The Mirror | Teen Ink

The Mirror

By Aananya0209 SILVER, Dubai, Other
Aananya0209 SILVER, Dubai, Other

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift which is why we call it the present.

Rachel was a normal girl, she was popular with friends and had a nice house. Then her parents got new jobs and they moved houses. Then everything changed. They moved into an old house, it was big but old. Rachel went to a new school, she had no friends, nobody to sit with at lunch and her grades were terrible. Ruby on the other hand was doing great. Ruby is Rachel's twin sister. In the old house, she was unpopular, had one friend, had terrible grades and nobody would talk to her. In the new school, she was popular, had many friends, and had fantastic grades and her lunch table had many people. Rachel never liked Ruby, and now she hated her. At least Rachel got the bigger room because she was two minutes older than Ruby. but it was on the top floor. And she was a little scared. Ruby got a smaller room on the ground floor, and she was happy with it. Rachel got yelled at for her bad grades. Ruby´s parents loved her even more for her good grades. 

All the rooms had old furniture, Rachel had her own bathroom and everything, but she wasn't happy. She had a mirror that had red stains on the edges that wouldn't come off and they scared her. But she didn't let anyone know that.      One day she went to the bathroom and stared into her mirror, she was surprised when two blue eyes stared back. Rachel's eyes were brown, not blue, the person looked exactly like Rachel, except for the eyes, she had Ruby's blue eyes. Startled, she stepped back. WHO ARE YOU she yelled. The person in the mirror replied with the same voice. I'm Rachel… who are you?

It was a big mirror, so you could see your whole body, the imposter in the mirror was wearing Rachel's clothes too! RUBY!! Rachel yelled. Who's Ruby? Mirror Rachel asked. Ruby? My twin sister! I don't have a twin, mirror Rachel said. Lucky, Rachel said. I wish I had a twin,  Machel said. ( Machel is fake/mirror Rachel). Hmmmmm…. Rachel said. What? Machel said, Well, Rachel stepped INTO the mirror, it felt like cold water was being splashed onto her face, she shuddered as she took her big step. Suddenly she was standing next to  Machel. Well hello there…  

After mirror, Rachel stopped screaming, Rachel explained the plan. You go to my world, live with my sister, I stay in your world, have no siblings, and then we change back after a week. Ok!  Machel said. WAIT! Rachel said before  Machel stepped into the mirror. You need brown contact lenses. Yes,  Machel said, and you need blue. OK bye! Rachel said. In the mirror-verse Rachel was popular in school, she had lots of friends and good grades in this new opposite world. Everything was perfect. She even had dogs! 2! Dalmations! A boy and a girl. The girl's name was barbie and the boy's name was Dusty, and they were so cute! And even though she missed her sister, she loved her new life more. mirror Rachel on the other hand didn't know what to think. She wasn't popular, but she didn't mind, she fixed her grades and made new friends. And she LOVED her new sister. It was amazing! 

Soon a week was gone, so Rachel stood by the mirror, wanting to go home, she crossed over, again the cold shudder as the icy wind blew her to her dimension.  Machel was standing there. Rachel, I don't want to leave, she said. You have to! Rachel said.  Machel said, “NO, I don't.” She smiled. It was a scary smile. She had a knife in her hand. “Bye-bye, Rachel.” 

Rachel screamed as Machel threw the knife at her. They fought, and in the end, Rachel won. Rachel was dead. No more mirror Rachel. just Rachel. RACHEL COME FOR DINNER!! Ruby yelled. Coming! Rachel yelled. She put in her brown contact lenses to cover up her blue eyes. I'm not a mirror Rachel anymore. Just Rachel. She smiled at dead Rachel. The real Rachel. She shoved her body into the mirror and watched it float away. Then she skipped down the stairs and went to have dinner.

BLURB

It feels like Rachel and Ruby's lives have been switched, from grades to popularity, all Rachel wants to do is move back home. But when an opportunity to have a life without her twin comes, Rachel takes it no matter the consequences, she reflected the worst sides of her in the story "The Mirror".