Character Contest: Ming | Teen Ink

Character Contest: Ming

It was 2005 when Ming’s life would shift into a direction he never would have expected. Ming would accidentally find the cure for the disease that would save the world. 

This story begins on the small planet of Nayar. Nayar was isolated from the other planets in the solar system, and something was special about this planet. Unlike other planets, Nayar was the only planet to have the cure for the surging alien disease called “Levine”, which managed to infect 9/10 planets in the system. Nayar was the only planet left with a living population of humans. The landscape of Nayar was flat, and good for growing crops, specifically boba. Many of the humans on this planet were farmers, and Ming was one of them. In fact, Ming was a scientist that studied crops and its effect on humans. Ming was a very intelligent person, and he owned a small boba shop on the farmlands he lived on. He would produce his own boba, and would sell his seeds to other farmers around the area to grow. Ming would craft boba drinks with these seeds, and it was his main product he sold to consumers. After Levine wiped out the entire population of humans on other plants, Boba became the main food source for humans on Nayar. 

One day, Ming was walking through the farm fields when he noticed a strange plant starting to grow. This rotten-yellow plant stood out in the field, and was the size of a peanut. Ming noticed this plant was different from the rest, and he began to conduct experiments on it. He realized that this plant would appear when he planted boba seeds in a diamond shape. This plant would appear in the very center of this diamond. 

Ming lived in a field that was secluded from the majority of the population. The Levine disease spread across Nayar like wildfire. People were mysteriously dying and no studies were being done to fight this disease. Ming’s family of 3, including his wife and 2 sons, Nathaniel and Joey, were quarantined in their small farm. Nathaniel has shown symptoms of Levine, and these symptoms included the headaches, drowsiness, and coughing. Luckily enough, Joey and Ming showed no symptoms of Levine. 

In 2004, Ming’s family escaped the city of Halu moments before aliens came and raided it. Unfortunately, this disease infected Nathaniel. His family traveled across the planet and eventually settled on this farmland. Nathaniel had been sick for one year, and Ming was urgent to find a cure before he died. Because Nathaniel was careless, he decided to try this yellow plant for fun. Oddly enough, his headaches magically went away the moment he took a bite of it. When he took another bite, he stopped coughing and his drowsiness went away. Ming was astonished. Ming started mixing this yellow fruit in these boba drinks, and began selling it to other neighboring farms around him. He provided these drinks to anyone that was sick of Levine. People were desperate to give the cure to everyone they could, and Ming’s boba business grew dramatically. Entire fields were filled with this diamond-shaped pattern, and this yellow fruit was growing at incredible rates. Money was going up and Ming didn’t know what to do with it. 

In 2010, Levine finally disappeared. People of Nayar were cured and free of this disease. With Ming’s donations of money, Farmers and citizens in the area started to rebuild the city that the aliens once destroyed. Halu was reconstructed, and the economy started booming. Ming was elected president in 2011, but sadly passed away. Vice President Nathaniel took power and was ready to continue to lead the planet into the right direction.

Plot Twist: Ming’s second son, Joey, was a secret alien. Joey had created this alien disease that was infecting the world. All along, he had been studying the agriculture techniques of his father. No one knew how Ming came up with the cure, or the shapes he would create except Joey. Joey took his father’s strategy, and began planting the yellow plant in these patterns instead of using boba seeds. After planting the yellow fruit in a diamond pattern, a new purple fruit appeared. Joey split this fruit in half, and the juices flowed in the air and started to spread. The poison in the air was ready to end the world. 

Joey, the alien, was ready to continue what he once started. 

CHARACTER CONTEST