Traitor | Teen Ink

Traitor

Being high school sweethearts, Andrew and Iris has lived a perfect life, in a perfect house and had perfect jobs. They became the couple that everyone hated because of how much they loved each other. Although, Iris began to feel sick and Andrew constantly had to take care of her. After a while, she got better but things turned out to become different and Andrew became autonomous with himself and became a husband she didn’t recognize anymore.

Early morning, Andrew made his way to work and Iris usually stayed home but something felt suspicious that morning. A missing girl had been on the local news and had not been found yet. Iris says “Wow, this girl has been missing for a while now, I hope they find her soon” and Andrew just nodded and made his way out the door. The missing girl's name was Luna and was described as a 24-year-old, with green eyes, a green shirt with black shorts, and about a height of 5’4. After Andrew left, Iris heard the pipes moving downstairs. Because she heard that noise, she decided to check what was the problem with it. This house was a creation that Andrew made and Iris still struggled to find her way around the house since she didn’t know much about it. Iris believes that he had become different after her sickness but he was actually viewed as a selfish, hypocrite guy. The missing girl used to work with Andrew until she randomly disappeared. Andrew worked as a construction guy and fixed buildings. Even after a long day of work, he would always get his wife food for dinner. Andrews worked, Michael, asked “Have you seen my sister, she went missing a couple of days ago”, but Andrew said “No I haven’t seen her, she had left early from work before me the last time I saw her” and Michael nodded and walked away. At home, Iris was cleaning Andrew’s office and found a blueprint of the house and how it was built. While Iris was looking through Andrew's office, his laptop went off with a message from an unknown number. As she makes her way across the room to check her computer, Andrew had come home early and found her in his office. Andrew asked “ What are you doing honey”, as she tries to be capricious and trying to find something to say. Iris says “I was cleaning your office but it seemed to be clean already” and Andrew begins to stare at her and give her an ugly look. She walks out the door and seemed to realize that he installed locks on all doors around the house and only he had access. Later, at three pm, Andrew decides to take a phone call outside to plan a small gathering for that same day. Iris takes the same route to look for the unknown message on the computer and the secret button hidden in the office. As she looks and looks, she finds a picture of the girl on his laptop and tells herself “Why are there pictures of her on his laptop if she’s missing and is just a friend’s work”. Iris found it weird to see up-close pictures of the missing girl on his laptop. Eventually, Andrew was hungry as a bear and couldn’t wait so he went down to the city to get supper for the party. 

As Andrew leaves, he locks the door behind him and Iris makes her way to his office to figure out what is happening. Her heart was competing with her head to figure out if she should go look at his office again. After ten minutes of looking for the button, she finds it and decides to click on it. That leads her to a secret door and a secret basement. She dawdles to find her way into the basement downstairs and as she got closer, she seemed to realize that the pipes would just move on their own. Iris was scared as if a little kid saw a clown, she makes a left turn to notice that the lights were off. Iris walked towards the switch to turn on the light and found a girl, tied up to a metal chair, in her husband’s secret basement. She asks herself “Why is she in there? “Who is she?”, wondering why Andrew had a hidden girl. She got closer to the girl to remove the blindfold and it seemed to be the girl on her husband's laptop, the missing girl in the news, the lady he worked with. Iris was being bening toward her and explained to Luna that she will get out soon and will be able to return to her brother, Michael. Even when Andrew claimed to never have seen her, he was sure obsessed to have her in his basement. After 6 pm, guests began to arrive and so did Andrew. Iris had made a plan to act as if she didn’t know anything and told Luna to stay put until she came back. During the party, they were both in a good mood but Andrew had no idea Iris had found the basement downstairs. Andrew’s friend says “You really should fix your pipes, they’re loud.” Andrew just smiled back at him and Iris proceeds to ask “Why do the pipes move a lot, where are they even located?”. Andrew tells her “Don’t worry honey, the pipes will make no noise by tomorrow”. Andrew got a little tense and was calm knowing that nobody will ever know about his secret basement. Before the party, Iris makes her way down to the basement and tries to untie Luna. When she unties her, she tells her “ I will be right back” and Andrew was already inside the secret room, staring down at both his wife and Luna. Iris tries to fight Andrew by hitting him with the metal chair but she fails and he reacts by grabbing Iris and throwing her onto a cabinet to tie her up. Andrew was anthesis compared to the beginning and had become a kidnapper. Iris tells him, “How is it that you became such a ugly man and kidnap a girl when you have a wife at home” and Andrew responds “ It was time for me to be austere and have my own way in this house after taking care of you for months, it was time for me to be happy again. Iris looks at him with such disguise as her tears fall out like a waterfall.

Iris stares at him with frustration and anger while he says “I’m sorry honey, but I have to do this for me.” He then decides to go back to the party and announces that his wife went to bed early so the guest can start leaving. After the guest left, Andrew makes his way back to the basement where both his wife and the missing girl, Luna, seemed to not be seen. Andrew shouts “I did everything for you, I took care of you, join me and let’s keep the girl here, she will be safe, it can be our little secret.” Iris and Luna both had bats and hit Andrew in the head as he falls hard to the ground. He bleeds through and they tie him up in the same chair Luna was first tied to. Iris and Luna killed Andrew because he became a man that had an obsession with younger girls. Andrew’s dead body stayed in the basement and was taken after the police were called. Iris successfully got out with Luna as they both feel calm and free.

I am 16 years old and I am in 11th grade in highschool.