” says Horton as he closes his cell door with a smirk on his face. 
After having retired, Horton goes back to his house with his wife and daughter.  
After a couple months, Horton receives a call from Agent Waller... 
“This is Agent Waller; you need to come back.” 
“I told you, I’m retired.” 
“We’re not done. What Brick said was true.” 
“I stand corrected, it wasn’t as easy as I thought. I’ll be there in 20.” says Horton with a smile on his face... 

This piece talks about an Agent working for the NSA, his name? Luke Horton. This is his last job for the National Security Agency, and he is very excited about it. Will he give this job up? Maybe, maybe not...